Adelaide metro system

Guest bubbe2005

Guest bubbe2005

Is it complicated to use?

The first time you used the travel pass or ticket did you go with someone who knew well how to use the metro system?

I am a Londoner so I am familiar with the London Underground :)

Guest Kadphises

I thought it was pretty easy. Just get a ticket on the train or at the station. Different tarifs based on rush- or non-rush-hour, same as in London.

No oyster system though, all paper tickets.

I have no experience of long term use though.

Guest bubbe2005
I thought it was pretty easy. Just get a ticket on the train or at the station. Different tarifs based on rush- or non-rush-hour, same as in London.

No oyster system though, all paper tickets.

I have no experience of long term use though.

i think they are coming out with a similar 'oyster card' system - metro card

http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/ticketing/metrocard

I think it can be confusing. I live close to the city so when I take the bus I use a 2 section multi-trip ticket which is good for 10 trips (bus/tram/train) within 2 sections of the city (and not transferable). These cost $17.30 (about $1.73 per trip). If you live further away then you need to get the Zone tickets which cost $31.90 and these are transferable - so if you need to get a connecting bus to get from A to B then this is the best ticket to buy - this has a two hour window of use. So if you wanted to go to Glenelg for example and have a coffee and quick, quick walk you could theoretically use one ticket to get there and back. Also if you travel in "Interpeak times" this is when you don't travel when everyone else is going to and from work (usually 9.01 am and before 3.00pm) then the tickets are cheaper still. There are some intricacies around these e.g. Public Holidays etc. There are also Day Trip tickets which are good value if you are travelling with children on the weekend. Your children travel free when you buy a ticket but only on weekends. It's explained better here http://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/ticketing/fares

Do you know if I'm right in saying that I can't take my dog on public transport??

I'm so used to doing that here in London it will be a bit of a shock for me as I don't drive :-(

This is what it says in the general Q&A section

"22. Can I take my pet on the bus, train or tram?

All accredited assistance animals accompanying a person with a disability (eg: Guide Dogs, hearing dogs and other accredited assistance animals) are welcome to travel on all public transport including Adelaide Metro buses, trains and trams as well as taxis. Other animals may be carried at the discretion of an authorised officer who could be a bus driver, Adelaide Metro staff member or taxi driver. If the animal is not an accredited assistance animal it is recommended that you contact the service provider to discuss their policy and regulations on the carriage of animals. Small animals contained in secure carry cages can be carried on public transport if they do not present a risk to other passengers. If the animal is not dangerous, offensive or large; if it is in a suitable container with a waterproof bottom and will be kept by the passenger on their lap, then consideration will be made in allowing travel by the authorised officer. Agreement to travel would depend on the circumstances of each individual case.

Adelaide Metro service providers include Torrens Transit (8350 4433), SouthLink (8186 2888), Transitplus (8339 7544), TransAdelaide Trains (8218 2200) and TransAdelaide Trams (8294 6587). If you are unsure who is the service provider you can call the Adelaide Metro InfoLine on 1300 311 108.

If you are intending to travel in a taxi with your pet, carriage is at the discretion of the driver. You should try to book the vehicle beforehand and inform the operator that you are travelling with an animal. If your pet soils the taxi then a fee of $66 will apply in addition to the fare"

If you used London Underground then here you will be fine. Is very simple. There are only a few train lines and a couple of carriages. On the weekend some lines get one carriage only :huh:

Agree that when it comes to tickets is a bit messy. Oyster type of card available in some lines.

Guest bubbe2005
If you used London Underground then here you will be fine. Is very simple. There are only a few train lines and a couple of carriages. On the weekend some lines get one carriage only :huh:

Agree that when it comes to tickets is a bit messy. Oyster type of card available in some lines.

That's just like saying, if you know how to drive in UK then you can drive anywhere in the world! lol not necessarily true, have you tried driving stick shift in the U.S? lol

This made me smile I must admit - after many, many years of commuting in and around London and understanding the system totally, I have no idea how an Oyster Card works at all - they brought them in after we left! So now I feel like a foreigner to London as well as a foreigner to here :biggrin: .....

Guest bubbe2005
$5 I think. Mine was free as I was part of the trial which started 6-7 months ago.

ah ha! yes I read about the trial. but is the metro card officially in place? not sure if it mentions on the metro website if it can be purchased online.