shared container... how long did yours take?

Guest Paula H

Guest vikkiann

I was quoted up to 14 weeks for a shared container so we went for sole use.

Our stuff was packed up on 10th and 11th May but didn't sail until 4th June!!

Check out when it is likely to sail if you are going for the shared option.

I have been quoted 8-14 weeks! wtf!

Just not sure when to send stuff out :(

That sounds more on par with a sole use container tbh. Most sole use seems to be around the 12 week mark.

Shared could sit and wait till its filled and be longer than that.

Have you looked at a move cube? We are considering the largest one.

Guest StevenH

My shared container was packed at my house on 10 March this year, and will be arriving in Adelaide on 25 Jun, so 3 and a half months... then it has to be "deconsolidated" and inspected by customs and AQIS, all of which could take up to an additional 15 working days after it arrives in country, according to the movers (Brittania in UK / Chess in Australia)

So it could be over 4 months all told, the movers also didn't think to tell me about the long delay in leaving the UK (after they quoted me 12 weeks max), so I was here expecting it and eventually I called them (end of May) for an update and they confessed it was going to be another month, before it arrived in port! And nobody mentioned up to three weeks of inspection time before then either!

I found that movers had no idea when a shared container is likely to sail as there are too many variables to consider.

Hey Paula H, who are you using?, all seems to be a bit hit and miss with shippers doesn't it. We used pickfords and had shared container, quoted 10-14 weeks, it took 12.5 door to door. We had 2 weeks borrowing my sisters house as they were on hols, 8 week furnished rental here, then 2.5 weeks with no stuff, not long but long enough. If you've been told 8-14 weeks, I would advise you plan worse case and expect 14 weeks, if it's less happy days.

Guest Paula H

Omg that is such a long time for some of you.... So if they quote a max of 14 weeks, it can still take longer?

We are using Doree Bonner

Omg that is such a long time for some of you.... So if they quote a max of 14 weeks, it can still take longer?

We are using Doree Bonner

It sure can and does.

TBH unless they know they have stuff heading out the same time, you could find your belongings sitting dockside waiting till the container is filled. Which would be weeks if you are unlucky.

Plan for 14 weeks but be prepared if it doesn't sail when you expected it to, it could be longer. Its going 10 weeks before you so it should be ok because you will still be in the UK to chase them up if it doesn't ship when its meant to. Also you can find out now from them about the departure date changing etc and clarify exactly with them. I'd get on the phone pronto and start asking those questions :)