In hindsight, what should you have (or not) brought for the kids

Guest USA soon just SA

Guest USA soon just SA

Now that we have our visa, we are starting to think about what to pack in the container, and what to bring on the plane with us. We would like to know from the experience of others what you wish you had brought with you (to arrive with you) and what you wish you hadn't wasted space/weight with. We can get a feel for what we will need as adults, but still want advice, particularly for what is most valuable for the kids to have considering that this stuff is all that they will have in the world for a month or two. I know you guys have thought about it, so we would like to hear your suggestions, even if you think that it would just be too obvious anyways.

Thanks in advance, and see you in october!

For our son to actually have till the container arrives I will be packing his clothes, shoes and a his favourite small toys. And about half a dozen favourite books for the flight and the first week or so. And also taking his favourite duvet cover and pillowcase so he has familiar bedding in a new setting. Or may let him choose a new set to take with us to start using there. Depends on what he would rather do. Also a couple of pics of the family here in the UK he can have in his room.

I also plan to airfreight some more books and a few larger toys to help him last till the container arrives. We shall also treat him to a few new toys once we land in Aus. The airfreight should land soon after we do so he won't have to go too long.

Definetly dont bring curtains. They never fit the windows here, as they all so much bigger.

Also in hindsight, i would have spent much more time with my loved ones in those last few days, instead of rushing round...start early and be organised, so in those final days you can relax and spend time with loved ones. We thought we were organised, but was still a rush in last few days. You never know when your gonna get to see them again.

Guest pixie7

When packing (sorry if this is obvious!) but remember that whilst youre in holiday accomodation you will have everything but once in rental you will have nothing! So be prepared to buy/take all the little things- kitchen bits, knives, forks, pans, bottle opener etc (Kmart etc do cheap sets), kettle, toaster etc, duvet - as we knew we would need these asap we didnt ship them we bought new . Towels, warmish clothes as well as t shirts etc- getting cooler at night...er basically bring as much as poss in suitcases- we know people here who still haven't got their container- will be 5 months since they said goodbye to it! So be prepared for delays!!

We did much the same as Snifter suggests- apart from duvet covers and our clothes, we thought carefully about what the kids connected with being at home and so brought their special plates, most-loved toys and cuddlies, a couple of ornaments and things they had made and valued and so on.

Sounds a fair bit -it wasn't!- but it did mean that amidst all the strange, new things there were some comfortable reminders to link the present with their past.

:wubclub: LC

Guest USA soon just SA

Thanks for the comments. It is helpful to hear no "I wish I hadn't brought THAT for the kids", it helps me know that we shoudl be able to effectively estimate what would ease the time the most for the children in this time of disruption. I also think that with everything being so foreign (sorry for that), the things they do have from "home" will have much more significance.

Thanks again

O yeah, Lazy Cow has reminded me. Son's favourite mug for his hot chocolate milk in the morning (he is a really early riser and loves his morning hot milk any time of the year). And probably his plate, cups and so on. We'll also make sure we have some DVD's of his fave TV programmes (sure CBeebies is in Aus but not all of them air there) and stuff like that he can watch on the laptop if he wants.

And I fully plan on bringing a few packs of his favourite nibbles and a big jar of Marmite. He and I both adore Marmite and eat it daily pretty much.