motorbikes?????

Guest Sharon and Paul

Guest Sharon and Paul

Hi all, there is plenty of questions about cars ? can anyone tell me what it is like for motorcyclist I am not on about hells angels , just that you have great weather and I am thinking of reliving my youth how ever I don't fancy a roo jumping out in front of me . so if there are any bikers out there I would like to here your opinion, many thanks a lost soul, or a sad muppet.:jimlad:

hi ya im a biker well i was in my youth days, i was in a motorcycle display team for 9 years im a bit of a looney on a bike, well i hope to get a bike in oz either a harley heritage soft-tail or a quad or a supermoto? but then only prob i have is a dont have a bike license which i might have to do in adeliade total bummer....

alex

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya.

Here's some info that i have found out.

Your UK bike licence is transferable to an ozzie licence.

There a duke and guzzi dealer on gouger street just between the postoffice and chinatown.

Didnt see very many Harleys but a lot of retro and sports bikes when we over on a reccie last june.

There are some realy amazing bike roads up in the hills and down to Victor harbour.

Im planning to get a bike when i get there coz i thing it might be a bit easier getting round.

Regards

matt

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stickman

As sad as it sounds... I was trying to select our prefered location in Aus based on the location of motorsport tracks... just couldn't live without my trackdays.

However, Adelaide just seems right for lots of other reasons so I'll have to make do with one race track (Mallala) if we get there.

I understand that there are some fantastic roads in the area to enjoy!

• 9 months later...

Was looking for a thread about this. I currently ride a GSXR1000. Have ridden bikes for years back in Scotland, and this is my 3rd bike here. I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum is into riding road bikes. It ould be good to meet some new people with similar interests. I am also a member of a bike forum here in Adelaide, and we organise loads of rides and meets, but they are all Aussie, and though it is great way to meet locals, it would be good to have some people from Uk with similar experiences.

Shaun

Guest stickman
Was looking for a thread about this. I currently ride a GSXR1000. Have ridden bikes for years back in Scotland, and this is my 3rd bike here. I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum is into riding road bikes. It ould be good to meet some new people with similar interests. I am also a member of a bike forum here in Adelaide, and we organise loads of rides and meets, but they are all Aussie, and though it is great way to meet locals, it would be good to have some people from Uk with similar experiences.

Shaun

Hey Shaun,

Unfortunately I'm still on the wrong side of the world so can't join the rideouts just yet, but one of these days! I'm not seeing much time in the saddle at the moment with snow and ice covering the place - had enough of it now :( Couldn't get much more different to the weather that you're having over there at the mo

Swapped my 750k6 in for an RC8 last year and I think I'm now a twin convert - best bike I've had to date and that's saying something - the 750k6 was a fantastic ride. Fortunately the price of the bike is a little more sensible than it is over there - though that may have changed now that the pound is worth s*d all, lol

Having spent a bit of time driving around the Hills area you've got some amazing roads on your doorstep :D Saw a few bikes while we were there - all being ridden bang on the speed limit... such restraint!!!

Would love to hear more about riding in the area if you get a chance to write anything.

Cheers,

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Snape Family

Being from the Isle of Man it's kind of compulsory to be into the bikes.

We currently have a Triumph Sprint and we have already looked at other bikes when we did a recce last October.

When we come over in June (hopefully after our last TT) we will definitely be getting another bike as a 2nd form of transport so we'll put a message out then to see if anyone fancies a run out. Especially as it willmake a change from going round in circles on an Island!!

Tracey

RC8!!!! Oh wow, what a gorgeous bike!!!! I test rode one down here, and they were throwing in a fuill akrapovic system if you bought it. Just couldn't justify the price at the minute, with building a house etc. But any of you guys coming over or already here, gimme a shout if you want a hand finding bike dealerships, and i also get 10-15% discount at some bike dealerships in town. Harley (YUK!!! lol, kidding mate) dealership is on Franklin St. We often organise trackdays at Malala, there is a group here called cafe racers, and they put on their website when trackdays are, but i have a full list if anyone wants it.

And finally, the roads here are great, however they tend to get covered with crap very easily, and lots of them in the hills at the moment are in poor state of repair, with another favourite being trucks coming round corners across the white lines, so if anyone new here going out by themselves, please be careful. And yeah I ALWAYS stick to the speed limit in the hills on my 1000cc sportsbike!!!!lol:goofy::err::P:wideeyed:

hey im a biker now but kind of getting bored as ive no one to go riding with so ive taken up skydiving, ive been up in the hills for a quick run and loved it.

i own a yamaha supermotard xt660x being a track bike its perfect for country lanes the roads up at mount lofty are cool,ive heard the road to loberthol (think thats how you spell it) is a good run but the police sit there waiting for bikers, mind you with my exhaust you can hear it miles away (sorry kilometers as everything is now metric down under and backwards lol) so if anyone wants to go out for a run sunny afternoon and im not jumping we can make it a date as they say...im in mawson lakes area if anyone is near there...also im selling it as well on www.bikesales.com.au for $8000 ONO

alex

Hey guys, if anyone is looking for a ride, try joining the website i'm a member of. There are rides all the time, and there is going to be a good run up gorgeo road, corkscrew road etc, with stops for fuel/food. www.ridingsa.com

My nickname on there is HAGG15 (same as my rego plate), just join (free), introdue yourself, and turn up for the rides.

They also have coffee nights where you get to meet loads of people, ones in south, east and north.

Hope to see some of you there?

Shaun

Guest stickman

Shaun, nice picture you paint mate... sounds fantastic. Unfortunately I think my wife's got cold feet about the idea of moving again. Stop, start, stop, start... doing my head in :wacko: I just want to get over there and get on with living life to the full. Mind you, the current economic mess the UK is also doing its best to hamper attempts. Beginning to wonder if it's just not meant to be.

Been chatting online to a couple of RC8 owners over there and heard about the thrown-in Akra... nice! Mind you for the price of the bike over there they should be throwing in a trackday a month, full pit crew, tyres and fuel for a year, lol. Had to pay for my Akra but did manage to get a decent discount, and you know how it goes... there's always something else that you 'need' for it, lol

Lol,

Mate, every person you speak to on this forum will readily admit to getting cold feet, and to be honest, not only my wife, but myself too. I was cacking it before we got here. It took my father to convince me to do it. And only after he told me he had a chance to do it when he was my age, and regreted it for the rest of his life (not doing it). And then he said, whats the worst? You give it a couple years, then come home, at least you gave it the best shot possible. But it is still the hardest decision of your life mate, and only you and the wife can make it.

As for the biking side of it, can't get better than here, almpst 12 months on the bike. Believe it or not, the only time i don't ride is when it gets too HOT!!! And i also go to Phillip Island twice a year to watch MOTO GP and WSBK!!!!

Guest stickman

As for the biking side of it, can't get better than here, almpst 12 months on the bike. Believe it or not, the only time i don't ride is when it gets too HOT!!! And i also go to Phillip Island twice a year to watch MOTO GP and WSBK!!!!

Yeah, yeah, alright, you can shut up now, lol

Hi

Can any of you in SA answer a question about helmets please.

My understanding is that you need a lid with Aussie standards stickers, is this right?

I bought a new Arai last year here in the UK - will this be legal in OZ, or would I be better selling it before I come to Oz? It's hardly been worn (winter in the UK!!) so it would be better to sell it now whilst its immaculate & use my old one fow the next few months if I'm not going to be able to bring it with me.

I'm still waiting on the visa so have a few months in the UK yet :sad:

UK lids, although have to pass a higher standards test, are not legal in Oz. If you get pulled over (as i have a few times for no apparent reason:mad::policeman:lol) they will check your lid to see if it has the Oz standard sticker on it. If it doesn't, they will issue you with a fine and possible demerit points and not let you ride home!!!

So sell it if you can, and get a new lid here. Can help with a 15% discount on lids at some of the places here, or can loan on of my spare lids until you get sorted.

Also take your leathers with you, as bloody expensive here, and not a great choice compared to UK.

Then buy a pair of Draggin jeans and textile jacket for summer riding when you get here. (Draggins are great as they have kevlar sewn into them. Check out online)

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, that's great advice & I appreciate the lid loan offer - very kind of you.

I'll be looking for a bike too, so should be able to get some kind of deal with a lid, jeans etc.

I've looked at Draggin Jeans before so might keep my eyes open here for anything in the sales.

Can't wait to get there - drove around the hills & vinyards & down to Victor Harbour in a hire care when I was there & remembering wishing I was on a bike.

I currently ride a Triumph Daytona 650 but I've no idea what I'll go for in Oz.

Triumph Daytona 650 is another great bike. Peter Stevens (dealership in city) is the triumph dealer here, and they have some great deals on the new Street Triple. Fantastic bike, and mate has just bought one. But i'm biased, as i think nearly anything on 2 wheels with an engine is great!!! Lol. You can get some great 2nd hand bikes here too.

Anyway, enough drooling over bikes, i better get into garage and prep the bike for the trip to Phillip Island (WSBK opening round) and then the ride home along Great Ocean Road!! Woohoo, only 4 days till we leave!!! Will post pics if anyone interested!!!

Hi all, there is plenty of questions about cars ? can anyone tell me what it is like for motorcyclist I am not on about hells angels , just that you have great weather and I am thinking of reliving my youth how ever I don't fancy a roo jumping out in front of me . so if there are any bikers out there I would like to here your opinion, many thanks a lost soul, or a sad muppet.:jimlad:

Hi Paul,

Both hubby and I are keen bikers and since being here we have both bought bikes and joined the Ulysses Bike Club (see their website, they have branches all over). It's a great way to make friends, especially with the locals, they are very friendly and welcoming.

Ride outs with one club branch or another are almost every week end, with lots of rallies if that is your thing. Riding here is different from the UK, car drivers are less aware of you here so be careful. Usually everyone keeps to the speed limits, there are a good variety of roads; hilly, bendy, dead straight for kms and kms.

Hubby has been to work on his bike every day since we got here four months ago, what a change from UK conditions, although when it gets above 36 degrees it can be uncomfortable wrapped up in safety gear.

If you think you are sad, our hand luggage consisted of two helmets and we wore our bike jackets as coats!!!:biglaugh:

Well tank bag checked and fitted. Oil checked (just changed last month). Chain and sprockets checked. Tyres checked (just a wee bit more wear on them after a blast through the hils yesterday arvo). Puncture repair kit and first aid kit checked. Bike washed. Chain Lubed. Chain lube put in bike. Camera and Helmet Cam checked and charged. Think i'm ready to go!!! Woohoo. Just need to pack clothes stuff into a bag to go in mates car, then 10 of us to meet up for the ride down!!!! Can you tell i'm getting excited and ready to go NOW!!! Lol

Guest sabre23

Hi all,

New to the forum so bear with me. I'm about to arrive in Adelaide over the next few weeks on a permanent visa but was wondering about importing my GSX1400. Can anybody give their views on this or even a rough idea of cost on importing. Or even if its not a particularly suitable bike for the region/problem with spares etc etc etc

cheers

S

i dont know the ins and outs on importing but one thing for sure is the bike has to be spotless of dirt or quarintine will clean it for you and then send the bill (which want be cheap) i know of a person that brought his harley over and he is still waiting or it something to do with the lights i think my advise is sell the beast and buy over here there is plenty of bike shops around adelaide....now the important part..riding there is plenty of places to ride to or explore but be carefull of the roads here aussies dont have the best road standards ive nearly been knocked off a few times you will understand when you arrive...besides that have a cool time here you will never want to leave australia

alex