How much 'stuff' can you actually fit into a 20ft container?

donlou

To all of those that have landed - Would you mind sharing a list (you can PM me if you prefer) of exactly what you were able to fit into the container. All the shipping companies say an average 3 bed house? what exactly is the average? I am just wondering as my daughter needs new bedroom furniture (bed, bookcase, chest of drawers etc) and I have found some good solid furniture here and was wondering if it was better to buy in the UK rather than Oz. I don't want to buy here and then find out I have gone over the 20ft container allowance when I could just as easily buy in Oz. I am not getting quotes for shipping for a while yet as we are not moving for sometime, but a rough idea of the amount of furniture etc that can be shipped would give me an idea of what to do.Many thanks in advance for any help.

You can loads in a 20ft container. Much more than you would think. We got in pretty much everything from a 5 bedroom semi, although one bedroom had no furniture and the other was a study rather than a bedroom. We didn't bring any outdoor furniture though as it was either falling apart or I couldn't face cleaning it. I'll see if I can find the list we made for our insurance later and send it over to you.

Hi

We packed up a 4 bed house, with a Dining Room, Kitchen and Breakfast room, lounge, garage and shed and it all went in, it was a squeeze, but they did close the door, it arrives on the 3 October...Yay...Good luck and make sure you get a few quotes:)

Would you mind if I ask how much are we looking at paying for a 20ft container? I know companies quote different but kind of how much? Thanks

Generally they seem to come in between £3,500 - 4,500, depending on the company. Average is around £4,000 for sole use 20ft container. Cheapest isn't always best and most people get a few companies in for quotes, see who they like, perhaps haggle a bit.

It will depend on the packers too. Some are better than others at getting things in. It also helps if you can "flat pack" things, ie take them apart to save space. Do ask if they will do this (and put them back together at the other end) as some charge extra for this. Ours were really good I bet they are good at Tetris too.

TBH you would be better doing this yourself though so you can be sure all the nuts and bolts are stored and things are re-assembled correctly. Even with instructions they re-assembled stuff badly for us - but then men never read instructions!!

I had to do it all again myself when they had gone!

Also start de-cluttering now.

Guest dean berridge

Hi we just had a 20ft had a 4 bed decluttered but had to leave my bike, a large tv and surround, an exercise bike, a new coffee table (wife gutted!) and my dartboard and case (I'm gutted) we took no wardrobes. I feel sorry for the customs when they unload it whoever opens the door will get a kingsize mattress in the mush lol. So going off all the comments its hard to say if your stuff will fit in or not my advise is to priortise:smile: . If you are buying furniture in the near future are you aware that you must declare them if under 12months old and could be charged:(

Anyway good luck in and i hope this helped.