Are UK car seats suitable for Australia?

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Was wondering if anyone out there could give us some info about car seats for babies in Australia. Is it true that the car seats we have over here in the UK are not suitable for Australia? Will we have to ditch our UK car seats and buy new ones in Australia? If we have to buy new car seats, how do prices compare between Australia and the UK?:skeptical:

Appreciate any info.

Sarah

Guest Trakki

I will be interested about that 2 as we have 2 in car seats and 2 on boosters. Have had a look about the regulations there and they seem similar to here.

Sorry to disappoint you, UK car seats are not legal here in Australia. You will have to either get rid of them before you leave the UK or bring them with you and buy new ones as soon as you get here. We took ours onto the plane with us as we knew the children would sleep better in car seats than plane seats and we replaced them a few days after we arrived. The prices seem pretty similar to those in the UK. It's tempting to carry on using your old car seats but you will incur a hefty fine if you're caught.:sad:

Guest mossmac

Thanks very much for the info. A good idea to use car seats on the plane so the children sleep better. I had not thought of that. Have an eighteen month old and a two and a half month old and I think our eighteen month old certainly would find the car seat more comfortable on the plane. Our youngest should be ok in the air cot I think. Looks like we will be getting new car seats soon after arriving then!

Sarah

Guest louiesmum
Sorry to disappoint you, UK car seats are not legal here in Australia. You will have to either get rid of them before you leave the UK or bring them with you and buy new ones as soon as you get here. We took ours onto the plane with us as we knew the children would sleep better in car seats than plane seats and we replaced them a few days after we arrived. The prices seem pretty similar to those in the UK. It's tempting to carry on using your old car seats but you will incur a hefty fine if you're caught.:sad:

Hi

Sorry daft question comming up! Do you know why they are illigal, is there any difference, I have a 3 yr old who's in a car seat soon to change to a booster type one, you know with car seat belt, his a big boy for his age. And my eldest who's in a booster seat. I will be very interested in your reply as I was planning on bringing them but if they are illegal in Oz I wont bring them. Thanks

Hi

Sorry daft question comming up! Do you know why they are illigal, is there any difference,

Things have to be tested by a body to get an Australian standards approval. It costs lots of money for things to go through the process, and there is no rhyme or reason in the results, so lots of companies don't even bother.

Frustrating but there you go. The laws on car seat safety seem very vague here, and kids are often on the front seat in no seat at all, where mine are in the back in their boosters with a back (UK ones I'm afraid)

• 3 weeks later...

ive only just seen this question but i cant believe ive got to get new seats for kids i will use my english seats in adelaide as i know they are good for the job and if i get pulled by the police then i will cross that bridge when i get to it my child 10 mouth uses a fixed seat with british kite marks all over it and the 5 year old uses a booster with a seat back which is sponsored by british kite marks and i payed good monet for these as well

Guest Devon
ive only just seen this question but i cant believe ive got to get new seats for kids i will use my english seats in adelaide as i know they are good for the job and if i get pulled by the police then i will cross that bridge when i get to it my child 10 mouth uses a fixed seat with british kite marks all over it and the 5 year old uses a booster with a seat back which is sponsored by british kite marks and i payed good monet for these as well

This is Australia so British kite marks will mean absolutely nothing here it being a different country and all!!!!!!