Costing Replacement Household Goods

Misplaced

Hi,

I am trying to price up what it would cost to replace our household goods if lost/damaged/stolen in transit to Australia.

How did you guys who have made the journey go about it? Did you look for like for like?

Did you price everything up individually?

Best websites to do the costings?

Cheers

Mis

Can I ask if you have to do that for insurance purposes or is it just for yourself?

We don't plan on doing this and will only cost up stuff if it turns out to be damaged once it arrives. I don't recall it being part of the shipping deal so wasn't worried about it unless I had to be.

Snifter - one of the firms we have had out stated on their insurance form that they would only pay out on items stated on the form. So I thought I would amuse myself and see what the costs would come to!!!

I am not sure whether the independent insurers require this information.

Our insurers (independent to our shippers) needed a replacement cover cost before they could quote us -we were amazed at just how much we'd actually spent over 12 years when we thought we were Ikea-d to the rafters! We also had to list items worth over $500 (pounds - our new Australian keyboard doesn't have pound signs) but we didn't have too many of them...

Fortunately we didn't need to use it, but it made us glad we'd gone to the bother of the container over buying new when we arrived.

To get an approximate cost all I did was work it out in pounds and doubled (I think I may have even added an extra $5,000 just to be on the safe side) - unless there are any specific items and then I suppose I'd just use a web-search to find similar and use the highest price I could find. Once we'd decided to get insurance it seemed to make most sense to make sure everything would be covered if it had to be replaced and that you won't be trying to find more money once you're here because you underestimated - remember it's not like you're actually going to be buying the items (unless something terrible happens) so you're not searching the internet for the best price, more an average price; and given how much there is to do with packing up the quicker you can make the job the better.

Edited by flossybeth

Guest Guest12727

It was a while ago but I remember doing an inventory for insurance and even took photos of some items that were breakable and a bit more valuable (special handpainted plates / vases etc) so that we had proof of their value if they were broken in transit. Luckily we had one broken glass only in our entire move.

This also came in handy when obtaining household insurance as we had a pretty good idea of the value of our stuff - must do this again and check we are still properly insured!

Snifter - one of the firms we have had out stated on their insurance form that they would only pay out on items stated on the form. So I thought I would amuse myself and see what the costs would come to!!!

I am not sure whether the independent insurers require this information.

We are using an independent insurer. I can't recall seeing in the blurb them wanting a price for each item but will read again.

ETA - We are not shipping masses of furniture. A few things but tbh none of it would cost a massive amount to replace apart from our bed. Cost over £1200 here and would want to replace with something of similar quality etc.

Edited by snifter

I worked out my own insurance - it was far cheaper than the cost quoted by the shipping companies. Honestly, I think I probably guessed. I would advise you that electrical goods and appliances cost far more here to replace. So I'd double whatever you think it is worth in UK!

I am a Director of Insure-Your-Move.com

As with all Policies you are required to declare the replacement value of your goods at destination. Easier said than done I know, but if you take, say, the 10 most valuable items in your shipment and go on a few Aussie sites to see how much they would cost to replace then this will give you a reasonable idea as to the overall variance between UK and Aussie prices. You can then use the % variance and apply this to the UK value of your entire shipment. Not 100% accurate but most Insurers will accept than you have done your level best to declare an accurate repalcement value at destination.

Please also carefully note most removers policies require you to list out everything in your shipment (a bit like re-writing War & Peace)as otherwise if it is not listed they will turn round and say you didn't declare that 'pot or pan' and therefore you are not covered and your claim will be declined.

Some Policies, however, are structured so you are only required to simply declare the overall replacement value of your entire consignment and then only list out items valued in excess of £ 500 or £750 or £1,000. This at least gives you the peace of mind knowing that everything which is packed is insured.

IYM