Childs car seats - can i bring thems from the uk ?

Guest deardos

Guest deardos

Hi all,

I have twin children and we resently purchased 2 Maxi Cosi Pebble Car seats with ISO fix base units. As you can imagine they cost a fortune. Can I bring them to Oz and do you know if they fit Ozzy standards.

Thanks

Deardos

UK car seats are not legal in Aus. Top tether install is mandatory for all car seats in Aus. Even when Isofix finally comes into use in Aus the top tether will still be a legal requirement to fit the car seat as well as the Isofix or seatbelt install.

As to if you choose to bring them and use them (illegally) is up to you.

Guest hectorvector

Hi,

We arrived this week with Singapore Airline's who allowed us to bring a car seat for our under-2 year old free of charge.

The seat itself doesn't have a top-tether so we'll have to look at getting this sorted as some point, although it worked perfectly fine for us in the UK and we don't envisage any problems (unless we get stopped by an observant copper in which case we'll plead ignorance!!)

don't know if this helps!

As already mentioned, UK seats are not legal over here however I used mine - but I never crashed, got stopped, inspected etc.

Here's the culture clash - We are all used to thinking the UK BSI safety codes are the worlds best but they are (very generally speaking) way off being the benchmark. Somethings here at first just appear to be a hinderance, such as car seats, but they are made to higher safety standards (even if the car seats look and feel really cheap and nasty!). Another example is motorcycle helmets - my UK helmet was used in dirtbike races all over Europe and Africa without any problems and yet its not legal here as despite being one of the best helmets made, it doesn't have the extra side reinforcements that the Aus only helmets have to have for their safety standards.

Thanks all,

I think I will take them, use them and if we get stopped I will plead ingnorance. Do most cars have the ISO Fix fixings ??

Generally not Aus cars. Some might but most won't. Isofix isn't legal in Aus yet and again, when it is finally in use the top tether requirement with it will be mandatory. Imported cars can often have the Isofix points but as its not yet a legal requirement you'll find some don't.

If you get stopped and they notice and do decide to fine you (pleading ignorance may not go over well) you could well be facing a few hundred dollars in fines and points on your licence. And they may then expect to see you again and check you are using Aus legal car seats.

In Aus its common practice for the police to stop and check cars over for defects etc so my Aus husband tells me (he was stopped a couple of times at least). They don't have an MOT like in the UK and being stopped and checked is a way to find problem cars and ensure they get fixed.

Edited by snifter