Shipping wooden furniture

Petal38

Hi everyone, just a quick question i'm hoping someone might be able to comment on ..... i'm not sure if this is true or not, but i heard somewhere that Oz is strict about bringing wood furniture over with you?! A lot of our furniture is wood - mainly oak i think, and i would hate to have to leave it as it's good stuff. Does anyone on this thread know if this is true, or is it perhaps only certain types of wood which are prohibited for some reason?

Many thanks!

Hi everyone, just a quick question i'm hoping someone might be able to comment on ..... i'm not sure if this is true or not, but i heard somewhere that Oz is strict about bringing wood furniture over with you?! A lot of our furniture is wood - mainly oak i think, and i would hate to have to leave it as it's good stuff. Does anyone on this thread know if this is true, or is it perhaps only certain types of wood which are prohibited for some reason?

Many thanks!

No problem with oak furniture, issues are with things like cane, Wooden garden furniture that may hold dirt must be thoroughly scrubbed clean.

Many thanks!

Have a look at this page - http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating and the links on it to prohibited goods, items of quarantine concern etc.

Don't panic with that list it doesn't mean you can't take things just that they may want to check these items. Feathers in your duvet are fine as they have been processed, that peacock feather you found outdoors is not fine.

Equally not all wicker, bamboo items are an issue it depends if they are treated, varnished etc. A varnished bamboo bowl from Ikea is not the same as an untreated bamboo floor mat from a market in Thailand.

Guest Adelaide_bound

Yeah, we had loads of wooden stuff, feather and down duvets and pillows, paintings/frames, antique furs, a HUGE wooden rocking horse (including real horse hair mane and tail) and it was all fine (I did get a letter from the maker of the horse to say it was fully treated/fumigated etc etc as well though). The big wooden blanket chest filled with the duvets etc and the horse got inspected, but it didn't cost any more than the basic cost, no hold ups at customs (unfortunately in our case lol) and was all very easy indeed.

Hi,

I don't want to put you off, but in addition to the rules about bringing wooden furniture, you might like to consider the longer term effects of the Adelaide climate on those lovely British timbers. I don't know how much air-conditioning would ameliorate the situation, but the air here is so dry in summer that it can shrink and dry even very seasoned and mature timber. This can lead to splits developing in the furniture, especially if glue has been used, and even the best-made joints can become loose. Similarly, you'll probably have to be prepared to keep an eye on finishes and be prepared to do more maintenance than in the UK.

As I said, I don't want to be alarmist but it's better you know about the possibilities before making the big decisions.

• 3 weeks later...