Container and what stuff to ship

Guest beckeithking

Guest beckeithking

Good post!! I was wondering about linen and things like favorite shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/hair products etc - felt they were very expensive when last in Adelaide.

Can we take a box in our container - I am buying up the "buy one get one free" deals.

Thought Target or Kmart might be ok for linen though, and kids clothes.

Kitchen things - should I bring it all?

Sorry have hijacked your initial post USA soon just SA!!!

Bec xx

Good post!! I was wondering about linen and things like favorite shampoo/conditioner/shower gel/hair products etc - felt they were very expensive when last in Adelaide.

Can we take a box in our container - I am buying up the "buy one get one free" deals.

Thought Target or Kmart might be ok for linen though, and kids clothes.

Kitchen things - should I bring it all?

Sorry have hijacked your initial post USA soon just SA!!!

Bec xx

You can take those things. I'd get a clear plastic container to box it all in. That way if it leaks it won't get other stuff messy.

TBH I wasn't overly impressed with bedlinen quality or prices (towels also) and kids clothes so I plan to stock up for at least the next year upwards when we move. Sure I'll buy some bits over there kids clothes wise but I shall take a heap of clothes and shoes to last a year at least. I liked some Aussie clothes shops but as we'll be moving over in early Aus spring our son would still fit all his UK summer worn clothes so its fine for me to stock up for the next size up before we leave. I'll buy winter clothes in Aus when the season comes round.

And kitchen stuff. I plan to take it all pretty much. Utensils, dinner service, serving bowls, pans, slow cooker, cafetiere, the lot basically. Its taken me years to accumulate all that stuff and no way do I want to buy all new once I land in Aus. Some of my stuff is good quality and will last years and while buying new once there would be doable, I doubt I'd get stuff I actually liked to want to use long term. Sure I'll buy a few bits to make do till the container but thats ok. But the bulk of my kitchen stuff would cost an arm and a leg in Aus and I ain't prepared to chance not finding what I want there.

Guest pixie7

Yep kmart, target, big w etc all have cheap kitchen stuff and duvets, pillows, towels and cheap clothes... in fact everything! It is cheap so the quality isnt amazing but for us we felt it wasnt worth shipping kitchen stuff, appliances etc we did bring bedding- duvets covers, sheets etc but just went in and bought kitchen pack, pans, pillows, duvet, toaster, kettle, iron etc- no hassle and cheap! I would say dont bother with shampoo etc unless you have a particular favourite- places like kmart, big w, reject shop all do the usual brands and are cheap. Also remember you will need all the house stuff as soon as you are in your own rental so if you are still awaiting container to arrive you will end up with 2 lots of everything!

Honestly we found the less we shipped the better-(we shipped computers/tv/bikes/clothes etc but no furniture- and really we could have bought a telly for cheaper here and the bikes too! If I did it again I would probably do the same again or ship even less- I personally dont think things are expensive here- depends where you shop I suppose, but lots of cheaper shops and Ikea, Le Corneau, The good Guys etc for house stuff.

Goodluck x

When you first get here if you have to buy appliances and a few bits of furniture it makes the first few weeks ( when waiting for container) easier, we had to buy beds, fridge and tv and it worked well in our rental, no blow up mattress, and used outdoor furniture for meals, as other posters have said use k mart, big w, target etc things are reasonable.

Guest vikkiann

Most people say to bring white goods. Would you not agree?

Thanks

Vikki

Yep kmart, target, big w etc all have cheap kitchen stuff and duvets, pillows, towels and cheap clothes... in fact everything! It is cheap so the quality isnt amazing but for us we felt it wasnt worth shipping kitchen stuff, appliances etc we did bring bedding- duvets covers, sheets etc but just went in and bought kitchen pack, pans, pillows, duvet, toaster, kettle, iron etc- no hassle and cheap! I would say dont bother with shampoo etc unless you have a particular favourite- places like kmart, big w, reject shop all do the usual brands and are cheap. Also remember you will need all the house stuff as soon as you are in your own rental so if you are still awaiting container to arrive you will end up with 2 lots of everything!

Honestly we found the less we shipped the better-(we shipped computers/tv/bikes/clothes etc but no furniture- and really we could have bought a telly for cheaper here and the bikes too! If I did it again I would probably do the same again or ship even less- I personally dont think things are expensive here- depends where you shop I suppose, but lots of cheaper shops and Ikea, Le Corneau, The good Guys etc for house stuff.

Goodluck x