Advice on packing/shipping

mattyegg

Hello All

Our boxes have recently been delivered to allow us to start packing up. We are only taking 20 or so boxes with items such as small kitchen appliances, computers, games consoles, toys etc…

We have a lot of crockery, glasses, cutlery etc… given to us as wedding gifts 4yrs ago which have never been used, most of which is still in it’s original packaging.

Will it be ok to ship in the original packaging as it’s quite sturdy or should we look to ditch the packaging so the items don’t look as though they’ve never been used?

I’m sure I read a similar post a while back but I can’t find it.

Any info greatly appreciated.

Matt

Guest guest9403

They say you must have owned things for at least 12 mths before shipping them but it is bigger items and more to do with electrical ones,i too brought wedding pressies in original boxes without any problems and 2 brand new beds still in the shop packaging!! Its soil matter and bacteria they dont want coming into the country so what your bringing will be fine...:-)

Hi Matt,

I would advise you ditch anything in original packaging, as all personal items are supposed to be at least 12 months old and will be subject to import tax if not. Believe me they do go through everything, so no hiding and hoping they don't spot. We used professional shippers and we still managed to have 3 items confiscated and destroyed by customs lol.

Good luck

Darren.

Guest The Dimmocks

We too had lots of wedding presents (6 years old at the time) that were in originaly packaging, glasses, photo frames, dinner sets etc. Just declare on the box that they wedding gifts (as our packers did) we had no problems.

Guest Deano1970

We shipped most our things in originall boxes, new microwave, new Kirby Vacumn, new oven and new mattress in box. Burke bros wrapped them in thier wrapping. Quarantine only checked the mop and a Vacumn no probs. all our container was uploaded In shippers warehouse not the port so it's up to you what you do really. Things arnt cheap here so if you need new mattress or bed bring from uk white goods are exspensive as well. I still have car in Uk which I am shipping out as we paid $4000 for a 1998 mondeo which would be worth about £250 in uk. Dont get rid of anything that works ok.

Guest Deano1970

We shipped most our things in originall boxes, new microwave, new Kirby Vacumn, new oven and new mattress in box. Burke bros wrapped them in thier wrapping. Quarantine only checked the mop and a Vacumn no probs. all our container was uploaded In shippers warehouse not the port so it's up to you what you do really. Things arnt cheap here so if you need new mattress or bed bring from uk white goods are exspensive as well. I still have car in Uk which I am shipping out as we paid $4000 for a 1998 mondeo which would be worth about £250 in uk. Dont get rid of anything that works ok.