When is the best time to migrate?

sinob

Hi there!

We just got our 176 visa grant this morning so I am thrilled and nervous in equal measure!! (ah no, more thrilled than nervous really!!!!!)

Now we are trying to decide when to make the move. We must validate before 22 Feb 2013. We have a 6month old and a three year old. Ideally I'd like the baby to have all his immunisations before moving, that will be end of October 2012.

I have read on here that everything slows down in the run up to Christmas. Does this mean that if we move in November my hubby (works in IT) won't have a chance of getting a job til January? I'm worried about leaving the move til January as we'd be going from Irish winter to Adelaide summer - quite a shock for the two little ones (and us!!).

Would really appreciate your advice and opinions.

I know we have little to worry about if this is the extent of it right now, but we need a deadline to focus on now!!!

Thanks in advance!!

Sinead

Guest heatherb

Great that's one less worry for you.

The guys out there will have a better handle on things than me. But I visited family over a christmas period (Aussie summer hols) and it felt just like the UK during the summer holidays, so everything did seem to slow down and I guess certain employment sectors will also slow down as well, but that might be quite nice to pitch up and give yourselves some breathing space if you can afford it.

You will cope with the heat, wear plenty of sun block, cover up, keep hydrated and keep to the shade and when it gets hot slow down to a pace you can cope with the heat.

Cheers,

H.

Leaving blighty end of April........

Thanks for the advice heatherb! I guess if we're prepared for the sun we'll be fine.

Good point about the breathing space... might be nice to get into things slowly!

If all else was equal we'd fly out next week! But we want to save as much as we can before heading over as we don't know how long it'll be before either of us gets work. At least the stressy visa-getting part is over :smile:

Best of luck with your move!! getting close now!

Sinead

Guest heatherb

Sure is we are pulling all the dates together now, flights, exchanging contracts and completion on the house, finalizing the shipping dates. My life revolves around giving stuff away, e-baying, and cleaning all the things we want to bring with us including the car and motorbike and trying to visit as many family members and chums as possible before we leave.

Only two weeks left at work and we have allowed two weeks for final packing, although the shippers will do the bulk of the work.

Good luck, the time will fly by and it's a great opportunity for you with a young family.

cheers,

Heather

Hi Sinead,

Congratulations!

I personally think that coming close to Christmas and the summer holidays could,possibly, make the move a little harder for practical and emotional reasons.

Holiday rentals are at their most costly and over-subscribed, companies are winding down but most of all, it can be a very emotional time as you have Christmas to cope with. I can see your kids are pretty small but if you think any of you might miss your extended family back in Ireland then perhaps celebrate one more where you are? if you have friends and family over here then I'm sure that won't apply and it seems that people on here are ready to extend a welcoming pair of arms, so perhaps that won't worry you :) I just thought I'd mention it.

So I guess that leaves before Christmas or up till Feb. I'm not up on visas or what immunisation comes at what point for babies but as far as I am aware (visa permitting?) vaccinations are free if you are under 18 and easily available. Would it work better to come before the baby's jabs are complete? Coming in late January/ February would still give you a little breathing space plus you could be here for Australia Day (26 January) join in the free celebrations, relax and think, "This is why we came!"

And there's nothing wrong with feeling nervous!

:wubclub: LC

Guest guest9403

Hiya Sinob...we left ireland last october...I thought if we stayed for one "last" christmas it would be harder.Its a terrible time to come job wise,my hubby was lucky and managed to get work (not at his prfession) 2 weeks before christmas,and other families that arrived around the same time as us are only starting to get work now.So for 4 mths they dont seem to hire at all.plus the whole process is slow...we found they can advertise a job for 3-4 weeks then take another week or so to short-list then you might be lucky to get an interview so all in all 8 week process,it may not work like that but please just be prepared,we ate into our savings big time,one a bond on a rental which is usually 6 weeks rent,then 2 weeks rent in advance,grocery shopping is at least double it is back home,you will prob need to buy a car,then pay rego on it,like insurance,petrol was cheapish but its steadily been rising since we got here.Clothes are very exspensive...no more "pennys"...most shops do "lay-by" where for a small handling fee you can put clothes,toys,household stuff etc.by and pay for it over an 8 week period!..There is great playgrounds for the kids that have barbies at them and these are free and great to do,other stuff ie.cinema,zoo etc...huge money and so not worth it! Not trying to frighten you off but we where so naive coming here and that was after what we thought was a lot of research,my hubby still cant get work at what he does,so hes working for less money than at home in a job he doesnt usually do,my son 6 mths down the road still hasnt managed to find work :-(...its an emotional roller-coaster coming here and nothing anyone can say will prepare you for what you will expierence,just save as much as you can,you are going to need it....good luck for your new adventure :-)

Guest bidsandrew

Hi Sinob, big congratulations on getting your visa!!

We came over middle of November last year and my husband has struggled to find work too. He has applied for so many jobs I cant even count them, in his trade and not. He did get a casual job driving a tractor for the wine harvest but that turned out only to be for 2 and a half weeks after being told it would be 6 - 8 weeks!! Not there fault just the harvest wasnt to good this year!!

Anyway in the last week and a half he has had an interview, got the job and had to turn down a further 3 interviews!! It really does seem that things really slow down between Nov and Feb and then start picking up again. We do however know people that came at sort of the same time and they have found work with no problems, so everyone has different experiences but in my opinion I would advise people not to come around the Christmas period unless they were absolutly sure they had enough savings to keep them going for a few months and were happy to use these savings to live on.

However, WE ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT HERE and wouldnt want to be anywhere else, even with the work issues!!

Good luck with it all and it will all work out in the end if you keep positive even through the hard times!! It is so so worth it!

Hi LC,

Thanks for your advice!

A very good point about Christmas - maybe for the benefit of our parents it's be nice for them to have the kids for a "last Christmas". Worth thinking about..

We were thinking that if we come in November I would have a chance of picking up some holiday work in hotels there - that was my career til I became a "homemaker" three years ago! Though not having previous Australian experience might work against that.

The one thing we are really worried about is not being able to get work for months and using up all our savings. (like everyone else I guess!!) That'd be okay if it was just the two of us, but with the two little ones it is a scarey prospect.

Anyway you've given me lots to consider, always good to hear a different point of view!

Thanks again

Sinead

Hi Sinead,

Congratulations!

I personally think that coming close to Christmas and the summer holidays could,possibly, make the move a little harder for practical and emotional reasons.

Holiday rentals are at their most costly and over-subscribed, companies are winding down but most of all, it can be a very emotional time as you have Christmas to cope with. I can see your kids are pretty small but if you think any of you might miss your extended family back in Ireland then perhaps celebrate one more where you are? if you have friends and family over here then I'm sure that won't apply and it seems that people on here are ready to extend a welcoming pair of arms, so perhaps that won't worry you :) I just thought I'd mention it.

So I guess that leaves before Christmas or up till Feb. I'm not up on visas or what immunisation comes at what point for babies but as far as I am aware (visa permitting?) vaccinations are free if you are under 18 and easily available. Would it work better to come before the baby's jabs are complete? Coming in late January/ February would still give you a little breathing space plus you could be here for Australia Day (26 January) join in the free celebrations, relax and think, "This is why we came!"

And there's nothing wrong with feeling nervous!

:wubclub: LC

Hiya Sinob...we left ireland last october...I thought if we stayed for one "last" christmas it would be harder.Its a terrible time to come job wise,my hubby was lucky and managed to get work (not at his prfession) 2 weeks before christmas,and other families that arrived around the same time as us are only starting to get work now.So for 4 mths they dont seem to hire at all.plus the whole process is slow...we found they can advertise a job for 3-4 weeks then take another week or so to short-list then you might be lucky to get an interview so all in all 8 week process,it may not work like that but please just be prepared,we ate into our savings big time,one a bond on a rental which is usually 6 weeks rent,then 2 weeks rent in advance,grocery shopping is at least double it is back home,you will prob need to buy a car,then pay rego on it,like insurance,petrol was cheapish but its steadily been rising since we got here.Clothes are very exspensive...no more "pennys"...most shops do "lay-by" where for a small handling fee you can put clothes,toys,household stuff etc.by and pay for it over an 8 week period!..There is great playgrounds for the kids that have barbies at them and these are free and great to do,other stuff ie.cinema,zoo etc...huge money and so not worth it! Not trying to frighten you off but we where so naive coming here and that was after what we thought was a lot of research,my hubby still cant get work at what he does,so hes working for less money than at home in a job he doesnt usually do,my son 6 mths down the road still hasnt managed to find work :-(...its an emotional roller-coaster coming here and nothing anyone can say will prepare you for what you will expierence,just save as much as you can,you are going to need it....good luck for your new adventure :-)

Hi Celticboy39,

Thanks for your advice!

It's good to see what costs there are so we can be prepared. We'll have to stock up on Penney's clothes for the little ones before we head off!!

Things are quite hard here right now and not showing any signs of improving so I don't think we have anything to lose by heading to Adelaide.

Thanks for the tip about recruitment being quite slow, we'll have to factor that one in.

Cheers,

Sinead

Hi Sinob, big congratulations on getting your visa!!

We came over middle of November last year and my husband has struggled to find work too. He has applied for so many jobs I cant even count them, in his trade and not. He did get a casual job driving a tractor for the wine harvest but that turned out only to be for 2 and a half weeks after being told it would be 6 - 8 weeks!! Not there fault just the harvest wasnt to good this year!!

Anyway in the last week and a half he has had an interview, got the job and had to turn down a further 3 interviews!! It really does seem that things really slow down between Nov and Feb and then start picking up again. We do however know people that came at sort of the same time and they have found work with no problems, so everyone has different experiences but in my opinion I would advise people not to come around the Christmas period unless they were absolutly sure they had enough savings to keep them going for a few months and were happy to use these savings to live on.

However, WE ABSOLUTLY LOVE IT HERE and wouldnt want to be anywhere else, even with the work issues!!

Good luck with it all and it will all work out in the end if you keep positive even through the hard times!! It is so so worth it!

Hi bidsandrew!

Thanks for your advice - glad to see that you love it even though it has obviously been a worrying time for you both.

You make a very good point about being happy to use your savings to live on - we'd like to be able to hang onto our savings to buy a house at some stage in the future so that one's worth thinking about - we'll have to decide where our priorities lie!!!

I think we'll have to consider moving out before well before November if we want to avoid the holiday slow down.

Still very excited about it all though!!!! We've been talking about this for 7 years so it's about time we did it!!!

Best of luck to your husband in his new job!

Thanks again

Sinead

its only hot outside in the sun, inside in air con its nice, in the winter you'll need heating..we arrived in 91 from snow to 38oc

stevo

Hi Stevo,

Good point - as long as we get a place with air con so! Wow you must have had some shock getting off the plane!

I just have a vision of us in the first week with two sunburnt kids and both of us sweltering in the heat trying to find our way around to register with tax, centrelink, medicare etc and getting heatstroke!!! Maybe I'm just being over-anxious?!

Thanks for reminding me about air con :smile:

Sinead

Guest Rachael Reeve

We have not long been back in the from oz and it was nice and warm. We make the move over on the 28 April think it matbe alittle bit cooler. Dont think i could move over i the summer.

Guest teamV

Two weeks after its goes back to 3 dollars to the pound:biglaugh:

We are arriving in June ,there's been loads of posts about how hard it can be to find a job over christmas,

my advice with jobs is get intouch with who you want to work for ,or company's that employ in your chosen feild ,don't wait to be asked ,be pushy it shows your keen.

Kev.

Guest pixie7

Hi we arrived 10th Jan- we decided to do the last big family xmas thing. Its a lovely time to arrive in some ways- gorgeous weather, lots to do, but we did end up running around doing all the essentials including Ikea trips and house moving in 99 degree heat lol!! How Im nt a size 6 i shall never know- I should have sweated it all away!

My OH is in IT and everything shuts down! Beware!! He registered with agents and there were positions but as someone else mentioned its very very slow- we kept getting told the manager/recruitment etc were still on holiday/at the cricket etc and dont start back until after Australia Day! So OH did secure work- contracting at the beginning/mid feb I think it was and is just finishing at one place and has now got a fab permanent job but really nothing happened job wise in the IT sector until about the 2nd week of February so be prepared financially to lay out on everything with a sick feeling you might not get work- but just have the faith that you will- it will all come good but it can be frustratingly slow!

Just a bit of advice for OH- approach agencies before he comes out with cv and try to set up registration meetings asap. What area of IT does he work in? My OH did network/sys admin/servers etc

Goodluck xx

Guest Watkinsfamily

Hi Helen,

Are you teaching yet? How is it going on the job front for you? I hope to be there by July 2013 and just want a feel for how tricky it is to get any form of Primary teaching work. Many thanks enjoy X

Hi we arrived 10th Jan- we decided to do the last big family xmas thing. Its a lovely time to arrive in some ways- gorgeous weather, lots to do, but we did end up running around doing all the essentials including Ikea trips and house moving in 99 degree heat lol!! How Im nt a size 6 i shall never know- I should have sweated it all away!

My OH is in IT and everything shuts down! Beware!! He registered with agents and there were positions but as someone else mentioned its very very slow- we kept getting told the manager/recruitment etc were still on holiday/at the cricket etc and dont start back until after Australia Day! So OH did secure work- contracting at the beginning/mid feb I think it was and is just finishing at one place and has now got a fab permanent job but really nothing happened job wise in the IT sector until about the 2nd week of February so be prepared financially to lay out on everything with a sick feeling you might not get work- but just have the faith that you will- it will all come good but it can be frustratingly slow!

Just a bit of advice for OH- approach agencies before he comes out with cv and try to set up registration meetings asap. What area of IT does he work in? My OH did network/sys admin/servers etc

Goodluck xx

Hi Helen,

Thanks for the advice, it was very useful!

My husband works as a Software Tester. From what you've said about your OH's experience he's going to look at contracting at first.

We have decided to move in August, to give him more time to find work, plus winter in Adelaide is prob comparable to an Irish summer! :smile:

He will def take your advice and try to set up meetings before we arrive.

Thanks again!

Sinead