shipping companies ..which one to use.... would love opinions

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Guest Rachael M Bowen

We have been in discussions with Pickfords and Anglo Pacific, they both seem very good and the reps were lovely, Both called Paul which was freaky! we now can't decide which to go for so would love any feedback.

PM me so that I don't get a telling off again LOL!!!:embarressed::smile:

Guest MandiMR2

Hi Rach huni, hope you are all well. How exciting hey?!! we're finally at this stage!! Are you taking all your household contents?

We're using a 20ft container & have had quotes from the companies you mentioned above as well as from John Mason, PSS & 2 local businesses here in Lincolnshire. We plan to sit down this wknd & compare these, with a view to making a decision. Obviously the price is a main deciding factor, as well as the professional & personal conduct of the reps & previous members' experiences posted on here. I have haggled with all the companies & have had around £100-£150 taken off, so now its time to decide!!! & like you we're undecided!!! x

I am a Director of Insure Your Move Ltd and herewith a recent post we made on a sister site...

As part of our on-going risk management assessment we regularly review the ratio of reported claims on a remover by remover basis which is shared with Insurers and is independently verified. Based on the number of insured moves arranged by ourselves the top five removers in 2013 to Australia with the lowest number of reported claims against number of insured moves includes PSS Int, Pickfords, White & Co, Crown Relo and Anglo Pacific.

This is not a recommendation as you will need to satisfy yourself that your chosen remover can meet your specific requirements but this does give an indication, from the records we keep, as to some of the better performing removers to this destination.

We hope this assists in your decision-making process.

Guest Rachael M Bowen

Hi, yes we are taking all our stuff but we live minimalistic ..having said that we too have been quoted for a 20 foot container. So what have you haggled on????? PMSL you are so funny I can vision you right now xxx be good to have a chat Monday 20th when we meet up....you still ok for that?

Guest MandiMR2

Me funny?!! why? lol

We've been through everything & have decided to go with John Mason, just submitted our acceptance form!!! Soooooooooooo excited!!!

Speak to you on Monday cupcake, take good care, Mandi x

P.S. have you posted your preference for the date of next meet up on my thread? hope you can all make it again x

We have been in discussions with Pickfords and Anglo Pacific, they both seem very good and the reps were lovely, Both called Paul which was freaky! we now can't decide which to go for so would love any feedback.

PM me so that I don't get a telling off again LOL!!!:embarressed::smile:

People don't need to PM recommendations if you are asking for them :) They are fine to post replies in a thread if someone is asking for people to recommened a service/business. What is no longer able to be posted is people starting a new thread to post a recommendation. Hope that makes sense :)

From the forum rules

17. Recommendations - You may start a thread asking for members to recommend a service to you, however all threads started recommending a company/service may be deleted at the discretion of PIA Moderators.

FWIW, I've read decent things about both the companies you mention. IYM has posted so it may be worth seeing what their listing for claims is :)

End of the day, if there isn't really anything between them on price (haggle haggle haggle) and service, go with the one you feel most comfortable about.

we found Andy at Crown Relocations filled us with confidence and he also knocked off money to make sure he was the lowest price. That was followed up by great support from the office and removal guys and whilst we cant comment on the overall service (our stuff is somewhere en route!) we can't reccomend them highly enough. get a quoute from Andy and see what you think before making a decision.

Tony and Sharon

Guest ScotsGlider:)

Hi There

We sold all our big furniture on Gumtree (Sofas, beds etc) & packed everything else in boxes (clothes, bikes, book, dishes etc). We went with Anglo Pacific as they charged by the box (£30 each for 30 kilos) It's only costing £900 to have everything shipped over. Just bought everything new in Ikea and Harvey Normans when we got here? They should arrive in 2wks, then we'll have to pay $204 for customs. Hope that helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi There

We sold all our big furniture on Gumtree (Sofas, beds etc) & packed everything else in boxes (clothes, bikes, book, dishes etc). We went with Anglo Pacific as they charged by the box (£30 each for 30 kilos) It's only costing £900 to have everything shipped over. Just bought everything new in Ikea and Harvey Normans when we got here? They should arrive in 2wks, then we'll have to pay $204 for customs. Hope that helps :)

We did the exact same thing Scot and do not regret selling everything and buying new here. The money what we saved with going for a container we bought new furniture to go with our new house in a new country ! Also, Kmart and Target do great household stuff now at really good prices - so worth starting a fresh I reckon. Ikea and Harvey Norman are great for furniture

Sarahx

We just had Pickfords guy here on Friday.

He is going to quote us on a part load of a 20ft container......we are also going to be selling loads of stuff (sofa's, shelving units, dining tables, ...blah...blah) Trying to box as much stuff as we can. Rep was really good and said he will work with us in terms of items.

He then went into a hard sell chat (although he thought he was being mr nice guy) about a company called ANZ (sim cards for phone, hire car deal etc) and another that transferred our cash to an Oz bank for free????

Listened to the chat.....but remained sceptical.

Anyone else had deals like this offered??

We are waiting on quote due Tuesday.

Guest MandiMR2

Hi BillyJo, when we was contemplating what to take/not to take, which was quite recently, I researched the cost of replacing what we had here & found that it was significantly more expensive to buy new in Adelaide. Many posts about this debate are from people who moved some time ago when the pound was stronger (e.g. in 2007 it was around $2.2 to £1) & are consequently outdated. Therefore, we decided to ship all our household belongings in a 20ft container. Our quotes which were submitted in the last couple of months included...

Pickfords £4,089. PSS £3,871. Barnes of Lincoln £3,775 & John Mason £3,575.

As for insurance, it is frequently recommended on PIA to use a separate insurance to the shipping company (as is also suggested by a friend in the removals business). We have had quotes for the contents of the container with value of up to £32k of £440 with Letton Percival & £603 with Insure-your-move.

Hope this info helps. Please feel free to PM me for any specific information & my personal opinions of the above companies, Mandi x

Edited by MandiMR2

I am a Director of Insure Your Move Ltd.

Please be advised the actual extent of cover being offered by Letton Percival, ourselves and the removers doesn't vary a great deal. In essence we all offer 'Door to Door' All Risks cover with a few added 'bells and whistles' such as mold and mildew protection, electrical and mechanical derangement protection, free storage insurance up to 30/60/90 days depending upon the Policy etc etc BUT the main variance is price.

Being more specific the main variance between our Policy and Letton Percival's is that our Policy has no excess where as Letton's has a £ 250 excess thus the reason for the price variance but the main difference between both Letton's and our Policy with that of the removers is the price.

To assist and so that you can compare 'apples with apples' last year we produced a rate/cover comparison schedule which we are happy to reproduce on this forum if permitted. This doesn't advocate who's Policy is better but allows you to make more of an informed decision.

One final point is that you will find none of the insurance companies offer removal services as they are not experts in that field therefore should removers be offering insurance services ............

Guest Rachael M Bowen

All The shipping companies we saw all charged 3% where the other separate insurers are round about 1.5% of the value of goods.

We've decided to go with Crown Relocations and as Mandi says you'll have your own personal preferences as to who you choose and why. Not yet decided on insurer

Guest Rachael M Bowen
We just had Pickfords guy here on Friday.

He is going to quote us on a part load of a 20ft container......we are also going to be selling loads of stuff (sofa's, shelving units, dining tables, ...blah...blah) Trying to box as much stuff as we can. Rep was really good and said he will work with us in terms of items.

He then went into a hard sell chat (although he thought he was being mr nice guy) about a company called ANZ (sim cards for phone, hire car deal etc) and another that transferred our cash to an Oz bank for free????

Listened to the chat.....but remained sceptical.

Anyone else had deals like this offered??

We are waiting on quote due Tuesday.

We had Pickford's and other companies quote for us too....they all tell you about banking and money transfers but this is not a bad thing..it gives you the opportunity to have an informed choice....you'll have to think about banks and money transfers anyway so by them giving you a few company names it makes the process easier.....you don't have to tell the companies who recommended them to you if you don't want but if it gives the rep a bit of a bonus then hey why not?