Questions about driving licenses

Guest mossmac

Guest mossmac

Hi there,

Can anyone tell us about driving licenses for South Australia. Are we OK with just our British driving licenses or do we need to get international driving licenses as well?

We plan to hire a car for a few days until we buy one and a friend of ours who lives in South Australia seemed to think that car hire places would only accept an international driving license. Is that correct?

Also, when you do buy a car, how long is it before you have to get an Australian driving license? Can you convert your British/ International driving license to an Australian one or do you have to do tests etc?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sarah and John

Hey Sarah and John,

We are lucky enough that when we all get to SA we can transfer our British licences for SA ones just by paying the appropriate fee. You dont have to retake any tests.

You can drive on a British licence for 3 months....then you will need to transfer it.

One tip i was told was to leave an address in the Uk for the DVLA. If you tell them you are emigrating they will ask you to surrender your licence....there goes your proof for your SA one!!!

Dan and Steph

In my intense research I have been informed that you have to gain an international driving permit from the UK before you can drive in Australia and then you can only drive for three months then you have to retake your test and also your driving theory. I have been told by the transport SA registration & licensing authority. Tony

Guest Guzzler&Sas
In my intense research I have been informed that you have to gain an international driving permit from the UK before you can drive in Australia and then you can only drive for three months then you have to retake your test and also your driving theory. I have been told by the transport SA registration & licensing authority. Tony

Not sure where your intense research is coming from, I'm afraid it couldn't be more wrong, Scooterdan is spot on check this link http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licences_certification/drivers/overseas_residents.asp

Good luck

Guzzler

Hi there,

having arrived just 6 weeks ago, we went to our local driving office and completed the relevant forms, paid the relevant fee, got a photograph taken then within a couple of weeks we were in receipt of our new licence. No tests required.

We still have our uk drivers licence too as they do not ask you to surrender this.

We are on a temporary 3 year visa and if there were any restrictions, I think they would have applied to us, but to our advantage there are none.

Hi there,

having arrived just 6 weeks ago, we went to our local driving office and completed the relevant forms, paid the relevant fee, got a photograph taken then within a couple of weeks we were in receipt of our new licence. No tests required.

We still have our uk drivers licence too as they do not ask you to surrender this.

We are on a temporary 3 year visa and if there were any restrictions, I think they would have applied to us, but to our advantage there are none.

Hi,

We are due to arrive in Adelaide within the next 3-4 months on a permanent visa, I currently have the driving license with my photo on it, is this the type you went over with and did you have to bring an International Driving Permit with you as well.

Cheers

Derek & Jak

Guest soggy

my wife who as a chinese citizen had a chinese driving licence had to have an official translation of her licence, or international permit, had to take her theory tests and then practical within 3 months during which time she could drive in Australia, she has now done this and has her SA licence, Me on the other hand a UK citizen with a proper UK licence just had to show my licence, passport,proof of current address, fill out a simple form and pay the fee to get my SA licence.

Simon:D:D

• 2 months later...
Guest emmasgran

Hi Dan

You seem really clued up on this driving malarky so I've a question for you. My hubby is an HGV1 driver with over 20 years driving experience. Do you know if his HGV1 license will be the same as a car and do you have any clue what the Aussie equivalent of HGV1 would be? He hopes to get a driving job when we arrive. Any info would be great!

Cheers,

Fiona

Guest Guzzler&Sas
Hi Dan

You seem really clued up on this driving malarky so I've a question for you. My hubby is an HGV1 driver with over 20 years driving experience. Do you know if his HGV1 license will be the same as a car and do you have any clue what the Aussie equivalent of HGV1 would be? He hopes to get a driving job when we arrive. Any info would be great!

Cheers,

Fiona

I am pretty sure he will have to sit a practical test and possibly a theory test to obtain his Ozzie equivilent, check out the SA transport website for the details http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/licences_certification/drivers/,

Good luck

Guzzler

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya Fiona.

Im in a simular boat as ur hubby.

You can only do a straight exchange on Car and Motorcycle licenses.

My PSV is not valid in OZ so when i go to change my license i have to ask for a HR upgrade and resit my PSV.

Im pretty sure this applys to HGV as well.

Guest emmasgran

Hiya,

Sorry to show my ignorance but wht is an HR upgrade? Is there a waiting list to upgrade PSV and HGV and do you have any idea of cost? Sorry a lot of questions but trying to get info in the UK about these sorts of things is tricky. Guzzler suggested a web address which I will check out too.

Thanks

Fiona

Guest cornish Busdriver

Hiya.

HR is Heavy Ridged and acording to my new transport manager at Transit plus it will cost about $700 to re do my test.

Our PSV and HGV standards are not classed as high as Australia's; thats why we have to re do our test.

Not sure on the price of HGV but the office should be able to help on price or try contacting so haulage firms for more info.