What are car running costs like compaired to uk

Guest rickyaswell

Guest rickyaswell

Hi just a few questions on my mind,

I am in the uk i am trying to look at car running costs in Adelaide.

1.Car insurance, can we bring our no claims discount from the uk and use it here ?

2.In the uk we can get up to 65% discount after about 5 years of not claiming is this the same ?

3.For a little extra on the insurance cost we can protect our no claims just in case we do have one or two accidents in the year can you do that here ?

4.Do you have car tax like the uk if so how much a year ?

5. Do you have to have your car inspected every year like here in the uk (mot) ?

Insurance costs.

6.what type of insurance(fully comp,Third party), and any discount that they have?

7..Cost of that insurance ?

8.Examples of what car they have ie 4x4 3lt or 2lt saloon etc?

From all this infomation i can get a good idea of the running costs.

I drive a Renault laguna 2 Initiale 1.9 dci (diesel) year 2002,

pay £120 a year for tax,

£35 a year for my car to be inspected ( MOT )

£280 a year for insurance this includes 65% discount

Does around 40 miles per gallon of diesel around town, or 60 miles on a long run.

Right i think that about does it.:unsure:

Thanks,

Richard

Guest mcfarscott

Hi

I've only been in oz for a few months (so don't shoot the messanger if not everything is 100% accurate!!) but what I have experienced so far is as follows:

1. When I applied for my insurance over here there was a question which asked how long I had been driving without making an insurance claim which must have been to determine the no claims bonus so as long as you specify how long you have been claim free for you should still get the bonus.

2. From what I know the no claims bonuses seem to be the same as I got a discount with my insurer (can't remember how much though).

3. Yes there is an option to protect your no claims discount.

4. Yes there is car tax but it is called vehicle registration over here and is more expensive than the UK mainly because it includes compulsary third party insurance. I paid $250 for 6 months registration on a small car.

5. There is no requirement to have an MOT but not sure if you have to do one when you sell the car or not. I'm sure someone else will be able to answer that for you.

6.+7. The types of insurance are broadly the same as the UK, however there is no requirment to purchase any insurance if you so wish as you are covered by the compulsary third party insurance on the vehicle registration. Personally I also purchased a fully comp policy which cost me $350 a year, but if any of the drivers are under 25 the cost goes up quite a lot.

8. We have a honda jazz 1.2l and a holden barina 1.2l and the cost of petrol ranges from $1.35 to $1.50 depending on which garage you go to.

Hope this helps, to be honest we find that the costs are similar to the UK overall.

Cheers

Scott

Guest rickyaswell

Thanks for your post, most of the cars i can find for sale have big engines Auto , 3L v6 v8 Do you need a big engine,do you need a 4x4 are the roads that bad.

thanks,

Richard

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi

6.+7. The types of insurance are broadly the same as the UK, however there is no requirment to purchase any insurance if you so wish as you are covered by the compulsary third party insurance on the vehicle registration. Personally I also purchased a fully comp policy which cost me $350 a year, but if any of the drivers are under 25 the cost goes up quite a lot.

Hi,

The compulsary 3rd party insurance is for bodily damage only and DOES NOT cover any vehicle in an accident

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/registrations/motor_vehicles/compulsory_third_party_insurance.asp

You will need to buy insurance if you want to cover your car or avoid a bill should you be at fault in a accident,

Guzzler

Guest soggy
Thanks for your post, most of the cars i can find for sale have big engines Auto , 3L v6 v8 Do you need a big engine,do you need a 4x4 are the roads that bad.

thanks,

Richard

Hi, from my limited experiance driving around adelaide you don't need a big engine and the roads are not that bad, however as anywhere else it depends on where you live and how you use your car, the hill areas are of course hilly ! and if you live there maybe a bigger engine would be a help, same if you have a long jorney to work, talking to a lot of car dealer while I was searching for my car, small cars are becoming more popular here mainly because like everywhere fuel costs are going up.:)

Simon:D:D

Guest rickyaswell

Thanks for your information.

Just a few more,

A.Where would your no claims discount come in ?

B.Would i just bring proof from my old insurance company like we do in the uk?

Its getting clearer. Reading the PDF file from the link. Saved it with all the rest of my infomation files.

I bet it all looks straight forward for you but its almost like starting from scratch to me and i need to get things straight in my mind before i move onto the 1001 other things i need to know. Sometimes its good to be able to speak to one person over the phone.

C. Is there such a service?

Thanks

Richard

Guest soggy
Thanks for your information.

Just a few more,

A.Where would your no claims discount come in ?

B.Would i just bring proof from my old insurance company like we do in the uk?

Its getting clearer. Reading the PDF file from the link. Saved it with all the rest of my infomation files.

I bet it all looks straight forward for you but its almost like starting from scratch to me and i need to get things straight in my mind before i move onto the 1001 other things i need to know. Sometimes its good to be able to speak to one person over the phone.

C. Is there such a service?

Thanks

Richard

Hi,

just bring your proof of no claims, when you phone to insure your car you get all the same questions as the uk, tell them how many years no claims you have, my company SGIC just took my word for it and did not ask for proof.

when you take out fully comp insurance here windscreen cover may not be included as standard and also replacement car cover if you have an accident is normally an extra, even if someone hits you, the other persons insurance won't pay for a hire car unless you can prove there is no way you can work without one, I have found this bit out to my cost!

Simon:)

Guest Nick11
Hi just a few questions on my mind,

I am in the uk i am trying to look at car running costs in Adelaide.

1.Car insurance, can we bring our no claims discount from the uk and use it here ?

2.In the uk we can get up to 65% discount after about 5 years of not claiming is this the same ?

3.For a little extra on the insurance cost we can protect our no claims just in case we do have one or two accidents in the year can you do that here ?

4.Do you have car tax like the uk if so how much a year ?

5. Do you have to have your car inspected every year like here in the uk (mot) ?

Insurance costs.

6.what type of insurance(fully comp,Third party), and any discount that they have?

7..Cost of that insurance ?

8.Examples of what car they have ie 4x4 3lt or 2lt saloon etc?

From all this infomation i can get a good idea of the running costs.

I drive a Renault laguna 2 Initiale 1.9 dci (diesel) year 2002,

pay £120 a year for tax,

£35 a year for my car to be inspected ( MOT )

£280 a year for insurance this includes 65% discount

Does around 40 miles per gallon of diesel around town, or 60 miles on a long run.

Right i think that about does it.:unsure:

Thanks,

Richard

Yes bring your no claims - it does count.

Car tax is called rego -$500 a year per car!!

No mots here!!

You get personal libility insurance in with rego.

My insurance was $600 for a mitsubishi colt and hubbys was $800 for an outlander.Didn't shop around and got it through garage - so think we should get it cheaper next time!

Very cheap to run around -I use about $30 a week on petrol - hubby about $40 and he drives into city each day!

Anyone recommend a good insurance company here in oz for next time we insure?

No the roads here are really good, you don't need a big engine and if you drive in the city you certainly don't need a 4 wheel drive. They block people's views are dangerous because of their bullbars to city cars and people who have them as the family car to drive kids to school and do the shopping.......well I'll stop ranting here.

Guest soggy
Yes bring your no claims - it does count.

Car tax is called rego -$500 a year per car!!

No mots here!!

You get personal libility insurance in with rego.

My insurance was $600 for a mitsubishi colt and hubbys was $800 for an outlander.Didn't shop around and got it through garage - so think we should get it cheaper next time!

Very cheap to run around -I use about $30 a week on petrol - hubby about $40 and he drives into city each day!

Anyone recommend a good insurance company here in oz for next time we insure?

Hi,

I was quoted $780 by the garage that sold me the car, I phoned SGIC and got fully comp for $410, thats without the extras I have already mentioned, thats as far as my shopping around went, they have been very good at getting the damage assessed and the repairs organised and did not seem to mind my claim only about 19 hours after taking out the policy.

Simon