Suitcase Sizes?

Guest the4hopes

Guest the4hopes

Hope this isn't a silly question, but I have no idea on the size of suitcases to buy for me, OH and 2 teenage girls!!

Singapore airlines say we can have as many items as we want as long as each one is no more than 32kg, I don't know how much you can fit in a large suitcase, I don't want to buy them and then find they are too heavy when full up, or just by more smaller ones anyway?

Hope someone can advise?!!

Laura x

Guest the4hopes

Hi Gavin, I havent booked yet, I just emailed Singapore airlines from the website. We havent decided who to go with, my mum and dad have flown with S air and they said they were lovely people.

Does anyone know how far in advance to book flights, its must cost less the more notice you give?

Laura x

Guest isandev

Hiya Laura,

We have booked ours for 16th August with Singapore. The main reason being the prices dropped significantly on the 15th August saving us a bit of money. On every flight there are different classes at different prices (this is only for the pricing structure and does not dictate where the seats will be), obviously the cheaper classes fill up first so it is better if you book early, also you get the chance to pick where you sit and we booked asap to ensure we were all sat together. (now thinking that may not be a good idea lol).

I personally would recommend booking earlier if you have decided when you want to go.

Hope it helps.

Gavin.

Guest the4hopes

Hi Gavin,

Do you have to pay completely when you book or just a deposit? When did you book your flights?

I'm worried about booking before we sell the house.

I see Fionas a shop assistant, ooh so am I!! Does she want to do that in Oz?

Laura x

Guest isandev

Hiya Laura,

Yes afraid you do have to pay up in full, we booked three weeks ago. Im sorry didnt realise you had your house on the market, I have probably worried you about the prices now. If i was in your situation i would probably hold fire with booking the flights as if you need to cancel the flights the only way you could get the money back is on your travel insurance as the airline will not refund.

Fi is open minded as to what she will do over there. She will probably stay off work for a while until the kids settle in and then decide. She used to work in travel and may go back into that but only part time.

What are your plans? How old are your kids? What does your husband do for a living?

One point to bear in mind if you choose very large suitcases, is the problem with having to lift and manouvre them through airport lounges, and then get them into a boot of a car etc.

I would suggest getting the 1 size down from very large, as we find we can get about 24-25 kilos in them, which is still plenty when it comes to man-handling. If you manage to stuff more heavier items in, you will hopefully still be below the 32kgs, which is the very maximum the airlines will allow in a single case or bag. We have often seen people unpacking their cases, trying to decide what to jettison.

I would also try to book on an airline that travels direct into Adelaide, Singapore, Malaysian etc, as Quantas & BA fly into other airports such as Melbourne or Sydney, and you have to travel across the airport to another terminal to catch an internal flight.

and your bags once cleared through customs etc can be redirected to internal flight, before you leave international area. However flying straight into Adelaide shaves a couple of hours off the flight, which becomes very important when you've been stuck in a plane for nearly 22 hrs with a small break at some airport.