Do we both need a car?

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

Hi,

Just wondering if its possible to manage with 1 car? Me and hubby working(hopefully) and 2 girls going to school. How good is public transport outside the city? For work and school journeys.

Is cycling safer there on the roads?

Thanks,

Laura x

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Not saying you can't manage with 1 car but if I was you I would budget for 2 cars, some suburbs have better public transport links than others and this could well be the deciding factor on your car situation,

Good luck,

Guzzler

I too would advise 2 cars as your children will probably become involved in stuff. Public transport pretty much all leads into the city, so if you have to go a few suburbs over then a 15 min car trip can turn into 1-2 hrs with waiting times. Also the joy of having to get someone to a sporting match that starts at 8am becomes more complicated if public transport has to be relied on. I guess if only one of you is going to work and can access public transport then 1 car is an option, providing the stay at home with escape routes, it can be very isolating in some of the outer suburbs. As for schools it may be that the school you choose is easily accessed by one train, bus etc, but it could also mean a very early start for them if not on a directish route. If you only want 1 car then choose where you live in relation to transportation options.

Rachel

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Cycling might be safer on the roads if the Aussies knew how to drive on them!!!!!!

It depends on where you are as to how you find buses. Forexample, have a look on a map for Reynella East and Hallett Cove. About a 7 min drive ish. However I don't drive and there is no connecting bus so in order to get to say Donna Ts house, I would have to allow for 2 buses and up to 40 mins to get there, longer if I walk to the bus stop 15 mins walk away but which has buses to the mid point more prequently.

Buses are punctual and connections are good but don't go everywhere you need them to.

I don't drive but am about to learn - any volunteers prepared to risk life and limb by coming out in a car with me?

Libby

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi

I don't drive but am about to learn - any volunteers prepared to risk life and limb by coming out in a car with me?

Libby

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guzzler

Guest Libby1971

Guzzler, I am shocked! I am not THAT bad behind a wheel. I almost managed to get a car on display in the shopping centre out of park today. Brute force!!! LOL

Poor Bob, you do have to feel sorry for him! He plans to take me driving at least 3 times a week.

Libby xx

• 3 weeks later...

I don't plan on having a car, at least anytime soon. If you work in the city it's easy enough to get to work on public transport, and it's cheaper. Being from the US I still can't get my head around the petrol prices, so for now, I'm saving that money. It all depends on where you live, how much walking/cycling you are willing to do, etc. We are close to a lot of ammenities where we live, so I'll be doing a lot of walking, as I don't have a husband who will be willing to drive me around much. My only issue will be going to see friends who are also in the burbs and getting to the yoga class I want to go to in Kilburn.

I use public transport to commute to work so we currently only have one car which my wife uses for ferrying the kids, shopping etc.

My journey takes me 1 1/2 hours and is not always reliable. In a car it would take 35mins.

Commuting to work is ok at a push but getting around with the kids, you gotta be kidding!

I'm seriously considering a car even though public transport costs me $26.90 a week.

Guest soggy
I use public transport to commute to work so we currently only have one car which my wife uses for ferrying the kids, shopping etc.

My journey takes me 1 1/2 hours and is not always reliable. In a car it would take 35mins.

Commuting to work is ok at a push but getting around with the kids, you gotta be kidding!

I'm seriously considering a car even though public transport costs me $26.90 a week.

I just lost my car for a week while being repaired, it took 55 mins to get from Novar gardens to North Adelaide by bus, 25 max by car, picked my car up this morning, taking the car today!

Simon;)