My shipping company

huggesy

I won't mention names but had the shipping company around and was very impressed with quotes and information provided, hands down a good sales pinch.

Decided to go with them, and all along the way I have been impressed answered any questions we had etc. The move day comes prompt arrival, nice gentlemen.

once they had gone with our stuff, it's took almost a week before they tell us we are over the quote amount and won't send it till we pay up, okay I knew there would be a cost as thought we might be over didnt manage to sort as much. As we would have liked :realmad:

We used a shared container, so knew there would be a delay before it left that was expected, our stuff took 7 weeks before it was even shipped even though they said 2-4, I kept having to chase them to find out what was going on, during the transit period at no point did we received any updates about boat changes or the fact our move co-ordinator had left the company! When we took delivery of our stuff in August 4 months later, again I couldn't fault the delivery guys they were fantastic unpacked the items I needed them to and generally just really helpful.

Except when I finished unpacking all of the items, we found damaged and missing items, so we provided all the information the company asked for what the items were worth and photos of damage was all they requested after having to chase around for someone to deal with it, that was 2 months ago and still don't feel like we are any further forward and are just banging our heads again a brick wall, I again keep having to chase them about what is happening and don't seem to get any information, they advised me it had been passed to a manager last week and he would be in touch but I have heard nothing, they are quick enough to take your money:arghh: I am so disappointed in this company, the van men are fab but shame about the rest, I shouldn't still be dealing with them 6 months afterwards.

so after my rant, I suppose I would advise anyone who is in the process of shipping quotes etc, is ensure you get all of your time frames in writing, clarify everything insurance times etc. and anything that can come apart take it apart before packing.

and of course make sure to have a few treats in for the removals men, as they work bloody hard.

I know it's too late for you but sharing a container is well known on the forums for possibly taking ages before shipping and for costs changing due to differences between actual volumes and estimated volumes. For people reading this before sorting shipping I would either take more than you originally planned so you have a 20ft container to yourself or take slightly less and use a move cube.

Unfortunately breakages can happen which ever company you use. Did you take insurance through the shipping company? The other thing I quite often read on the forums is people having real issues with insurance when they take it out through the shipping company. Again it's too late for you but for anyone else moving out I would strongly recommend taking out your own insurance through either Letton Percival or Insure Your Move. We found Letton Percival (slightly) cheaper but the companies offer slightly different cover which explains the difference in price. Both places are much cheaper than going through the shipping company and I haven't read anything bad about either of them yet.

OP - I really hope you can get this sorted soon. It's not really the start you want when you move over.

I think you should name and shame, from a guess was it PSS?

The OP has not said who it was. Please don't try to have the company named on the open forum. For legal reasons we cannot allow name and shames but members are able to use the PM system. Members are welcome to PM and ask and the OP can then reply if they wish.

Thanks for the replies so far, as snifter said I'm not allowed to name and shame but I will say it wasn't PSS. I will get it sorted, I didn't struggle for the last year to get the money together to move us over here to then let my removals company get away with this, if I don't get any satisfaction off them I will go for the jugular no doubt about that.

As I said we knew there was delays with a shared container but every now and then you just want to believe the sales pitch but it was all about the limited funds at the time and yes we took insurance with our removals company as it was cheaper, I hope anyone in the process of organising their moves finds this useful to save them any hassle :smile:

Learn from my mistakes to save making your own:yes:

Thanks for the replies so far, as snifter said I'm not allowed to name and shame but I will say it wasn't PSS. I will get it sorted, I didn't struggle for the last year to get the money together to move us over here to then let my removals company get away with this, if I don't get any satisfaction off them I will go for the jugular no doubt about that.

As I said we knew there was delays with a shared container but every now and then you just want to believe the sales pitch but it was all about the limited funds at the time and yes we took insurance with our removals company as it was cheaper, I hope anyone in the process of organising their moves finds this useful to save them any hassle :smile:

Learn from my mistakes to save making your own:yes:

This is unusual, or was when we came over anyway. When we came the shipping company quoted around 3.5% of the value of our goods whereas Letton Percival charged us 1.5%ish (can't remember the exact figure) of the value. Insure Your Move was something like 1.75% of the value of the goods. I don't know if having a shared container makes a difference though.

Phoned the company today after being advised it had been pasted to a manager 2 weeks and still heard nothing, made my OH call as I knew I would blow a gasket (which I did :arghh:). He advised he has been busy, so not quite got around to looking at the insurance claim and then proceeds to blame us for the damage. he advised should know by next week what is happening with the claim, they delivered almost 3 months ago.

• 1 month later...

so after involving the ombudsman for insurance the removals company have come back, they are taking no responsibility for lost items, accusing us of damaging items they did and have offered 10% of the total value of loss and damage.

So back to the ombudsman again for help :mad:

So anyone looking into removals and insurance please read the small print, do your research and flat pack everything you can just to be on the safe side and make them unpack every item when they are with you so they can record damage.

• 4 months later...

We insured with Letton Percival.

We had a claim, discovered a couple of days after delivery that TV was damaged. It looked OK but the screen had been subjected to an impact and damaged under the glass.

they also broke a glass candelabra.

All sorted on line and payments into our bank account within three weeks, could have been quicker but it took me a while to sort the paperwork and research replacements.

I am a Director of Insure Your Move Ltd.

Whilst Letton Percival is a competitor of ours we are not surprised to hear the claim as described was settled by them in a timely manner to the satisfaction of the customer - this what comes about when using an insurance provider who is both regulated and has no conflict of interest, unlike the removal companies.

I think there is a clear and simple message here !!