Cost to ship belongings of a 3 bed house

Reena1991

I know this has probably been asked before but can anyone let me know if they shipped out their household belongings for an average sized 3 bed house and how much this cost you. I know costs will vary but wanted to get a rough idea on how much it might cost us as we haven't made a decision yet as to whether we are going to ship our things or just start over completely. I am for shipping our things, OH thinks it'll be more economical to buy in oz. also what size container would we prob be using if we took most of our household furniture for a 3 bed house with dining room?

Thanks for any responses!

:smile:

If what you have already is good quality and not old, I'd say definately bring it. We bought the contents of a good sized 3 bed house and garage in a 20ft container and think it was around the 4200GBP mark. Well worth it. It would cost a lot more to re-buy everything here and also the hassel of having to source everything again.

I would ship it will cost more than that to replace things. You do have to factor in the shipping time. You will be without your things at one side or the other for a couple of months.

many ways to deal with this.

last time we shipped just before leaving UK and when we got unfurnished rental we rented the things we neede til ours arrived.

This time we shipped early as we had things to leave in UK with our son. Still meant getting furnished accommodation until our things arrive.

either way worked out cheaper than replacing everything. We didn't fill a 20 foot container but when I trotted it all up for insurance it would have cost just under £60,000 to replace it all.

seriously add up in each room what it will cost to replace everything, from washing machines to teaspoons, you will be surprised!

Ballpark is around £4500. Can go more or less. Plus fees the other end. That's sole use 20ft container.

Are the fees for storage? Anyone have rough idea how much fees are? If we do ship, we are going to try and time it so stuff arrives just after we do as will be staying at my parents for a couple of months before we leave so house stuff will leave before we do.

thanks again everyone for advice!

If what you have already is good quality and not old, I'd say definately bring it. We bought the contents of a good sized 3 bed house and garage in a 20ft container and think it was around the 4200GBP mark. Well worth it. It would cost a lot more to re-buy everything here and also the hassel of having to source everything again.

That's my thoughts on it but I suppose paying out that much money on top of visas is quite daunting as opposed to gradually buying things in oz.

I would ship it will cost more than that to replace things. You do have to factor in the shipping time. You will be without your things at one side or the other for a couple of months.

many ways to deal with this.

last time we shipped just before leaving UK and when we got unfurnished rental we rented the things we neede til ours arrived.

This time we shipped early as we had things to leave in UK with our son. Still meant getting furnished accommodation until our things arrive.

either way worked out cheaper than replacing everything. We didn't fill a 20 foot container but when I trotted it all up for insurance it would have cost just under £60,000 to replace it all.

seriously add up in each room what it will cost to replace everything, from washing machines to teaspoons, you will be surprised!

How much did it cost to rent things before your stuff arrived?

Will do what you have advised and add the value of everything, can't believe it came to 60,000 for you, def worth taking it!

Yup I was surprised too. It did include 3road bikes and lots of CDs DVDs and games but not loads of furniture. My cutlery that we got as a wedding preside over 25 years ago and used every day would cost over £500 to replace, good crockery and pans and kitchen stuff soon adds up.

White goods travel fine either change the plugs or use adapters. Good idea to take several 4way extension sockets so just one adapter plug gives you 4 English outlets. Really good for things with transformers too where you can't just change the plug.

Are the fees for storage? Anyone have rough idea how much fees are? If we do ship, we are going to try and time it so stuff arrives just after we do as will be staying at my parents for a couple of months before we leave so house stuff will leave before we do.

thanks again everyone for advice!

Nope, not storage. That's a whole other thing you would have to arrange and pay for with your shippers. The fees are customs this end. We paid $400 or so I think. You can read about it all on the Aus DAFF site.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating

Also, what sort of electrical goods did people take- tv, washing machine, Hoover etc and do you just use an adapter for them or change the plugs over? Sorry for all the questions, just so good to hear from others that have actually experienced the move! :jiggy:

We didn't ship any of that. We are replacing here. The small electrical items we did bring we either changed plugs or packed a few spare power boards and adapters.

If it's in decent condition and you want to bring it, do so. It's what works best for you.

If you have an old fridge or freezer I'd not ship but buy new here. Aus fridge freezers are bigger than UK ones generally.

Things I knew I definitely didn't want to bother shipping were things like curtains and blinds. Windows here way different sizes than UK houses. Plus outdoor garden stuff like table and chairs.

Nope, not storage. That's a whole other thing you would have to arrange and pay for with your shippers. The fees are customs this end. We paid $400 or so I think. You can read about it all on the Aus DAFF site.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating

Didn't even think about custom fees, assumed it would be included in shipping costs, more research needed me thinks!!

We didn't ship any of that. We are replacing here. The small electrical items we did bring we either changed plugs or packed a few spare power boards and adapters.

If it's in decent condition and you want to bring it, do so. It's what works best for you.

If you have an old fridge or freezer I'd not ship but buy new here. Aus fridge freezers are bigger than UK ones generally.

Things I knew I definitely didn't want to bother shipping were things like curtains and blinds. Windows here way different sizes than UK houses. Plus outdoor garden stuff like table and chairs.

Someone told us that to change a plug you have to, by law, hire an electrician to do it for you. Do you know if this is true?!

Guest MandiMR2
I know this has probably been asked before but can anyone let me know if they shipped out their household belongings for an average sized 3 bed house and how much this cost you. I know costs will vary but wanted to get a rough idea on how much it might cost us as we haven't made a decision yet as to whether we are going to ship our things or just start over completely. I am for shipping our things, OH thinks it'll be more economical to buy in oz. also what size container would we prob be using if we took most of our household furniture for a 3 bed house with dining room?

Thanks for any responses!

Hi there, we live in a 3 bedroom detached bungalow & when we was contemplating what to take/not to take, which was quite recently, I researched the cost of replacing what we had here & found that it was significantly more expensive to buy new in Adelaide. So we're taking everything from here with us!

Many posts about this debate are from people who moved some time ago when the pound was stronger(e.g. in 2007 it was around $2.2 to £1) & are consequently outdated. Therefore, we decided to ship all our household belongings in a 20ft container. Our quotes which were submitted in the last couple of months included...

Pickfords £4,089. PSS £3,871. Barnes of Lincoln £3,775 & John Mason £3,575.

As for insurance, it is frequently recommended on PIA to use a separate insurance to the shipping company (as is also suggested by a friend in the removals business). We have had quotes for the contents of the container with value of up to £32k of £440 with Letton Percival & £603 with Insure-your-move.

Hope this info helps. Please feel free to PM me for any specific information & my personal opinions of the above companies.

Also when I did my visa validation trip in September last year, I did some research into storage in Adelaide, as the shipping companies charge a fortune to hold the container for longer & it is at the port which is quite a way out from where we will be staying. Here's what I found...

U.Store.It at their Melrose base they charge $291 per month for 3x4m unit & $342per month for 3x5m unit. At their Ashford base it is between $295-366 per month. They offer a 5% discount for 6 months stay. Access is Mon-Fri 8.30-5pm. Sat 8.30-4pm & Sun8.30-12pm. $15 admin fee.

Kennards will store a 20ft container on site for $250 per month. A storage unit price for 6x3m is between $350-$420 per month. Access is Mon-Fri8.30-5.30pm. Sat 9-5pm & Sun 10-4pm. $20 Admin fee.

Store Ur Stuff charge $ 234 per month for 3x3x3 unit, $337 for4.5x3x3 unit & $396 for 6x3x3 unit. They offer 30% off 1st month for 3months stay. 10% off per month for 6 months stay. Access is daily 6am-8pm. You can pay extra to gain access 24/7. $27.5 admin fee.

Hope this is useful, Mandi x