Shipping Theft Caution

Guest skoobzz03

Guest skoobzz03

A friend of mine moved back to the UK from Oz in December. She sent over some of her belongings via sea freight but when it arrived, someone had stolen everything and re-filled the boxes with heavy packing so no-one would notice!! She was absolutely devastated, as I would have been, and both of us are absolutely amazed that this could have even happened!! :(

So thought I'd therefore offer a quick word of caution to you all... it might be worth spending the extra bucks on air freighting some of your most important things over, just to make sure you're not the one it happens to if someone does it again. It's all very well being insured, but some things just can't be replaced! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest skoobzz03

Your property is only being shipped for a few days, rather than 6-12 weeks so less chance of coming into contact with the type of person who would steal it. Plus, less opportunity to steal things as shipping is in the hold of a plane, rather than in a box on a ship during transit. Also, the airlines are more accountable due to lots of bad press re. dodgy baggage handlers so security is a bit stricter - would you know the name of the ship carrying your shipping? But you'd know the name of the airline right?!!

Of course it can happen anywhere... it's about reducing the likelihood if you can! But hey, feel free to use sea freight for your valuables, lol! :D

When we shipped our worldly goods over in 1991 not only did we have the ships name supplied to us, we also had sailing dates, ports of call, AND the container ID numbers. Obviously no internet back then but we could find out when it was due into Port Adelaide in the newspaper!

A friend of mine moved back to the UK from Oz in December. She sent over some of her belongings via sea freight but when it arrived, someone had stolen everything and re-filled the boxes with heavy packing so no-one would notice!!

How sad. It must have been absolutely horrible. There are some mongrels out there and you just have to hope that karma acts swiftly.

Hope your friend is ok now.

LC