Rental car for 2 wks - is that enough time to buy and get car on road ?

brucesbabe

Hi

Yes, we only had a car rental for 2 weeks and our first two weeks here were extremely hectic. The first day that the kids started school, me and hubby decided to buy 2 cars in that day - which we did and we had a budget of $12k for both!

Dont ask what we bought - suffice to say, the kids didnt want us to pick them up from school in it! lol

Yes, 2 weeks is fine in my opinion

Sarah

If you do your research first then 2 weeks ought to be OK - may be a bit rushed though. Look at http://www.carsales.com.au to see whats around - main dealers, independent dealers and private sellers use it. It may be worth getting your Aus licence first as it may (someonelese might clarify this) get you cheaper insurance. Remember that used cars normally aren't priced as 'drive away' so there will be stamp duty, rego and transfer fee - all of that is dependent on where you live and the cars value. Insurance is the same here as the UK - just look online for car ins and all will appear. Rego includes Third Party Only insurance.

Cars here have much shorter service intervals that the same models in Europe. Cynically I'd say its because Australians have always had it that way and so are used to being taped by dealers for serving costs but I have been told that its because the grade of diesel here is lower quality and the roads are much dustier - don't quite see how that equates to my wifes petrol Ford Focus that just drives on regular tarmac roads! Depending on what you are after you'll probably be shocked at the cost of 2nd hand cars V age/mileage. Forget UK levels of depreciation. Over here be it cars, lawnmowers etc etc Australians will buy new, keep for years, wear it out and then try to sell it at 75% of its new value!

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - DON'T TELL THE SELLER YOU HAVE JUST MOVED TO AUSTRALIA. SAY YOU'VE BEEN HERE FOR A FEW YEARS. DEALERS ARE LIKE SHARKS, EVEN THE ONES WHO APPEAR FRIENDLY, AND THEY CAN SMELL FRESH BLOOD. DEALERS ALSO WON'T APPEAR THAT INTERESTED UNLESS YOU ARE BUYING NOW. HAGGLE, STAND YOUR GROUND, AND WALK AWAY UNLESS YOU GET ALL THAT YOU WANT (WITHIN REASON).

If you want a Ford Territory TS AWD 2009 7 seater then mines up for sale.

Good luck.