Is it really worth bringing your car ?

Guest richdownunder

Guest richdownunder

Hi,

I keeping going through in my mind whether it's worth bringing our car with us when we make the move. We have a lovely Porsche Boxster which is nearly 5 years old but we only use it in the UK as our fun car so it's done less than 20,000 miles. We really want to bring it as it will probably be used more in the sunshine of SA rather than the clouds of the UK, but just can't make my mind up whether it's worth the cost of transporting it, paying import duties etc.

I would welcome any comments from PIA members who have imported a car on whether it was worth all the hassle and cost of importing.

Thanks, Rich

Guest BrianS

If it all works out at less than $30k inc car value I would say bring it, have a look at carsales.com.au for comparisons as to what one here would cost to buy.

Hi, we have just gone through the same situation only with two motorbikes. Both my husband and I have our own sportsbikes and my husband has a one off paint job just completed on his, however the more we looked into the cost of shipping, permits, taxes etc etc the list is endless we decided that it wasn't worth it.

The cost of buying the same bike in oz was 3 times the cost of what it is worth in uk. However when you start to work out the value for the permits etc they take the price of its value in oz so the costs are much higher than originally anticipated.

With everything else to sort out, we decided it was too much time and hassle to try and get them shipped.

Good luck

Natasha

• 2 months later...
Guest wolvesaussie

There was a guy with a stand at our latest Move to Australia exhibition we went to, whos business it was to help you buy in UK and import BMW's, Audis etc to Australia and sell them at the other end for a profit to help fund your move.. he was saying if u pick up a two - 3 year old one here in UK you can making a profit even after tax etc

There was a guy with a stand at our latest Move to Australia exhibition we went to, whos business it was to help you buy in UK and import BMW's, Audis etc to Australia and sell them at the other end for a profit to help fund your move.. he was saying if u pick up a two - 3 year old one here in UK you can making a profit even after tax etc

You have to have had owend the car for at least a year before you can import it they might have someway round it but you know what they say if its to good to be true

I would suggest a "no" as do you really want to be driving an open top car when the sun is beating down and the temperature can get over the 40° mark? You'd be better off in a car with a decent air con system I reckon.

Course you do! We have an Austin Healey Sprite which we take out on summer afternoons and evenings for trips to a winery or two, or Lobethal Brewery, or cherry picking in the summer. It's great and of course you get a lovely breeze as you drive along - much better than a motorbike in the summer because you have to wear all the protective stuff on a bike so you end up really warm whenever you stop, whereas in a softtop car all you need to remember is plenty of sunscreen and a hat (or lots of hair which is the option I go for!)