The Vagaries of Shipping Companies

Misplaced

It happens to lots of people. Some get differences of more than that. Is it for a whole container or specific amount? The latter can vary more it seems.

Have you been over to PIO for their shipping comparison thread?

TBH, so long as you are not being ripped off and the company is reputable (there are some out there that seem to not fare as well in this respect) its down to personal preference really.

Guest vikkiann

We are 3/4 filling a 20ft, for sole use its coming in between £3500 and £4000.

The problem we have is that i think 2 of the companies were total idiots!

We are having our last quote on Friday then its decision time.

Guest chris.cluderay

we got a few prices and found i got on best with 'John masons' . i told them other prices and they lowered theres form 4400 to 3900 pounds (20ft rammed)

I dealt with Noel through the whole process and he was great, very helpfull and we still keep in touch now. they made it so easy.

They got a good website, get the number and ask for Noel. tell him you got reccomended by Chris Cluderay.:jiggy:

We've already had John Masons round and they are so far the 2nd cheapest but think we will be on the cusp of a 20ft container. My wife saw them and said they were okay but we weren't impressed when we saw the inventory as they had missed a few things off - things she splinted out deliberately. Before we started the process they were my favourites but not so are now.

We used John Masons and they were great. When you say thet missed some things off, dont worry, if you use them they send you a precise inventory and if they've missed things you add them on and they dont increase the price. We used the Liverpool branch and the two guys that came and did the packing were great, and watching them wrap wardrobes, washing machines and bikes etc like presents was an art form in its own right. As i think i've said before use an independant insurer its cheaper than the shipping companies.

Andy

Guest vikkiann

We had a quote from John Mason aand they'd missed the bunk beds and wardobes then their quote went up to just over £3500, i had to chase them for 2 weeks though to get the revised quote. Not using them!

Doree Bonner who are local and favourites at the moment as they have other incentives, ie $100 into a westpac account.

Pickfords, £4000 but said i couldn't have a copy of the items list until they'd loaded up, sounded too dodgy to me. I now have a hand written copy of what the surveyor marked on his visit but i'm not keen on them.

I like good customer service and DB are the only company that have offered it so far.

Robinsons are coming out tomorrow, wish me luck!

Vikki

Vikki,

Not really had major problems with any of them just missed a couple of things off like I said.

Strange with Pickfords as they provided a list and the number of cartons that each room would approximately use.

We haven't asked for Bonner to come out but have asked for Robinsons - you'll have to let me know how you get on with them as they are due to come out to us in the next couple of weeks.

Good luck,

Mis

Guest vikkiann

We've now had a quote from Robinsons and i must say they were the most professional out of all the companies.

We are going to be using them, they quoted £3685 for sole use, i think they have estimated we need 762 cubic feet.

We are using PSS, they came to pack yesterday & are back today to load the container, so far so good and would recommend them, they came in around £4k for 20ft container, have quoted 10 weeks for shipping to Adelaide so we will be around 2-3 weeks with no furniture but I'm sure we will survive. We also had quotes from Pickfords, White & Co & Crown all came in within £300 of each other & all negotiated.

Good luck

We are using PSS, they came to pack yesterday & are back today to load the container, so far so good and would recommend them, they came in around £4k for 20ft container, have quoted 10 weeks for shipping to Adelaide so we will be around 2-3 weeks with no furniture but I'm sure we will survive. We also had quotes from Pickfords, White & Co & Crown all came in within £300 of each other & all negotiated.

Good luck

Here's the reason we will not be using PSS http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/30026-removals.html#post221940

PSS have been faultless thus far and the company and some friends have used them lately and all has been well so I wouldn't let one persons bad experience put us off, then again ask me in May and it could be a different matter haha

QUOTE=Misplaced;222401]Here's the reason we will not be using PSS http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/30026-removals.html#post221940

I can give any man, woman and his dog a very good reason for not using Masons...3 months late and a hefty insurance claim & to top it off a point blank refusal to talk to us...not recommended...I also dealt with Noel...less said the better...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Chris Mark

Hi,

We have just started to get quotes in for the big move and have had the first quote back at over 5k for a 3/4 full 20ft container. We had budgeted around £3.5 - £4k and so were pretty disheartened with this quote. Who did you use to get this price, and was there much haggling to achieve it?

Thanks.

Guest Paula H

We have just had quotes from PSS and Doreen Bonner and they were quite reasonable

Prices were for a 10ft container and I haven't had to tell them what I'm taking.... Yet