what to put in our cases and hand luggage?? need some packing advice

Guest Benoli

we are making the move over in June and are currently in the process of getting quotes etc for a container. We intend to have our stuff arrive around the same week as us or thereabouts although fully aware things can be delayed and it could take a lot longer. Anyway, can you tell me what you did/didn't put in your case and wish you had/hadn't done? apart from clothes I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what else to pack!

some things I would like advice on is:

what to do with jewellery? do we need to declare it? is it best in our hand luggage or in our case or container??

we have 2 young kids so hand luggage will be taken up with a few toys, nappies, spare clothing, laptop, documents etc so not a lot of room left. What else do you think is best to have in our hand luggage?

has anyone got a checklist as to whats best to bring in our cases??

any help/advice will be very much appreciated xx

If your jewellery is of value, either $$$ or sentimental, I'd carry it on you or in hand luggage. Don't let it go in checked or shipping.

If flying at night or through what will be a night for the kids, PJ's and if young enough a sleeping bag. Sleep signals and all that for when its time for them to sleep. I never like letting little people sleep in their daytime clothes, they always seem to sleep better in PJ's/sleepsuits IMHO. Snacks, pre packed non sugar laden ones are also good.

I'd not go mad with toys tbh. I prefer colouring books, a few small toys but nothing loud, heavy or big. We always fly the night flight out from Heathrow with kids and much prefer it. Also perhaps wrap a couple of small gifts for them to give when they get a bit bored. Small toys or puzzles or something they can do.

If your kids are that young chances are you'll be walking up and down the plane a lot, looking out the windows in the doors and so on. I'd not overload yourself of the kids with stuff. Your children will be allowed a piece of hand luggage each so you can easily fit all their stuff in those bags and have your own stuff in your's. We never needed to pack any kids stuff in our hand luggage when flying.

Sachets of Calpol and Nurofen are life savers, especially if their ears hurt. Don't take the bottles in handluggage as they will make you ditch them if the 100ml liquid rule is in place. Same with pots of Sudocrem, E45 and so on over 100ml. So buy the mini pots of all that.

ah snifter thank you!! calpol sachets!!!! goodness I will definitely put that on my list, I totally forgot they come in sachet form. My kids are 2 yrs and 4 yrs so I guess I'll be running (they don't do walking lol) up and down the aisles.