Driving licences

Guest leemina

Guest leemina

Been here 6 months now, and just realised that my Uk driving license is about to run out of date. If i was to go back to Uk on hols at some point, would my Oz license let me drive there, or should I just renew my Uk one now?? Thanks.

If you are PR or Ozzie license holder you can use your Ozzie license in the uk to drive. You can do that for 12 months, however if you return to the UK and you have not renewed your UK license, then I am under the impression you would need to reply for a UK licence.

Not sure what the time frame is but you may have to do an English test again

i would renew your English, just in case.

Been here 6 months now, and just realised that my Uk driving license is about to run out of date. If i was to go back to Uk on hols at some point, would my Oz license let me drive there, or should I just renew my Uk one now?? Thanks.

How is your UK licence set to expire? They last for decades.

Do you mean the photo ID part of it? That has a 10 year lifespan before you need to submit a new photo and so on. But the actual licence won't expire for eons. The paper part is the part that counts. You can get a new photo ID if you are resident in the UK with an address etc to send it to and state you are living at. But if you are moved to Aus and obviously don't have a UK address then I'd not worry about renewing the UK photo part. You'd be giving false information anyways as you'd have to give your UK residence address which you don't actually have.

And what was said above, if you visit for a holiday, driving on a Aus licence should be fine for hire cars etc iirc.

My husband's photocard expired whilst we lived in Adelaide. When we returned to live in the UK, I rang DVLA and asked them what we had to do. They said just get a new photo and send in the paper licence to renew the photocard. The actual licence doesn't run out but you have to renew the photocard.

You need to check 4b for the valid to date, the licence DOES run out...

its called a valid to date...

If your licence is not renewed within a certain period of time, you need to reapply. If it has just rainout you may receive the advise from the DVLA as above.

the Uk licence is only valid for ten years, although you can legal hold a licence until your 70

If you have any questions I suggest you contact DVLA to confirm, I guess the different answers you get on here will offer conflicting interpretations of the road traffic act, I know I'll be renewing mine every 9 years and 6 months...