Car rentals/dealers?

Guest Julesmc5

Guest Julesmc5

We are arriving March 5 and are trying to figure out how best to work the car.

We figured we would rent from Thrifty, but for how long? We don't have enough cash to purchase outright, so we thought perhaps we could lease from a dealership. Do they do short term leases, like 6 months or so? How hard is it going to be to get a vehicle with no credit history? And how long will it likely take?

Also, any migrant friendly dealers?

We're looking for a minivan, used is fine, nothing fancy required, except air-con.

Thanks for the help.

Juliamc

Hi, Not sure how viabl;e renting for six months would be but this is acompany who privide good 'bog standard' cars for a reasonable rental price. We have friends who go to Adelaide every year to work (in the music business) and they rent for three months at a time. they say it is cheaper the longer yuo rent for, so may be worth trying Acacia Rentals

http://www.acaciacarrentals.com.au/company.htm

Do you have meet & greet? If you do they will be able to take you to a reputable dealer. We used Brian Threadgold on Brighton Road but we only needed a little rental car for a week until we brought one, I am not sure I could recommend him for leasing long term.

There are heaps of rental companies, you will be spoilt for choice.

Guest Libby1971

A friend of mine used Brian last week. He was picking a family up from the airport and we waited a couple of minutes for him to get back. Seemed good enough.

I rang a few companies for prices adn most will give discounts if you are hiring for longer than a month. Howmuch would have to be negotiated by you I think.

Libby

• 2 months later...
Guest stickman

Yeah, it's a long shot but I don't suppose that there's anybody on here that works for a car rental place and that could offer mates rates? Hey if you don't ask... :embarrassed:

Guest Julesmc5
Yeah, it's a long shot but I don't suppose that there's anybody on here that works for a car rental place and that could offer mates rates? Hey if you don't ask... :embarrassed:

Check out thrifty online at the airport. We got a Toyota corolla for 36 a day. Suited 5 of us fairly well.

Guest Guest75

I thoroughly recommend Aussie Car Rentals.

They have looked after loads of people we know.

The lady called Ali who works there is an ex-pat.

http://www.aussiecarrentals.com.au/

For friendly car dealers I'd recommend Big Al at Peter James Motors in Edwardstown.

He is a good mate of mine and does look after people.Nice bloke and very helpful to new arrivals.

http://www.peterjamesmotors.com.au/

If you mention me he will call me a "Bl**dy whinging Pom" - which is a compliment in his book!!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest local lad

hi

you could buy a car cheaper for up to 1500 dollars and get somthing reasonable not many dealerships will lease here.i have a 500 dollar car thats lasted 9 months the kms may be higher but hey it works.

ta