Shipping quotes - move progressing...

guspjmh

Well I've now had 3 of the 4 people checking the house - John Masons and Blatchfords have already provided quotes and I am waiting for PSS to email me tomorrow as the guy was out this morning. Final guy coming later today from Fox.

They seem to think we will squeeze it into a 20ft container (just) and the rough price of the 2 quotes so far is around the £4k mark. Is this reasonable, and how much room for negotiation is there?

I'm getting excited (stressed) now - but the move seems to be hurtling along and I have so much to do!

Hi

we are moving in September and we are getting th same prices and its all down to personal preference. We are bringing my wife's Mini Cooper a as worth a lot more there but that only an extra £1750 so makes sense just had the VIA through so booked container for September

Guest Mrs Bon Jovi

Have you discussed storage with them all as well Gus? The ones we had out offered varying degrees of free storage UK end. We didn't need it but I'm sure one of my friends was able to negotiate an extra few weeks storage for free.

I have never heard of being able to self load a 20ft container, I have always been told they are move likely to check your stuff at customs if you do it all yourself, didn't realize it was even possible on an international move and I have done it 3 times now

Have you discussed storage with them all as well Gus? The ones we had out offered varying degrees of free storage UK end. We didn't need it but I'm sure one of my friends was able to negotiate an extra few weeks storage for free.

Yeah, most of them offering 4 weeks free, although 1 actually will store in Oz, which is convenient as our stuff will be ready when we need it then. Tbh, all 4 have been very decent up to this point. Got a quote down to $3800 but apparently fluctuations in currency etc can impact this.

Guest MandiMR2
We are self loading a container for about 2k

We also did this last time.

Do you mind sharing how to go about self loading please? The saving of 2k is extremely appealing!

Yeah, most of them offering 4 weeks free, although 1 actually will store in Oz, which is convenient as our stuff will be ready when we need it then. Tbh, all 4 have been very decent up to this point. Got a quote down to $3800 but apparently fluctuations in currency etc can impact this.

This is what we found last year - the companies that came out all seemed as if they would do a good job, two we ruled out because they would not negotiate on price and were therefore just too expensive and then it was just a bit of eenie, meenie, miney-mo really. In the end we went with Pickfords and everything was as smooth as it could have been, everything arrived in one piece (although our stuff was re-packed at some stage because it arrived here in a different to container to when it left our house) and at both ends the packers were super helpful. I'd use them again if we ever needed to.

Good luck with your choice and your move.

Its funny how ppl experience different things it was very similar for us with choosing a company I had the opposite it was Pickfords who would not negotiate on price so therefore I did not go with them they lost out on a matter of about £300, more fool them but every penny counts with this move. Yes the actual shipping container goes back to the port as it belongs to the ship and has to be unpacked into a warehouse when it arrives to thats why you got it in a different container/ vehicle when it arrived.

This is what we found last year - the companies that came out all seemed as if they would do a good job, two we ruled out because they would not negotiate on price and were therefore just too expensive and then it was just a bit of eenie, meenie, miney-mo really. In the end we went with Pickfords and everything was as smooth as it could have been, everything arrived in one piece (although our stuff was re-packed at some stage because it arrived here in a different to container to when it left our house) and at both ends the packers were super helpful. I'd use them again if we ever needed to.

Good luck with your choice and your move.

Hello

We have just been quoted by Doree Bonner £3900 (837cubic feet) Full use of a 20 Ft container 6 - 8 weeks or £2000 (400 cubic feet) Part load container (groupage services) 8 - 16 weeks.

Just waiting for White & Co to return their quote.

Any advice or any experienced either of these two companies, please let me know.

Thanks Jo

Ive had no experience of either company, but I do not recommend sharing a container as its more likely things can get lost and also more likely AQIS will check the stuff if its a lot of stuff like furniture items etc I recommend sole use of a container, if its just a few personal bits then sharing would be the only option as it would be cheaper xx (just my opinion and what I was told) I have moved overseas 3 times now and have been told exactly the same thing each time by different companies xx

Hello

We have just been quoted by Doree Bonner £3900 (837cubic feet) Full use of a 20 Ft container 6 - 8 weeks or £2000 (400 cubic feet) Part load container (groupage services) 8 - 16 weeks.

Any advice or any experienced either of these two companies, please let me know.

Thanks Jo

Hi

we are moving in September and we are getting th same prices and its all down to personal preference. We are bringing my wife's Mini Cooper a as worth a lot more there but that only an extra £1750 so makes sense just had the VIA through so booked container for September

hi Kevin, I'm also thinking of bringing my Golf but getting mixed info on shipping. Are you putting the mini in with the rest of your stuff or separately? Who are you shipping with?

Hi we are using Anglo pacific and the mini will go in the 40 ft container with the rest of the furniture

pickfords were the same arrangement you have to drive the car to their depot and disconnect the battery and have no petrol in it so they can ship it. You need to get a vehicle import licence from Canberra which took about 6 weeks to get

Hello

Thanks Jo

I've had friends move back to London from Adelaide and it's Grace there and Doreen Bonner here, they were impressed both sides, all on time and no breakages, I'll be getting a quote from them soon

hi Kevin, I'm also thinking of bringing my Golf but getting mixed info on shipping. Are you putting the mini in with the rest of your stuff or separately? Who are you shipping with?

thanks, just out of interest what ate you estimating your total car shipping and clearing costs? I got to $8k AUD and gave up!