It was all going so well! Annoying Shippers!

Josie

Hey there!

After what felt like weeks of cleaning shoes and bike tyres with toothbrushes and then a stressful but efficient visit from the packers - we thought it was all going so well!

We didn't hear anything form the shipping company for a week so we finally contacted them only to find out that there arent any ships going to Adelaide for FIVE weeks and therefore our stuff would not be going for ages! I am gutted. I had planned it all so carefully so it would arrive a month after us when we had a long term let but it seems it is not to be. We will have to survive without any of our things with 2 young children. How rubbish is that?!!!

We, of course, checked out shipping times with the company and were told there were regular consignments going to Adelaide so it did not matter when they took our belongings.

They speak to us like they arent really bothered and of course it's too late to change companies as they have all our stuff! Grr.

On a positive note - we fly in 6 weeks and CAN'T wait to start our new lives in South Australia - albeit without any of our stuff!!!

Guest vikkiann

The company we used held our stuff in their depot for 3 weeks and we actually got here before our container had even left the uk. It took just over 7 weeks at sea and we are getting it delivered next week.

Like yourselves, they were nice as pie to us until they had our goods.

when I got our unfurnished rental I put a post on here so bought essential items and bought sofabeds from gumtree for $50 each which will double up when people come to stay, also bought an American fridge freezer on gumtree. Look out for garage sales, you can pick up bargains.

I was fuming with the shipping company but we managed fine.

Hi Josie

6 weeks to go wow, that's great. After all the forms, questions, research, bookings, cleaning, decluttering etc you are nearly there. I think a few weeks without your bits will fly especially if you go "camping" :biglaugh:as Diane has said.

Take a deep breath and enjoy the adventure. You will all come out the other side the wiser and stronger.:biggrin:

IrishStew (PS its easy for me I am at the decluttering bit- We have been told 8-14 weeks for ours).

That is shocking. We actually accepted a (quite high) quote without haggling on the condition that our stuff would be on a particular ship. It was loaded in to the container on the Friday and the ship left on the Monday. I can't believe they didn't tell you when the ship would be going when you arranged them to collect your stuff.

Where abouts in Adelaide are you going to be? We might have a few things going spare if you need them while you wait for your container, although we're miles away from where most Brits go to live.

Oh I know Irishstew! What a journey I have been on with the support of PIA - my friendly guidebook. I honestly don't know what I would have done without this forum. People have been so kind and reassuring and it hasn't mattered whether my questions were stupid or not - someone has always answered them! It really has been a huge comfort to have what feels like hundreds of people helping you along the way!!! I'd buy you all a drink if it wouldn't leave me broke!!!!

NicF - thank you for your kindness but we really haven't got a clue where we are going to be ending up in October. We are in a short term let from 12th September but after that we are disorganised enough to not really have a clue where we will end up!!!! (expect a 'where shall we live?' thread arriving on here shortly!!!! - closely followed by a 'can we borrow a ------?' thread) We are thinking brighton/ hove and err Plympton???? We just thought we would get a feel for each suburb!!!

Rubbish money grabbing unreliable shippers - oh well, at least WE are on our way soon!

Guest Paula H

Hi ya

Which shipping co are u using? They don't beging with a D do they? As we packed our stuff up and they took it on the 11th July and I emailed them today only to be told its still sitting in their warehouse but it is the first to be shipped apparently.

We fly out to Adelaide on the 20th sept :)

Guest bosco

Hi they must all be the same , we where told our stuff would be in Adelaide 8 weeks from packing.We paid the fee and headed to Adelaide and guess what,12 weeks later we got our stuff.Is that efficient or what? lol All the same the time will fly by and it will be the warmer weather which will help loads as you can get out and about where you will not miss your stuff.

Hi we are in a similar situation - our stuff was taken on the 5th july and I only received an email telling me it had left on the 2nd Aug with an eta of 27th sept -we arrived july 30th and our short term let runs out 27th Aug ! I've started buying second hand cups glasses etc to tide us over until it gets here from places like salvos and savers, but dunno what we are going to be sitting on ! Never mind - I look on it as a challenge!

Lisa

Guest sasha willis

same sort of thing happened to us , this might help or worth a shot , we went mad at them and they put it on a ship to perth which was leaving alot sooner than 5 weeks and and then delivered it to us ,we argued like mad and it only cost us another 90 dollars extras , just ask if there are any boats going to perth or melbourne earlier

Hi ya

Which shipping co are u using? They don't beging with a D do they? As we packed our stuff up and they took it on the 11th July and I emailed them today only to be told its still sitting in their warehouse but it is the first to be shipped apparently.

We fly out to Adelaide on the 20th sept :)

No not one beginning with D! I hope you're stuff goes safely soon! It sounds like others are having probs too. It's so hard to trust any of them isn't it?! I hope you have a safe journey where in SA are you moving to? We'll be out a couple of weeks later! X

Guest Adelaide_bound

I think its a bit like hair - you want what you don't have. If it makes people feel better, we needed our shipping to take as long as humanly possible, due to travelling around the country for a time as bums and our stuff having to go into storage (and be paid for!) after it arrived whilst we did this.

We were told, no worries, we can do x y and z to delay it. Guess what? It was in Oz in about 6 weeks from when it went. Grrrrrr. I would KILL for it to have taken 6 months, just like I'm sure those of you whom it took an age would Kill for 6 weeks door to door - the law of S*d....

It's amazing how little stuff you actually need, although I know kiddies make it a bit different but they are v adaptable, but you will be having such an amazing time just being here, and enjoying it all that you will forget about what half of the stuff you packed is even. Stuff is just stuff at the end of the day, you have each other, and you have wonderful, lovely, super, Oz :D

Guest Smurphy

Hi, It is worth tracking your container online as ours left the UK on a ship that was travelling to Adelaide however it took an unexpected 2 week holiday in Singapore before transferring to an alternative ship. Your removal company should be able to supply you the shipping companies website, the ship details, and the container reference (you need to track the container and not only the ship). Appreciate it does not feel like it right now but you soon forget the hassle when your container arrives, it's like Christmas has come early!