Shipping work tools to oz

Guest Charl.M

Guest Charl.M

Can anyone give me any info on shipping tools over to oz. I'm an electrician i was wondering what tools I would be best taking with me and how best to ship over as I will be using them till the last few weeks we leave for Adelaide. Which is August . Appreciate any info. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve. I'm a diesel mechanic and I shipped my tools over in our container. I made it through the last few weeks in the UK by borrowing tools to use. If you bring or send tools over the main thing is to make sure they are spotless, no dust,dirt, etc. A light coating of oil or WD40 is acceptable. Basically Quarantine are looking for any substances on the tools which could have anything living or growing in it.

Peter

Hi Steve, I'm a mechanical fitter and i shipped all my tools over in the container. Gave them all a good clean, even the tool boxes and then the last wipe was with Jeyes fluid. If customs can smell Jeyes fluid they know you've made an effort. I also got all my tools insured (just in case). All my tool boxes were checked by customs so to be safe dont cut any corners with your cleaning as it can be expensive if customs say no.

Andy

Guest Charl.M

Cheers guys. The problem I have is I'm self employed and would probably need most of my gear till near the end. Also our shipping will take upto 16 weeks and that is far to long to be without them. Was considering sending them by air freight but not priced it up yet. So un sure of my best option. But thanks again for the cleaning tips

Guest AngPhil

My OH is an electrician, he shipped virtually everything. He took a couple of screw drivers, his tester? etc in his suitcase on the plane. He was lent bits and pieces when he started work and bought a few bits. The main thing he wanted out of the container was his tools, unlike the rest of the family who wanted our own beds!

Guest Charl.M

Haha angphil, I,m like that with my tools. I was going to ask about taking my tester. I take it they are conpattable in oz. I don't think I can do without my drills etc for so long. Really stuck on what to do. Did u ask permission from the airline on what u could put in the suitcase

Guest Crushfamily

I wouldn't worry too much as you will probably have 12 weeks of study before you are allowed to work here. Maybe some the sparkies on here can confirm this. It seems to have been the experience of several sparkie friends of mine.

Hi I'm a sparky, firstly don't bother with any 110v stuff. It's not used here just 230v and battery tools. I brought over my hand tools and a drill and shipped the rest in boxes. You can get work as a TA before you get fully licensed pretty easily so defenatly bring the hand tools over with you. If you have a tester bring that to. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry too much as you will probably have 12 weeks of study before you are allowed to work here. Maybe some the sparkies on here can confirm this. It seems to have been the experience of several sparkie friends of mine.

You can work as a TA straight of the plane.

I worked right up to emigrating. bought a 2 new tool bags, threw away drill cases and filled the bags with remaining everyday work tools and put them on air freight, took about 2 weeks. all my other tools came by container. As for testers I bought over my Fluke multi tester, cctv test monitor, everything and anything..... I sold all my 110v stuff at carboots... but If you want to bring them, cause If you end up working for yourself in the domestic game then change the 240v plug and no drama they will still work.

As for work, I was able to get a job on full rate cause I was seen to be doing my wiring rules and had an ARTC, there was no TA- ing here for me:wink:

Edited by Ashby Dicko

Cheers guys. Great info. Ashby how much did it cost u to send them by air freight. I will probably have to do both.

To be fair I can't really remember I think it was about £500 for about 4 boxes including custom clearance this end + my mate in the UK has an import/export company at East Mids airport.

Not only did we send tool but also sent over the last of our things ie .. bank statements , pension info, Iron

This was because we only had a 23Kg limit on our baggage not the 30KG you get for emigration, all because one of our flights was an internal one and not throught the same flight company from A to B. Otherwise all my tools and things would have been in another suitcase. (if this makes sence)

• 3 weeks later...