take the car or not??

Guest paul_smart

Guest paul_smart

Hi guys can anyone help here, I have a ford focus 02 plate, not worth anything over here 2K max but it seems old cars in OZ hold their value, would anyone recommend just loading it into the container? and sorting the paperwork out themselves or better buy a new one over there, I won't have much money to spend $11000 will be too much, I would need to spend a few hundred rather than thousand, so would it be worth taking mine, it's in grat condition and very low milage so it's got a few years in it yet! any ideas?

Thanks

Paul.

Guest Django

Hi Paul,

From what I understand you will considerably less money in your pocket if you brought your uk car with you to Oz than if you bought another car once you arrive. The costs involved are massive. The cleaning costs, (getting every speck of dirt off), import charges, etc will probably come to more than buying one. I'd flog your Focus (good car by the way Its what I used to teach in) and use that money plus the money you would save importing it and buy Oz side.

Pete

Guest paul_smart
Hi Paul,

From what I understand you will considerably less money in your pocket if you brought your uk car with you to Oz than if you bought another car once you arrive. The costs involved are massive. The cleaning costs, (getting every speck of dirt off), import charges, etc will probably come to more than buying one. I'd flog your Focus (good car by the way Its what I used to teach in) and use that money plus the money you would save importing it and buy Oz side.

Pete

Hi pete,

I was hearing that old 2nd hand cars are quite expensive out there I guess i'll have to scan some websites for some cars.

Thanks.

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi,

If I was you i would get an accurate quote on the Car through a shipping agency and see, then compare it to cars here. Check out www.carpoint.com.au

I sold my 4 yr old Renault Meganne Coupe in the UK for 2,800 pounds, then when we got here cars seemed so expensive, bought a 2 year old Hyundai Getz $11,500, i wished I'd have looked further into it, i've even contemplated importing a car as the Uk is so cheap.

Guest leemi1

Hi

I was looking into doing the same I have a 2005 vectra with 24,000 miles on the clock and to buy one like this is oz it would cost me 15,000 to 20,000 dollars I have been told that in order to ship a car you need to contact Australia house and get a document to say if its ok we have also been told that you are unable to sell the car for 2 years after taking it over as for the cost if you get a 40 foot container then you pay for the container not the weight

Hope this helps

mick

Guest stufi1997

Hi guys,

We didn't look into the shipping so don't know what the costs and import problems are but don't be fooled they are REALLY expensive here!!!!we've just bought a 1997 estate car for $7000 something similar in the uk we would not have paid anything over £400 for. The car dealer we spoke to thought it would be well worth it shipping a decent car over as the government gives you a grant or something once you take it over....didn't really pay that much attention to what he was on about but i'm sure i could ask him, honestly we absolutely couldn't beleive the prices they are all asking.

Hi guys,

We didn't look into the shipping so don't know what the costs and import problems are but don't be fooled they are REALLY expensive here!!!!we've just bought a 1997 estate car for $7000 something similar in the uk we would not have paid anything over £400 for. The car dealer we spoke to thought it would be well worth it shipping a decent car over as the government gives you a grant or something once you take it over....didn't really pay that much attention to what he was on about but i'm sure i could ask him, honestly we absolutely couldn't beleive the prices they are all asking.

Totally agree with you, they are expensive over here, we paid $8000 each for a ford falcon (which is similar to a vectra) 1999 model and a 1998 holden commodore station wagon (which is similar to a vauxhall astra estate). We would never have paid that in scotland, but we aren't in scotland anymore, so you just have to deal with the here and now (much to my dismay)

We wanted to bring our merc over but it was proving too costly, but in hindsight I wish we had brought it, it broke my heart for the price we had to sell it at for the sake of a quick sale, but look into it a bit more, the cleaning of the car and the adjustments that they possibly make could add to the cost of taking it over along with the customs and tax.

But good luck in whatever you decide.

Guest paul_smart

Thanks for the info guys, it helps to get the feelings of those who wish they had / hadn't I was intending to take mine as the milage is so low and it's only 4 years old, worthless over here almost but it'll be worth the $3000 to get it shipped over, the removals people also told me that I can use a 20ft container and put my stuff around the car which would fit as I am not taking much, i think i'll still save money if i take it as I don't have a nest egg to dip into!!

Paul.

Guest leemi1
Thanks for the info guys, it helps to get the feelings of those who wish they had / hadn't I was intending to take mine as the milage is so low and it's only 4 years old, worthless over here almost but it'll be worth the $3000 to get it shipped over, the removals people also told me that I can use a 20ft container and put my stuff around the car which would fit as I am not taking much, i think i'll still save money if i take it as I don't have a nest egg to dip into!!

Paul.

hi paul

what sort of car is it you are thinking about taking

cheers

mick

Guest susanmary38

Hi all

I've have been looking at the price of cars over in OZ, & it would break my heart to pay the money for the old stuff dealers out there are asking a lot of money for.

I have a 03 plate Ford Maverick which is a Mazda Tribute, I paid £3500 6 months ago, the same vehicle in Oz will fetch $17,000.

Must be well worth looking into exporting your car.

Sue has a 07 Ford Ka, might take that as well.

Have spoke to a friend in Hallett Cove he says if you look hard enough you will find a bargain, but what he says is Motor cycles are extortionate.

Dave N Sue

Guest Libby1971

Make sure before shipping your cars that the cost of new parts is not prohibitively expensive.

Most cars here are Japanese ones, ideally suited to the climate and which are reliable in these conditions.

Cars here are not so much expensive as hold their value much better than the UK. There is no damp or rust to destroy your cars anyway so your car will last an awful lot longer here than in the UK.

With the exchange rate today the cost of shipping a car valued at £3500 comes to almost $12000. Manuals are not as popular here as automatics so reselling may become an issue.

I personally would have done my nut if my OH had even suggested shipping a car to Oz. Unless your car is something truly unique like an Aston Martin, why on earth would you want the grief?

Libby

man didnt think cars were that much money in oz but hey i fix them for a living and what ever i get it will cost me nothing to fix it but im tempted to get a v8 ute crew cab or some dirty great big oz holden or commodore so many cars to choose from will have to look at the cost as well also how does this rego work is the insurance road tax and mot all in one?

alex

Guest sarahsmartiepants
man didnt think cars were that much money in oz but hey i fix them for a living and what ever i get it will cost me nothing to fix it but im tempted to get a v8 ute crew cab or some dirty great big oz holden or commodore so many cars to choose from will have to look at the cost as well also how does this rego work is the insurance road tax and mot all in one?

alex

Rego is the equivelent of road tax, you buy it 3, 6 or 12 monthly. It includes 3rd party insurance, but this does not mean you are covered 3rd party if you hit someone. All it covers is damage to HUMAN body. If they want the car sorted they will have to take you to court!

Unless you have separate insurance of your own. This you can take out as 3rd party, 3rd party fire and theft or full comp.

These insurance comps will take an uninsurred driver to court for you, if you have the misfortune to be hit by one....but only if they admit they have no insurance. We know this first hand as we were hit by a D*** H***! Although after several phone calls and a letter through his door, he decided to admit!

Insurance is not compulsory here!

There is no such thing as MOT here either, which I recon is why there are so many accidents..dodgy suspension + big dip in the road= loss of control!

sarah

If you know your cars and can fix them yourself there are real bargains to be had at the car auctions. We bought a petrol eating 6 cylinder, 4 l Ford Falcon, with 16" Mag wheels already on . 10 yrs old ( which is quite young here) for $4000 saving about $3-4000 that we would have had to pay. We spent about another $1600 over the next 2 yrs fixing the leaky gasket and radiator, but it was still a good bargain. These cars are great on the open road, powerful enough to cruise without feeling like it it's going to break up but economical. Not so good fuel economy in stop start city traffic. If I could afford it I'd have a small nippy car for day to day city driving.

Guest paul_smart
If you know your cars and can fix them yourself there are real bargains to be had at the car auctions. We bought a petrol eating 6 cylinder, 4 l Ford Falcon, with 16" Mag wheels already on . 10 yrs old ( which is quite young here) for $4000 saving about $3-4000 that we would have had to pay. We spent about another $1600 over the next 2 yrs fixing the leaky gasket and radiator, but it was still a good bargain. These cars are great on the open road, powerful enough to cruise without feeling like it it's going to break up but economical. Not so good fuel economy in stop start city traffic. If I could afford it I'd have a small nippy car for day to day city driving.

Wow, thanks for that rachiegarlo,

where are the auction houses in Adelaide I don't remember any??

if I can get a car for $4000 dollars then it might be worth looking into, maybe they have a website? I can't believe they don't have MOT, though the car I had out there would have failed miserably, maybe I just can't remember, are the midddle size cars (like a focus) cheaper or more expensive??