buying interstate has anyone done this ?

Guest caz

Hi everyone ,

Im getting very confused , we are wanting to buy a nissan elgrand from a dealer in melbourne he advertizes it had $22.950 drive away nothing more to pay . I take it this means its been registered to Vic but does that include stamp duty ? I thought you have to pay stamp duty on a car in SA and pay for registration in SA so if im right will I be paying twice ? Am I better off buying a car that doesn't say drive away nothing more to pay . If I do go for a private dealer how will I know if it legal seats 7 or 8 as some don't they can only legaly seat 4 ?

Another question is do you have to pay registration yearly ?

Its all really confusing me I just don't want to get ripped off so any advice on this would be appreciated

Thanks

caz:wink:

I bought a car from Melbourne and this is what happened.

The drive away cost includes Vic rego & stamp duty. The dealer will have a non drive away price - its not secret its just the base price from which he works out the drive away $$. So you pay the non drive away price + a fee that allows you to drive the car with no number plates or rego back to SA (the fee isn't much - $ 100 maybe). Be prepared to get stopped by every copper who will see you as an easy ticket - flash the Vic to SA form, smile, and mumble something like Pi** off to the said copper as you are totally legal. You will then have some time (can't remember how long - 14 days maybe) to go to your local rego dept and pay the rego, stamp duty and number plates. Infact if you go there first they will tell you all the SA costs based on the non drive away cost of the car.

Finally, and this is the best bit, look out of your window at the car and think how you will spend the $$ you saved. I bought a year old Ford Territory in Vic and the $ saving covered the 6 days holiday scenic drive home including hotels, food and fuel.

It really is very easy but don't expect the Vic dealer to know the SA costs as you will be no doubt aware, to Australians, interstate means inter-galactic!

Sorry, forgot to add, I remember having to go to my local police station to get the police to verify the VIN number even though I had the original Vic rego forms (again - inter-galactic)!

Get it checked aswell by someone over there, ask to see the rwc of the car, and maybe see if they could trailer it over the border. Am currently in talks with a dealer in syd that is willing to transport the car to me.