Dry herbs

Guest dondon75

Guest dondon75

We are a big fan of flavoured foods and currys.

Does anyone know if we would have problems if we put sealed dry spices into our shipping?

I had a similar issue a few years ago and declared it at customs - my items weren't allowed unless I was prepared to pay for a costly "fumigating" process. So I decided not to go for it. I was held up and taken aside while they investigated what the items were as they were a gift from one of my family members.....they were herbs.....true....believe me...:wideeyed:...it was annoying having to wait because it took a while. But I have brought other items (not herbs) through that have been vacuum sealed and obviously professionally bought and had no trouble.

There is this great warehouse in Adelaide called Gaganis that sells a wide variety of herbs and foods from all over the world that is very reasonably priced that you can buy herbs etc in bulk.

Guest Claire-n-tel

There is this great warehouse in Adelaide called Gaganis that sells a wide variety of herbs and foods from all over the world that is very reasonably priced that you can buy herbs etc in bulk.

I LOVE that place!:notworthy:

I LOVE that place!:notworthy:

I know - we usually go once every two months and stock up on the herbs and essentials. Their cheeses are really well priced and they used to have this great Cyprus brandy....which is not like the heavy duty brandy we have here but quite drinkable.... My Grandfather used to drink it by the bottle.....hmmm - feel like a glass myself..:smile:

I've brought Saffron, turmeric, Sumac...in sealed containers with me and declared them at customs. No issues. :smile: (I think they shouldn't be worth more than $1000 or else you will have to apply for a permit to import them)

Cheers,:smile:

Ali

I've brought packaged herbs in my hand luggage and declared it when I came in - no issues at all as long as it is sealed etc

NWM

There seem to be different rules for bringing in person when flying and bringing in shipping container. So long as you declare any foodstuff flying in it's ok in terms of no fine only taken off you if not allowed in. Shipping is a fee to fumigate or a fee to dispose. Both costly.

What's it called?

The Keo Brandy is good as mentioned by Wisette but I like the Anglais one too - but it is more difficult to get. I think they now have a restriction and you can only buy 6. I don't remember how much it costs here in Adelaide, but of course in Cyprus it was quite cheap to buy. There is another place called Omega Foods which is near to Gaganis which sells it in a single bottle. They also have a variety of wholesale items. But Gaganis is a lot bigger warehouse store and as Claire-n-tel mentioned it also has some great cooking tins and quite a variety of saucepans etc some of which are reasonably priced. You definitely have to visit to appreciate the place.

Guest oztostay

you can buy all the spices here I would leave them behind personally it's not worth the charges customs would incur

good one down the main south road