Book flights - arrive before or just after container arrives?

Guest twinfamily

Guest twinfamily

Hi all,

I'm having a dilemma regarding booking our flights. Our container should arrive

in Adelaide on 13/10/13 - estimated if course. I've been told customs can take a couple if weeks. Should we aim to arrive a few days after the container ? We've secured a rental property and don't want to end up buying lots of essentials whilst we wait for customs. Our long term rental is unfurnished so we'll likely be staying at a hotel/ apartment for a couple of weeks whilst we sort out the house.

Thanks very much.

Jessica

I would not plan anything around your container other than booking your flights once your container has arrived. If you try to arrange things around its arrival you will only end up frustrated, dissapionted, upset, annoyed, angry! so make plans that will, and you can make, work!

Good luck and enjoy the journey.:smile:

Guest vikkiann

Our belongings were sat in the shippers warehouse for 3 weeks longer than expected!

generally, it takes a week or 2 to clear customs depending on how much you hassle them!

We had the same issue. We ended up renting furniture etc until our stuff was delivered (at least 3 weeks later than estimated).

It works out cheaper the longer you rent it for and is cheaper than furnished rentals in the long run. You can rent as much or as little as you need from teaspoons to washing machines. We used these guys and organised it from the UK, they were really helpful.

http://www.argusfurniturerentals.com.au/

Guest twinfamily

Thanks all for the replies. Since we will be staying in the UK whilst the container ships, I don't want to end up buying essentials in England, with my good stuff on the container, land in Adelaide and possible have to buy more stuff whilst waiting for the container! Could end up with 3 kettles/3 lots of beds for everyone etc etc! Will look into rentals.

Do we need to be in the country for customs clearance ? Has anyone arrived a week or so after their container landed? Didn't know what the australian authorities would say if we weren't in the country when our stuff arrived.

Cheers