Rules for riding a moped in Oz, and tips for car buying,,,

Guest Fulvio

Guest Fulvio

Hi all,

My wife and I are planning for the move in January, and however we look at it we think we're going to need two forms of transport :-(. We started off being boring and thinking two cars, but are wondering if a combo like a camper van and a moped might be more versatile (and in the case of the moped, cheaper) as we'll need something just for me to get to work with, and something else for the wife and kids as a runaround and for weekend breaks away for all of us.

The question is, what are the rules on riding a moped out there? In the UK I think you can ride something up to 70cc without a motorcycle licence (just on a regular car driving licence) - I don't suppose there's a similar rule...?

Also - as one who knows almost exactly nothing about the insides of cars - does anyone have any tips for spotting a turkey and avoiding it?

Best wishes,

F :-)

There is no way I would ride a moped in Adelaide traffice, (and I used to ride one in UK, when I was younger.) Motorists here would see you as fair game, unless you just plan to ride a few blocks on side road.

Before you buy a car you can get an RAA inspection, which picks up any problems. Worth the cost for peace of mind.

There is no way I would ride a moped in Adelaide traffice, (and I used to ride one in UK, when I was younger.) Motorists here would see you as fair game, unless you just plan to ride a few blocks on side road.

Before you buy a car you can get an RAA inspection, which picks up any problems. Worth the cost for peace of mind.

I would not recommend the RAA for vehicle checks, we are currently in litigation over a vehicle inspection report done by the aforementioned company. You can spend a third of their cost with a reputable mechanic for the same inspection and get better service.

if you want to live, don't use a moped/scooter. been there done that, i survived only just.

stevo

And here I am thinking of buying a scooter. Damn! Stevo I'll make sure to get some pointers from you on scooter survival:wink:

Cheers:smile:

Ali

Guest andylynnchriskirst

I've personally found driving a lot easier and less stressful than the UK. The roads are bigger, the speed limits are slower, but I have to say, the driving here is appalling. I've already seen one accident which happened with the two cars in front of me on a roundabout, luckily they got out of my way!

(I never bought a car from a dealer in the UK so apologise for this bit)

Here the cars;

Have Rego: which comes in either 3 months or 12 months. (This is compulsory and for a small-ish car is $250 for 3 months or $730 for 12 months. Make sure you check if the car comes with rego, but you can also check online. You then need to re-register this or the dealer will.

You have to pay for the transfer fee and stamp duty, (again, there is a calculator online). But check to see if this is included in the price of the car.

I (think) third party insurance comes through rego, but I went and got comprehensive through my bank anyway, which comes with free breakdown cover for a year. It's worth it after you see some of the driving here!

You don't have MOTs, and you don't have road tax.

You can only drive on your licence for 3 months, then you have to apply for an South Australian Licence.

These also cost, I only did mine for a year and it was about $40.

Petrol is on the rise, but is still a lot cheaper than the UK!

I wouldn't have a clue about mo-peds, but havent actually seen many here!

Hope this helps!

Chris

Guest Guest5035
And here I am thinking of buying a scooter. Damn! Stevo I'll make sure to get some pointers from you on scooter survival:wink:

Cheers:smile:

Ali

if you buy one, see if they will throw in a extra pair of eyes as you will need them, believe me......:shocked:

stevo

If you want to ride around on 2 wheels make sure you got at least 500cc between your legs, you need at least that to get away from the lunatic drivers who seem to think they have to be in front of everybody else on the road.

if you buy one, see if they will throw in a extra pair of eyes as you will need them, believe me......:shocked:

stevo

Advice taken Stevo. Will be on the look out at every bend in the road, every square and roundabout and every street. :wink: As long as no spiders jump on me while riding the thing I'll be 100% focused on every car coming my way or the other way round.:wideeyed:

Guest Sannie!

Hey, i was having this little honda today 50cc for almost a year.. It def will save you a whole lot when u regularly intend to use it... But i tell you what?!? Riding in the cold is never fun and when u get on to the high ways In 60 kph zone, cars and trucks coming behind you will spank their horns at you, that you will discrimated on those speedy roads.. Also personally i felt it was bit dangerous driving two wheelers here in australia particularily slower ones...

Guest Fulvio

Hi all,

Really interesting replies guys, thanks a lot. Ok, so second thoughts about the moped! I'm not an experienced rider and I doesn't seem like the place to start.

There are some mixed views on independent sales vs dealership, and RAA check or someone else if an independent sale. If not RAA who would you use to check over a car before buying it? And what dealerships can you tecimmend

Guest Guest5035

Having a car checked before you buy it is only as good as the mechanic thats doing it, whether its the RAA or lynsteve, depending on how much you've got, buy from a dealer and get a warranty, you'll get a small warranty for 3 months when buying over $3k by law. Check out carsales.com.au for cars and if you want any info i might be able to help.

stevo