Very basic question on shipping

srg73

What are the internal dimensions of a shipping container? Little concerned that we have quite a lot of contents especially for only 2 people. We are going to have a sort out but may end up buying more than we sell ie bedding, more furniture kitchen bits and a full set of Denby Arabasque.

thanks. S

Containers are 20' or 40' but just look on Google. If a 3rd party is paying for shipping I'd recommend bringing everything except lawnmowers. Even if you're paying I'd still bring it all. All the stuff you think you'll never use again - thick duvets, winter coats etc will all come out again once you've acclimatised and 10 degree days will feel really cold.

A 20ft container generally fits the contents of a 3 bed house. I'd think you'd be fine. Get some decent companies in to give quotes on shipping everything and a sole use container or a shared one and shipping a bit less. And then haggle.

The issue is the 5000 records and music equipment which all need flight casing. Otherwise we have some nice furnishings, some basic idea stuff, super king and double beds, 2 sofas 2 bikes etc. I guess any gardening stuff is left and tempted to leave the idea stuff too as that can easily be replaced.

S

The issue is the 5000 records and music equipment which all need flight casing. Otherwise we have some nice furnishings, some basic idea stuff, super king and double beds, 2 sofas 2 bikes etc. I guess any gardening stuff is left and tempted to leave the idea stuff too as that can easily be replaced.

S

You really should get some quotes then to give you and idea of how much you are looking at. Also you can work out dimensions of boxes for records I'd think and figure out how much room it will take up.

Hello there, we're not thinking about all the logistics of shipping just yet, as our move is nearly a year away. However, one aspect of shipping I haven't seen any mention of, and which i've wondered, is do the companies take apart furniture such as beds and wardrobes, and then ship them flat-packed in the containers? We have large items of furniture e.g. super king bed, triple wardrobes and large 4 seater sofas - they all arrived to assemble when we bought them, so will only get out the house disassembled!! And do the shipping companies assemble them for you the other side - I would make a real mess of that!

Many thanks as always from those experienced people out there who have already made the move,

Petal X

Depends.

Things like bed frames are easily taken apart. We can dismantle ours in 10 minutes and will do so before shippers arrive. I don't expect them to do it and would rather we take it apart anyway. I'd not ship it otherwise. Plus it won't go down the stairs unless its in bits.

Wardrobes often go as they are as people fill them with stuff. Bear in mind that most Aus homes have built in robes and if you take heaps of freestanding ones chances are you won't have much use for them. Some can flat pack easy enough though if you want. I don't plan on taking a single wardrobe with us as can't see we'll have any realise for them in the long term.

You can discuss with shippers when you get them in for quotes and they will explain it all.

We used Pickfords and we could have paid more for them to dismantle our furniture and then have them re-assemble it but it would have cost at a time when money really has no meaning it disappears so quickly....

Snifter - we went on the premise that we wouldn't need wardrobes because houses here have built-in and we've spent a small fortune replacing our left-behind wardrobes. I think we found the only house in Adeladie without built-in wardrobes and no outside eating area :huh:.

We used Pickfords and we could have paid more for them to dismantle our furniture and then have them re-assemble it but it would have cost at a time when money really has no meaning it disappears so quickly....

Snifter - we went on the premise that we wouldn't need wardrobes because houses here have built-in and we've spent a small fortune replacing our left-behind wardrobes. I think we found the only house in Adeladie without built-in wardrobes and no outside eating area :huh:.

O dear re the wardrobes. Just about every house I've been in to in Aus has had built ins. Unless the bedroom has been a 'small' room, then sometimes that room has not had one, but generally all the main bedrooms have. I was amazed at how they had so much built in but still had a big room space left over. Mind you, I don't often like the style of the built in ones and I know when we get over and have our own place I'll be really picky and want to change doors and so on if they don't suit my style. If the house doesn't have them, chances are we'll build them in anyways. I'm over wardrobes tbh. I miss my built in one from our old house here.