Packing

Henley girl

I'd not use them for clothes in shipping over equator and all that. If mildew gets a hold in them, ick. People do use them though. Shippers don't seem to like to use them, they go tea chest sized cardboard boxes.

Tbh I've found the boxes great. Can get loads in and its only taken 3-4 for us. Bedding and duvets going in the drawers for shipping.

Guest Adelaide_bound

We used them for *everything* - brand new and old feather duvets, pillows, all our clothing inside the suitcases, a load of winter coats in a big wooden box, a load of blankets, old towels....everything fabric. We put a couple of those tiny satchets of silica we had hanging around in a couple of them, but literally only a couple. We left the UK in February, when it was thick snow and wet wet wet. Our stuff then sat on the docks in the UK for a couple of weeks and then in storage in Australia for 18 months. Not a spot of mildew, mould or anything else. We got HEAPS more in by using the vacuum bags, which saved us loads of money as we only needed about 1/3 of a container, and would have needed a lot more if we hadn't shrunk stuff down, as most of it was fabric stuff it turned out lol. Shippers don't like them as they quote on space, not weight, and therefore loose money the more you pack in a smaller space. They will tell you it will definitely go mouldy. They are lying.

• 1 month later...
We used them for *everything* - brand new and old feather duvets, pillows, all our clothing inside the suitcases, a load of winter coats in a big wooden box, a load of blankets, old towels....everything fabric. We put a couple of those tiny satchets of silica we had hanging around in a couple of them, but literally only a couple. We left the UK in February, when it was thick snow and wet wet wet. Our stuff then sat on the docks in the UK for a couple of weeks and then in storage in Australia for 18 months. Not a spot of mildew, mould or anything else. We got HEAPS more in by using the vacuum bags, which saved us loads of money as we only needed about 1/3 of a container, and would have needed a lot more if we hadn't shrunk stuff down, as most of it was fabric stuff it turned out lol. Shippers don't like them as they quote on space, not weight, and therefore loose money the more you pack in a smaller space. They will tell you it will definitely go mouldy. They are lying.

thanks for that comment, I have started buying the vacuum bags to stock up for when we pack next year. I had also been told to out 1 silica sachet in each bag just in case!

Hi there, we also used vacuum bags for duvets, towels and bed linen and had no problems.

I would recommend though that you pack the vacuum bags about a week in advance so you see which ones will inflate (throw the bag away if this happens).

Also make sure everything is absolutely dry going in the bags. We didn't use silica sachets (left it too late to order online) but think they can't hurt and prob would help!

Enjoy packing! Don't envy you, it was the most stressful part of the whole process for me. It is worth it though : )

• 2 weeks later...