never again

Guest Yankmedownunder

Guest Yankmedownunder

We have moved from Portland, Oregon to Adelaide, Australia.

I hope we can laugh about this in a couple of years from now, but....

We used a shipping company (PM me for the name of them). They came exactly on the day, and at the time they said they would drop off the container. This would have been a perfect start, but the semi driver ran over a vintage apple tree at the end of the driveway. It would have been wiser to have sent out a short body semi to a rural area. Vintage apple trees can't be replaced, at the risk of stating the obvious.

We, being educated, understand that the shipping time is a best guess scenario, but being educated, we do not understand the lack of information they are willing to grace their client with. They seem to have no understanding that they are transporting your whole life, and that you would want to know where it is and if it's safe. there is no regard that the things we trust them with are valuable to us. So, they earned a resounding failing grade, when they announced that our belongings would arrive on the 21st, and not a word came when that day came and went. The next suggested day of arrival was the 6th, and then the 3rd, of the following month. All the while, we had to beg for information, and we received a terse statement that they could not control the sea. Which was childish. They seemed to be telling us that we dare not be asking for information, nor be worried.

Upon arrival in Australia, they directed our inquiries to a completely different person who has exactly the same lack of understanding that we care about our home. The company was called Vanlines. When the address was googled the map showed a dodgy looking neighbourhood, not a business. ???

Again, there was a long spell with absolutely no communication.

Suddenly, we find that quarantine is taking apart every box, then we find out that customs is going along behind them doing the same. This is also information that we had to prise from them.

Mind you, we attempted to do as much research over the internet about what NOT to put in our container as we could, and it was VERY vague. We basically understood that they only searched one out of every 200 containers. Not one word from the container company that would help.

Quarantine took some fake plants, and some Christmas decorations, We had to pay a small sum to have them destroyed.

Customs found a small knife and 2 bullets, and we had to pay to have them destroyed as well.

Customs decided that the liquor my husband had brought for his liquor cabinet required a large fee, we told them to destroy it. Humorously enough, they asked us to sign an abandonment form that authorised them "to dispose of the alcohol as they saw fit" ...Legal theft. How funny.

Our belongings left our home on 8, January. Today is 9, April. We still have no belongings.

The entire problem is this. We paid up front. Now that they have been paid they will bring us our things when they feel like it. We can not get angry, or they will keep it longer or damage it all. At this point they could have stolen it all and sold it off and we have no recourse. All we have to do now is sit on our floor and take their abuse. The most frustrating part in this entire endeavour, is the lack of information they give us, we don't like begging for word of our possessions that we paid them to care for.

We have had plenty of time to shop around and weigh whether or not a shipping container was worth it, and yes, the things we would have to re-buy would cost well more than the cost of shipping.

To avoid the drama here is what we suggest.

When packing, if in doubt, ask. Contact customs to determine if an item will be approved. This is not easy, finding a phone number is a challenge, and getting a straight answer is more difficult. Do not use fruit boxes. Be prepared to have patience tested.

Bother your shipping container company. Remind them that this is your life they are shipping, and they need to inform you at every stage. They will not volunteer anything to you. But don't expect them to. Be prepared to have patience tested.

When given an arrival time frame, add three weeks to that. They do not understand, or care that renting lodging will eat your capitol and if you rent a home, you will be sitting on the floor and eating off plastic forks. Be prepared to have your patience tested.

Quarantine and Customs fees will vary, so do not expect the shipping company or anyone else to help you with that knowledge. just set aside about a $1000 dollars and hope they want less than that. If it's only $55.00, then you have rent money.

Hugely important as well, before packing your belongings, video tape your way through your home and log your belongings as you pack, remember to list anything of value over $100 or $200. EVERYTHING. If anything is lost, stolen, or damaged, the insurance will NOT reimburse you if it is not on that list. Take care to do this. It will be that item not listed that gets damaged, and you will have moved it only to throw it away.

Be prepared to feel as if these people, who don't seem to care about your worry and discomfort, are holding your belongings hostage. You WILL be at their mercy and they know it, you have already paid them and they have no incentive. There is absolutely no customer service. Be prepared to have your patience tested.

Today is the last day of the Easter holiday and before last week we were all paid up and all they had to do is bring our belongings to us, but the holiday was coming and they could not be bothered to work so close to the holiday, so we sat here in our borrowed plastic chairs and slept on our air mattresses. But the thing that bites the most is that the shipping container guy just had to say "Not this week because of the holiday, but we'll see you on Wednesday." But, no that would have given us hope, or a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. Now we still have no idea how to arrange our lives. Again. This made me so angry, and I'm so tired of camping that I feel ready to call the police and report a theft. My patience has been tested and worn down. Best of luck to you. I will pray for you if you have children with you.

I'm sure it will be like Christmas to go through all this stuff again!

Edited by Adelaide_bound
PM OP for name of company used.

Guest marcandjo

goodness me i feel for you soo much, these people just dont have a clue how stressful emmigrating can be without the added stress of dealing with incompetent arrogant people who have your money and your posessions, can you not contact an ombudsman or someonne to sort this out?

where are u staying at the moment, if you need anything there is a lady who is off this site, who loans household items for fresh immigrants she actually lives close to me, so if you need anything we could arrange some items, she ahs everything you could think of?

in box me if you need to,

im not religious but feel the need to say "have faith" this nightmare could not persist,

Guest Barney Rubble

Man that is a saga !

Karma is the word that comes to mind, they'll get theirs but the trouble is will the recognise it.

How does the saying go, That that does not kill me will only make me stronger !

On the bright side . . . . . . .

Your better than they are, patience is a virtue and if, sorry WHEN, you get your stuff back you WILL have a chuckle and move on to a better life than these miserable people will :biggrin:

Guest leeannekays

Wow, that is dreadful yankmwdownunder. Just can't believe a company would treat you like this and not even care. We emigrate in 2 weeks and I am very concerned as our house sale fell through a 2nd time, I am worried the money we have won't be enough as not sure how much we will need to secure a rental, buy a car .

Keep us posted on it all.

Leeanne

Guest Adelaide_bound
Our things were picked up from the UK in July and arrived at our home here after Christmas - 5 very long months. We complained to the ombudsman but guess what - got nowhere.

I hope that that you get some good news soon.

Sorry to hear you didn't have any luck with the Ombudsman - we had issues with a move in the UK (from London to the Midlands) and whilst we had to go through many stages, the Ombudsman was very very helpful and fair, and even though the company ignored their ruling, eventually they made the company conform to their decisions. It did take quite a while, and was a very long haul, but very much worth it, if only to confirm I wasn't going mad, wasn't completely out of line in my expectations and they were in the wrong.

The Ombudsman was very clear that we had to have gone through all the other channels first though, and that they very much were the last resort (which we had already done), so if that was perhaps the issue, I would say from our experience don't give up, write lots and lots of letters/emails (don't do ANYTHING on the phone), and persevere.

Yankmedownunder - sorry you had such a bad time of it with regards to shipping - I think a forum like this is very useful with issues like shipping with regards to what you can and can't ship, I know I used both here and PomsinOz to check with others what their experience of things had been. Whilst Ozzie customs aren't easy to get on the phone, you can email quite easily and get a response, it just does take a few weeks unfortunately, but we found them ultra helpful at every stage of the way. I hope you don't have any further delays and manage to get your things without any further stress, good luck :)

how awful. i feel your frustration. we had a similar experience. the company we used basicaly held ours hostage because we complained about the delay" they sent the stuff to holland instead" they then decided they where going to add an extra 500 pounds for paperwork that wasn't filled out properly, refused to had it over until we paid it. eventually we got it sorted out from the office at this side, and guess what , we didnt owe them a penny. hope you get everything sorted out x

We have moved from Portland, Oregon to Adelaide, Australia.

I hope we can laugh about this in a couple of years from now, but....

We used a shipping company (PM me for the name of them). They came exactly on the day, and at the time they said they would drop off the container. This would have been a perfect start, but the semi driver ran over a vintage apple tree at the end of the driveway. It would have been wiser to have sent out a short body semi to a rural area. Vintage apple trees can't be replaced, at the risk of stating the obvious.

We, being educated, understand that the shipping time is a best guess scenario, but being educated, we do not understand the lack of information they are willing to grace their client with. They seem to have no understanding that they are transporting your whole life, and that you would want to know where it is and if it's safe. there is no regard that the things we trust them with are valuable to us. So, they earned a resounding failing grade, when they announced that our belongings would arrive on the 21st, and not a word came when that day came and went. The next suggested day of arrival was the 6th, and then the 3rd, of the following month. All the while, we had to beg for information, and we received a terse statement that they could not control the sea. Which was childish. They seemed to be telling us that we dare not be asking for information, nor be worried.

Upon arrival in Australia, they directed our inquiries to a completely different person who has exactly the same lack of understanding that we care about our home. The company was called Vanlines. When the address was googled the map showed a dodgy looking neighbourhood, not a business. ???

Again, there was a long spell with absolutely no communication.

Suddenly, we find that quarantine is taking apart every box, then we find out that customs is going along behind them doing the same. This is also information that we had to prise from them.

Mind you, we attempted to do as much research over the internet about what NOT to put in our container as we could, and it was VERY vague. We basically understood that they only searched one out of every 200 containers. Not one word from the container company that would help.

Quarantine took some fake plants, and some Christmas decorations, We had to pay a small sum to have them destroyed.

Customs found a small knife and 2 bullets, and we had to pay to have them destroyed as well.

Customs decided that the liquor my husband had brought for his liquor cabinet required a large fee, we told them to destroy it. Humorously enough, they asked us to sign an abandonment form that authorised them "to dispose of the alcohol as they saw fit" ...Legal theft. How funny.

Our belongings left our home on 8, January. Today is 9, April. We still have no belongings.

The entire problem is this. We paid up front. Now that they have been paid they will bring us our things when they feel like it. We can not get angry, or they will keep it longer or damage it all. At this point they could have stolen it all and sold it off and we have no recourse. All we have to do now is sit on our floor and take their abuse. The most frustrating part in this entire endeavour, is the lack of information they give us, we don't like begging for word of our possessions that we paid them to care for.

We have had plenty of time to shop around and weigh whether or not a shipping container was worth it, and yes, the things we would have to re-buy would cost well more than the cost of shipping.

To avoid the drama here is what we suggest.

When packing, if in doubt, ask. Contact customs to determine if an item will be approved. This is not easy, finding a phone number is a challenge, and getting a straight answer is more difficult. Do not use fruit boxes. Be prepared to have patience tested.

Bother your shipping container company. Remind them that this is your life they are shipping, and they need to inform you at every stage. They will not volunteer anything to you. But don't expect them to. Be prepared to have patience tested.

When given an arrival time frame, add three weeks to that. They do not understand, or care that renting lodging will eat your capitol and if you rent a home, you will be sitting on the floor and eating off plastic forks. Be prepared to have your patience tested.

Quarantine and Customs fees will vary, so do not expect the shipping company or anyone else to help you with that knowledge. just set aside about a $1000 dollars and hope they want less than that. If it's only $55.00, then you have rent money.

Hugely important as well, before packing your belongings, video tape your way through your home and log your belongings as you pack, remember to list anything of value over $100 or $200. EVERYTHING. If anything is lost, stolen, or damaged, the insurance will NOT reimburse you if it is not on that list. Take care to do this. It will be that item not listed that gets damaged, and you will have moved it only to throw it away.

Be prepared to feel as if these people, who don't seem to care about your worry and discomfort, are holding your belongings hostage. You WILL be at their mercy and they know it, you have already paid them and they have no incentive. There is absolutely no customer service. Be prepared to have your patience tested.

Today is the last day of the Easter holiday and before last week we were all paid up and all they had to do is bring our belongings to us, but the holiday was coming and they could not be bothered to work so close to the holiday, so we sat here in our borrowed plastic chairs and slept on our air mattresses. But the thing that bites the most is that the shipping container guy just had to say "Not this week because of the holiday, but we'll see you on Wednesday." But, no that would have given us hope, or a light at the end of the long, dark tunnel. Now we still have no idea how to arrange our lives. Again. This made me so angry, and I'm so tired of camping that I feel ready to call the police and report a theft. My patience has been tested and worn down. Best of luck to you. I will pray for you if you have children with you.

I'm sure it will be like Christmas to go through all this stuff again!

Very sorry to hear such a horror story. Sounds like you have been through a nightmare.

Just to add balance to this thread, so as not to scare any newbies. We brought everything we owned with us in a 20' container, and never had a single problem from our UK door to our Aussie door. Also, pretty much all the ex-pats we know over here had no problems with their shippers.

Paul

Guest Yankmedownunder

Hi!

Thank you for your reply!

My husband and I have all that we need!

We are in Aldinga and love it very much!

Where are you at?

We have decided to help anyone that we can too!

Sunny

Guest Yankmedownunder

Thank you for your kind words!

I know they are just doing the best they know how, but I wonder if there are others immigrating who may be better prepared if they know the pitfalls!

Sunny

Guest Yankmedownunder

I'm glad it all worked out for you!

We are fine because we have each other!

It's so nice to hear that I am not the only one that has been singled out tho!

I have faith that this will be over soon!

Sunny

Guest Yankmedownunder

Holy cow that's awful!

I'm so sorry that happened to you!

Actually, I had never heard of an ombudsman until people had started to respond to my letter!

I wish there was something that could be done about innocent people being put through such drama!

I guess that this is what we're trying to do by sharing with each other!

Thanks for your response!

Sunny

Guest Yankmedownunder

Wow! I guess I'm stupid!

I was replying to each one of you and my replys didn't stay with the message I was replying to!

Sorry.

Sunny

we also had a fairly hideous experience a couple of years ago however as far as I can tell no one has had problems with the shipping company that we used to bring our belongings over.

I can laugh now but was far from laughing at the time.

The container arrived at our uk address on 24th sept, due to be shipped to oz early october, ready for us to collect late nov, unfortunately it went to antwerp, not oz and then when it finnally arrived we had similar problems to you with getting it from Adelaide to where we live.

Luckily my inlaws travelled from Queensland to help us out but with 4 kids I don't know if I was relieved to se the container on 24th Dec or too worried that our first christmas would be terrible!!!

As I said, everyone else has raved about the company, perhaps we were unlucky however we received no compensation for stuff that was damaged as by the time the container arrived and we unpacked it the claim time was up!

Not going anywhere soon however and I do think we were just unlucky

Very settled now though and staying put!!

Rach x

I'm so sorry for all you guys have been through. I wish I could help you guys somehow. But there is light at the end of the tunnel, even with all the hardship that you've endured all this time. Good luck guys and keep us posted. I hope that the next thread I read from you guys tells us all how wonderful everythings turned out for you guys.

Cheers:smile:

Wow what a trauma, we must be the only people happy with our container service. We used Crown relocations from the uk, the guys there packed every thing A1, told us what couldn't be shipped, the container left the UK Jan 24 2012, they gave us the name of the ship and we could track it daily on the net, our things arrived last week not a thing damaged or lost customs opened loads of boxes, nothing was questioned from the whole 20ft container, and I had four bikes two tents fishing and a bottle of vintage brandy stashed. RESULT!!!

Hi Sunny

A few years ago, some friends of mine moved to Adelaide from the UK. They hired a company in the UK who promised a door-to-door service for their container. This company ceased trading whilst the container was on the high seas but the local agents in Adelaide said not to worry.

The container arrived in Adelaide and was impounded by the Port Authority, who demanded $1,000 for some sort of Port fee that had not been paid by UKCO. The local agents refused to pay it.

I contacted a solicitor friend of mine in Melboure, who said to threaten the local agents with something called "Unconscionable Conduct." I don't know exactly what that is because my friends turned out to be sharing the 40ft container with a girl who was heading for Adelaide as a Legal Secretary. My friends' goods were at one end of the container and the girl's goods were at the other end, apparently. She got her solicitor-employers on the case, who threatened everyone and got the container released, I was told.

I don't know what constitutes "unconsconable conduct" in a contract but it seems to be a very effective threat. It might be worth getting some professional advice from a solicitor in Adelaide, perhaps?

Cheers

Gill

Edited by Gollywobbler
typos