Removals companies-obligation for delivery?

huggesy

Just a quick question not sure if anyone can answer or not?

We had our stuff packed up 02/04/2013 to go in a shared container with a certain removal company I will not name, it still hasn't left the UK yet.

In the paperwork it states 10-14 weeks door to door, if it does arrive within this time frame have we got any come back on them?

Guest Claire-n-tel

Hi Huggesy!

I guess it might depend on what the paperwork is, ie is it an infomation leaflet or a signed contract? also the actual wording ie does it say some thing like 'most take 10-14 weeks' 'approxamatly 10-14 weeks' etc or that 'it will arrive in 10-14 weeks'

i have no personal experience of your situation (thankfully!) just ideas :)

I doubt very much you will have any come back. It will probably also say (in much finer print no doubt) that for shared containers you have to wait for another consignment to fill the container and the time given is an average time rather than a guarantee.

Sounds about right would imagine something in the small print, I will have a look later.

But I can definitely say the fantastic service I received before collection and when they packed everything up, doesn't seem to have continued with their customer service, seeing as I have been having to chase them up to find out what is going on, not sure I can recommend them wait and see when our stuff arrives .....eventually.

Hi There,

Sounds really familiar! Our stuff got packed up on 23/4, and still not on the way either :(- shared container as well. Cant get any straight answers from the removal company as I keep chasing them up for an update. They informed us the shipment has now been passed over to the 'shipment department'- not sure what this means, has the shipment left or is it leaving soon?! Have asked the question, but have been told to contact them again in 2 weeks for more news. In the mean time I should count on 12-14 weeks, but again not sure whether this is from now, or from when the shipment leaves! Driving us up the wall!

Thankfully, all we have is clothes, books, toys and some other bits and pieces in the shipment, so we can get by for now, but do need to go shopping for winter clothes and shoes by the sounds of it!

Guest Cadas

We've move 4 countries now with work and its the same story time and again.

Fantastic service and promises pre-move.... Complete 'sod you' from then on.

It's the world over, removal companies are lowlife generally when it comes to your convenience over theirs.

We are going through it again right now. Kent removals promised (and quoted) 5 days for our move from Sydney to Adelaide. We are now on day 5 with an expected delivery on day 8, despite the fact our furniture arrived by rail to adelaide this morning so they could have met their obligation had they wanted to.

The fact hotels are costing me $500 a day is of no interest whatsoever.

Guest time4fusion

My family have used shared containers twice when moving overseas and were always given approx times but with the disclaimer that it could be quicker or longer depending on how long it took container to be filled, any quaratine requirements, whether container was searched by immigration, weather etc...etc....there were so many variables i was quite nervous it would ever turn up. One time was roughly ten days late and second time the shipment dissapeared for about 2 weeks in transit but thankfully arrived!! I will keep my fingers crossed you dont have to wait to long. :)

Guest time4fusion

you could rent furniture short term if you need too and you can borrow toys from any of the big libraries that have toy libraries if you have kids

Luckily we are in furnished accommodation until our stuff arrives, and then it will go to unfurnished. Otherwise we would be looking at renting furniture so thank you time4fusion for those suggestions.After chasing the removals company again, they have now confirmed it has left but no one had updated the website to let us know, and surprise surprise the Australian side of the company have now just been advised!All I can say is roll on mid July which is the expected date we should get our stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

Our removals company gives you tracking details that only show the ship has left and nothing less, so pretty bloody pointless.I sure this has been posted before but thought I would add again for anyone who wants to knowhttp://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/As long as you have the ship name that your stuff is on, you can track the boat.