Things I Wish I had Bought in the UK Before Moving ........

Guest blue

Hi

I just thought this might make an interesting thread. We are moving over in November and have had som much conflicting advice on things to fill up any excess space in our container with. Everything from nappies (we have a 3 year old and 1 year old) to a spare Dyson.

Any comments greatly appreciated!

Thanks , Blue

Guest Katangel

We are going in June and have decided to buy a few things new to put in the container. Stuff we know that is cheaper in UK than Adelaide. We bought a new top of the range dyson as they are very expensive in Adelaide. My husband has also just bought a whole heap of new brand name sports wear as that is cheaper. Also new trainers. We are taking all our furniture as we have a lot of proper hand made timber stuff and there is no way it.d be worth selling it and trying to replace it once there. We learnt also from our move to the UK 3 years ago it pays to take stuff like broom mop bucket laundry baskets bins etc and similar stuff as buying all that stuff again does add up. We are having a 40 foot container and so far in the quote they predict we.ll use three quarters of it but i bet we end up filling it all lol oh also bought our 2 year old daughter a new play house and have left it in the box to take. We are taking advantage of sales in the shops lol

Guest Katangel
don't forget June will be winter and bloody cold

stevo

Lol it wont be as bloody cold as derbyshire is right now!!!! Lol i welcome adelaide winter with open arms lol ;-)

Guest Adelaide_bound

The only things I wish I had put in the suitcases (or in the shipping, but we won't get that for ages still, and have been here 14 months, so suitcases would have been better lol):

* MANY MANY pairs of the cheap but so thick and lovely socks from Primark

*MANY MANY more pairs of the pants I like from Tesco

*Another pot of face cream from No. 7 and a couple more tubes of Protect and Perfect face serum

*Another tube of my Liz Earle face wash (and even that's not too bad, as they ship here, and the cost isn't too bad)

Apart from that? Not a bean - personally we've found we're able to find good enough quality and cheap enough prices on all the things I thought I would struggle with (bed linen, towels etc), so the small amount we have in our shipping boxes will be ok whilst we get around to getting a working household amount of stuff. You work out where to go to get stuff, when the sales are, and so on really. Having said that, I did buy a very reasonably priced goose down duvet and pillows from CostCo before we left and that's in our shipping (and its SO COLD at the moment I can't wait to get ahold of them lol!) But really, don't panic in general imho, just think about the things you really really can't get over here (ie stuff from Boots own label, and primark stuff lol). Most places ship out here now as well (hurrah for free M&S shipping to Oz!)

Guest Xhako

Well, I noticed that my make up is really expensive there (Clinique) so I'm bringing that as well as doing a big Primark shop to go on the container - vests, bed socks, plain t shirts and anything else I fancy as it is soo cheap, maybe a quick visit to Matalan too for some basic workwear and maybe a new air fryer - I cannot live without chips made in this.

Erm... Can I just say that it won't feel 'bloody cold' if you are coming from the UK - South Yorkshire is 'bloody cold' we're having a 'white Easter' it has snowed for the past seven days on and off and British Summer Time begins tomorrow.

I doubt very much that it will be -2 or less most days on your commute with gridlocked traffic and closed roads due to the dangerous weather conditions, you will probably be able to leave the house without ice grippers on your shoes ... :jiggy:

I am longing for the days when I feel 'cold' because its 14 degrees outside!

Roll on August...

I'm going back to England for a holiday soon and will be doing a lot of shopping. Trainers, sports clothes, childrens clothes, shoes, clothes in general. So expensive here in Adelaide, so much cheaper back in the UK. I resent paying exorbitant prices for things you know are dirt cheap in England. There also isn't the variety here, and often if you want something of decent quality it is really expensive - the alternative is cheap stuff from Kmart which is very low quality. Looking forward to visiting M&S, Next, Tescos, Sainsburys, TK Maxx, Matalan, the Reebok and Nike outlet stores....I'm not a great lover of shopping but must admit I am getting quite excited at the prospect!

Also as has been mentioned elsewhere, wallpaper and paint are really expensive here.

Guest Chris_J

If you're buying new stuff like furniture etc, make it look used or ditch the boxes, you have to declare on the form if anything less than 12 months old in there and you could be charged duty on it. If its in a box with a date.......

Hi katangel

Don't mean to be cheeky but can you tell me how much you were alter for a 40 foot container and who are using?

Thanks kathy

We are going in June and have decided to buy a few things new to put in the container. Stuff we know that is cheaper in UK than Adelaide. We bought a new top of the range dyson as they are very expensive in Adelaide. My husband has also just bought a whole heap of new brand name sports wear as that is cheaper. Also new trainers. We are taking all our furniture as we have a lot of proper hand made timber stuff and there is no way it.d be worth selling it and trying to replace it once there. We learnt also from our move to the UK 3 years ago it pays to take stuff like broom mop bucket laundry baskets bins etc and similar stuff as buying all that stuff again does add up. We are having a 40 foot container and so far in the quote they predict we.ll use three quarters of it but i bet we end up filling it all lol oh also bought our 2 year old daughter a new play house and have left it in the box to take. We are taking advantage of sales in the shops lol

I'm going back to England for a holiday soon and will be doing a lot of shopping. Trainers, sports clothes, childrens clothes, shoes, clothes in general. So expensive here in Adelaide, so much cheaper back in the UK. I resent paying exorbitant prices for things you know are dirt cheap in England. There also isn't the variety here, and often if you want something of decent quality it is really expensive - the alternative is cheap stuff from Kmart which is very low quality. Looking forward to visiting M&S, Next, Tescos, Sainsburys, TK Maxx, Matalan, the Reebok and Nike outlet stores....I'm not a great lover of shopping but must admit I am getting quite excited at the prospect!

Also as has been mentioned elsewhere, wallpaper and paint are really expensive here.

We too are going back for a visit soon,and will be on a shopping spree,much the same as above.TK Maxx here i come!Also busy ordering off Ebay UK now,and having goods sent to our relatives to pick up when we arrive(its so much better than Ebay Au):biggrin:Also,the socks in Primark are fantastic for the price.Would like to bring back 4 rolls of Wallpaper,and paste .Was wondering if anyone else had done this,and is it allowed?Newbies should stock up on quality goods now,Bedding,Towels,Kitchen and Bathroom items etc ,all these things will drain your finances when you get here.Best of Luck,Adelaide is good.

Guest Guest75
We too are going back for a visit soon,and will be on a shopping spree,much the same as above.TK Maxx here i come!Also busy ordering off Ebay UK now,and having goods sent to our relatives to pick up when we arrive(its so much better than Ebay Au):biggrin:Also,the socks in Primark are fantastic for the price.Would like to bring back 4 rolls of Wallpaper,and paste .Was wondering if anyone else had done this,and is it allowed?Newbies should stock up on quality goods now,Bedding,Towels,Kitchen and Bathroom items etc ,all these things will drain your finances when you get here.Best of Luck,Adelaide is good.

Going top make the most of the Emirates luggage allowance I see!!

We brought back six rolls of wallpaper in main luggage, no probs, just the weight - plus we have now moved house and don't have the right walls for papering now (lots of windows).

Make sure and tub of Marmite is in your hold and not hand luggage. It's classed as over 100ml liquid. Had my collectors jars confiscated last year at Manchester Airport !!!!

Guest Katangel

Think i can say who and how much ?? Anyways when we moved to UK we used wridgways in Adelaide and they were exceptional. Robinsons un packed us in nottingham and they too were great! We want wridgways to unpack us when we get back so i emailed them and told them the history and they have organised everything for us with john mason as we are now more derbyshire. They came out and did up our itinerary etc. Very happy with the process so far. Quote came in at just under £9000 for a 3 day lift. Which is what we were expecting. Just got to fill in all the customs forms etc now.

* MANY MANY pairs of the cheap but so thick and lovely socks from Primark

*MANY MANY more pairs of the pants I like from Tesco

Seriously it's the small crap like this that you will wish you'd brought. I used to buy both pants (the UK kind) and socks from Peacock and it's only recently after knocking on 8 years that I've found decent replacements. Sad but true.

A new Dyson will set you back in the region of $700 here

Check the EOFYS. Hardly Normal had them for $450 last year. Ours hadn't broken by that point unfortunately.

[

Hi katangel

Thanks or that info very useful

Kathy

QUOTE=Katangel;257939]Think i can say who and how much ?? Anyways when we moved to UK we used wridgways in Adelaide and they were exceptional. Robinsons un packed us in nottingham and they too were great! We want wridgways to unpack us when we get back so i emailed them and told them the history and they have organised everything for us with john mason as we are now more derbyshire. They came out and did up our itinerary etc. Very happy with the process so far. Quote came in at just under £9000 for a 3 day lift. Which is what we were expecting. Just got to fill in all the customs forms etc now.

I wish I'd brought more of my favourite No7 products from Boots as I'm yet to find another good value range over here. Even things like facewipes I've found super expensive in comparison and tend to stock up when they're on special . I still order my shampoo from the UK and also buy bits and bats like electric toothbrush heads from Amazon UK and get relies to send them over, it still works out cheaper.

We brought over some brand new Ikea furniture and a brand new x-box all still boxed and never had any problems with customs or anything. I also wish we'd brought a microwave and a vac as ours are pretty crap from Target and were still dearer than decent ones from the UK

I'm heading home this year and will be stocking up on bedding, make-up, clothes and running shoes. I'm actually considering taking a pretty much empty case! Make the best of your container would be my advise!

Guest patsmb
Well, I noticed that my make up is really expensive there (Clinique) so I'm bringing that as well as doing a big Primark shop to go on the container - vests, bed socks, plain t shirts and anything else I fancy as it is soo cheap, maybe a quick visit to Matalan too for some basic workwear and maybe a new air fryer - I cannot live without chips made in this.

Erm... Can I just say that it won't feel 'bloody cold' if you are coming from the UK - South Yorkshire is 'bloody cold' we're having a 'white Easter' it has snowed for the past seven days on and off and British Summer Time begins tomorrow.

I doubt very much that it will be -2 or less most days on your commute with gridlocked traffic and closed roads due to the dangerous weather conditions, you will probably be able to leave the house without ice grippers on your shoes ... :jiggy:

I am longing for the days when I feel 'cold' because its 14 degrees outside!

Roll on August...

One point I would make about the cold you will probably find your house is cold inside compared to UK houses - a lot of homes do not have heating right through ours didn't and was Baltic ( bit exaggerated but it was cold ) for our first winter The next winter we had ducted gas heating installed The temperature can get down to the minus 1 or 2 on occasion and if there is no sun during the day the house stays cold We live in Happy Valley on the side of a hill and its like Whistle Down The Wind - bring electric blankets and duvets as you will use them

Guest morgans

We are arriving in July...family of 4. Do you mind me asking hiw much you are paying for your 40 ft container? I am just about to sign on the dotted line with our provider.

Thanks

Sam