shipping christmas presents

Guest emmamichaelbrown

Guest emmamichaelbrown

We are emigrating mid December and was thinking about Christmas!!!! We have 4 young boys and I am sure that people will want to give them Christmas presents for us to take, so they can open them on Christmas morning. - How does this work with customs, as I know you are not supposed to bring anything in that is less than 12 months old? " of my sons also have birthdays within a fortnight of us leaving for Oz and so of course they will have new toys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Emma

Not sure of the customs situation, especially if the gifts are wrapped, but it would be easier if they gave them money! My family often buy Westfield vouchers for our kids for presents - they buy them over the internet in the Uk and they get posted very promptly here in Australia. They can then go on a big shopping spree at Marion, West Lakes or Tea Tree plaza. Most (but not all) shops in the shopping centres accept them. http://www.westfieldgiftcards.com.au/giftcard/

Also remember that if you have to bring the gifts over that's less space in you luggage for essentials - if they had money then when they get here they can go on a shopping spree buying things they may not have considered when they lived in England - boogie boards or snorkels to make the most of their new life near the sea!

We are emigrating mid December and was thinking about Christmas!!!! We have 4 young boys and I am sure that people will want to give them Christmas presents for us to take, so they can open them on Christmas morning. - How does this work with customs, as I know you are not supposed to bring anything in that is less than 12 months old? " of my sons also have birthdays within a fortnight of us leaving for Oz and so of course they will have new toys.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Emma

I'd say get them to either a) give you money in advance to buy something when you arrive to wrap and give them or b) have them order online (Aus stores) and have it sent to your Aus address or a post restante so you can collect. Or ask for small gifts (and I mean small :cute:, as in tiny bag packs of Lego or some such) that really won't take up much room if you plan to take on your flight. Or combine their funds and buy them one thing that is more expensive (ie say an iPad once in Aus).

While I get presents are nice I personally would not want to lug a heap of presents around the world for Christmas morning. I'd go the money route, set up a PayPal account or some such and then write/email/FB everyone who normally give presents to the kids and say as we are moving to Aus before Christmas we can't take presents with us as not got room. What we can do if you'd like to chip in is buy the kids a present once we arrive and have it be from everyone etc etc.

Another option is to ship presents as air freight and pay the costs of this and also any duty if its charged.

Posting presents via the postal service won't see you get them in time if you are moving mid December. Last posting date to Aus is usually well before and if you are in a short term rental then obviously they can't go there till you are actually in it. Unless you can set up a post restante address before you go over but am not sure this can be done.

Shipping presents with your house shipping isn't the best option if you don't ship it in time or in case its held up and doesn't arrive in time. Only do this if you know you can organise people to get presents etc well in advance and to go with the shipping months ahead, if you are shipping that far in advance.

Also consider the Aus Christmas is different from UK. Embrace the differences and make a day of it out and about somewhere, BBQ, beach or day out someplace. Chances are just being somewhere different doing something outside the norm for Christmas, the children won't really notice overly there is a lack of actual presents.