Sidecar racing

mummytummy

Guest Crushfamily

Vehicles require special permits and if it is not a road legal un modified vehicle you run into problems. Speaking as someone who has imported both a std road car and a competition car (Which I only got in as I could prove it had been used on the road for some 25 years plus in my ownership) You might be better to import it in parts as it is unlikely/difficult you will get a permit for it

• 1 month later...
Has anyone had experience and can give me (well dh) advice on shipping over a racing sidecar, can it be done or would it be easier for him and his mate to start over and buy a sidecar over there?

Many thanks:goofy:

like every thing here you really need to want it!!

is it a wasp type outfit or a kneeler (motorcross or road), not that it makes any difference just interested,

from my understanding and i have brought over some old scramblers, and i guess its the same,

first you have to get import approval, there are two types, pre 89, and post 89. you will need to read up on the ozzy government web sites, and see which way you'll have to go,

you have to make a statement on what it is, if its a proper outfit like wasp/kneeler any of the manufacturer details photos you have the better, include frame engine numbers etc, avoid modifications/ or home made etc.. because the outfit will be VERY factory original.( not so important in a race bike) but you get my point. on going project is a good term too!

when you get approval clean it and clean it some more,, if its a motorcrosser or a road outfit, the tyres need to be spotless, black boot polish is good if this, then put gaffer tape round the wheels to move it, and remove the tape once in the container. one lot of customs check its clean and not packet with drugs or AK47's. the other lot with tax you on its value but its any on going project/ non runner, engine out anything may help!

when you,ve paid it gets released to you,,, as its a competion outfit off to the track and see what the racing bodys want from you...

there is a motorcross track at Morgan which i now has had outfits (or there was 4 years ago).

and i'm sure their are road tracks and speedway tracks.

would be good to check where you can use it first

hope that helped

like every thing here you really need to want it!!

is it a wasp type outfit or a kneeler (motorcross or road), not that it makes any difference just interested,

from my understanding and i have brought over some old scramblers, and i guess its the same,

first you have to get import approval, there are two types, pre 89, and post 89. you will need to read up on the ozzy government web sites, and see which way you'll have to go,

you have to make a statement on what it is, if its a proper outfit like wasp/kneeler any of the manufacturer details photos you have the better, include frame engine numbers etc, avoid modifications/ or home made etc.. because the outfit will be VERY factory original.( not so important in a race bike) but you get my point. on going project is a good term too!

when you get approval clean it and clean it some more,, if its a motorcrosser or a road outfit, the tyres need to be spotless, black boot polish is good if this, then put gaffer tape round the wheels to move it, and remove the tape once in the container. one lot of customs check its clean and not packet with drugs or AK47's. the other lot with tax you on its value but its any on going project/ non runner, engine out anything may help!

when you,ve paid it gets released to you,,, as its a competion outfit off to the track and see what the racing bodys want from you...

there is a motorcross track at Morgan which i now has had outfits (or there was 4 years ago).

and i'm sure their are road tracks and speedway tracks.

would be good to check where you can use it first

hope that helped

I was in Murray Bridge last weekend and noticed that the Speedway track there was advertising a sidecar meeting coming up soon.

Thank you all for the replies and help, as i write this he's in the garage stripping, cleaning, polishing the thing so i think he'll be trying to bring it :shocked:

5850_1157363624325_6881529_n.jpg

• 2 weeks later...