Estimating value of shipped items

TomJonesDad

Anyone got any suggestions on an easy way to estimate?

I wouldn't have a clue how much some of our stuff is worth and I don't relish spending hours on the internet looking for similar to price them. We don't have anything that would bump up the value so a ball park figure for a 3 bed house would be a help. We are taking most of our contents including fridge/freezer, washing machine etc. etc.

What did others do for their insurance and value to give to the shipping company?

• 2 months later...
Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi,

I was same wondering how I was going to work out how much it was worth "at destination" I mean..how on earth are you meant to work that one out! In the end I just went round & just guessed at rough cost of our things. We aren't taking most of our white goods as integral but for 3 bedroomed house ours worked out at 22k. Perhaps with white goods maybe 25k?

Good luck!

We came up with a figure of about £25K but for shipping insurance purposes (remembering you'd have to replace it all in Oz) we actually added £10K to that. We had a look at a number of big items on some Aus web sites and the additional cost was about right in terms of the difference in costs between UK and Oz.

Guest vikkiann

Just don't under value for insurance purposes!

We had to itemise and stupidly under valued on certain items then when furniture got damaged, argue with the insurance company.

5 months later and the battle is still going on.

Guest Chris_J

What's the excess? Is it worth saying something is 300 if the excess is 250 for example. I have probably under insured but some stuff isn't worth much more than the excess and then there is the ball ache of claiming. I think I insured for about 22 to 23k. I bet I would only get a cost for 2nd hand replace cost or to take account of wear and tear etc etc.