should we ship our big winter coats?

Leeallott

Seriously, it does get really cold here, and for some reason even when it is 15c it feels colder that a uk 15c!

I have never seen a fur coat worn in Adelaide.

Also you don't need a thick coat, yes it gets cold but not that cold. I left my winter coat in UK with my parents, so I could use it when I went back there.

Also, you may not be able to bring real fur in, I would check.

We shipped ours. TBH when we landed last year there was a real chilly spell and inside the house was colder than outside. I was wearing more layers indoors and taking them off once out. I can see I'll be doing the same come winter here in a few months if we are still in this house.

Having lived in cold houses in the UK with no central heating I know how cold it can feel in winter indoors. I used to wear a duck down gilet over my sweater and top and that was in the kitchen cooking! Here I was pretty much doing the same, in spring, although minus the gilet as it was in the container somewhere on the high seas. I wore 2 sweaters and a top instead :biggrin: Still not really warm.

Plus its handy to have warmer coats if we ever go to colder parts in the winter. I'd rather have my good quality duck down coats already here rather than having to buy new.

PS - Roll on buying our own place where we can install our own choice of heating for the house. Roll on a woodburner and whatever else is efficient and good.

Note to self - Do they do night storage heaters or some such here? Must investigate options :cute:

Edited by snifter

Guest Guest12727
our shipping company is coming wednesday and my wife is not sure if she should bother taking her fur coats and other winter coats, we know it gets cool in adelaide but not sure, any advice? thanks

Winter coats yes, fur coats probably not. But if you have plenty of room, why not?

I generally wear two coats in winter, one lovely 3/4 cord with woolly lining for when it is really cold and one waterproof for when it is wet. Otherwise, fleeces and thick jumpers / layers suit most of the time. As others have said, it can be cold inside the house, (but not the office / shops). Where I would have worn just a shirt or long sleeve tee in UK, I wear jumpers or woolly cardies in the house here - but never a coat. I think this really depends on the type of house and heating you have. Always have a throw on the sofa to snuggle under in winter. Generally wear scarves in winter outside but never gloves or hat as I did in UK.

Layer up with clothing is the answer i find.I wear 3 or 4 layers in the Winter,both outside,and sometimes inside too.The houses are not warm inside,unless you have good heating.Also fuel bills are escalating(though that applies all over the world).The three houses i have lived in here,since arriving,have been very uncomfortable in Winter without heating on,especially of a night,i liken it to the temperature in the outdoor shed/garage in November in the UK.Clothing is important in the Winter here,so bring your trusty fleeces,warm coats etc.

I left my (artificial) fur lined coat in the UK but brought my warm wool coat with me. I barely wore the wool coat last winter as it rarely felt cold enough to need it. Jumpers and my summer coat were sufficient most of the time. However one of the first things I bought when we arrived in July 2012 was a big, thick, fluffy dressing gown that I wore over my clothes every evening when sitting down to watch TV. You might find you don't need the winter coats for day wear but they may come in handy inside in the evenings.

Guest Claire-n-tel
My OH had the same idea, he left his thick winter coat at my parents and when we went back for a visit it was gone - my mum had took it to the charity shop!!!

**enter mother in law jokes stage left** :wink:

My partner was on nights & came home to find me wearing all my clothes with a dressing gown & my body warmer on! I'd tied the hot water bottle under the dressing gown I was so cold in our rental in Oct! Didn't help we where sleeping on an air bed at the time with a kmart $10 quilt! ! Was elated wen my container arrived with my fur hat & gloves!

Guest Guest75

Listen to you lot!!!

Must all be from the South of England!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Must admit I have to trim my Speedo's with a bit of fur in winter...........................................

Just stirring the pot............:tongue:

Looking at the positive side................... we have 4 seasons here ..............

I LOVE Autumn and Spring - and most of summer .

BUT

Some beaut days in winter too.:cool:

My partner was on nights & came home to find me wearing all my clothes with a dressing gown & my body warmer on! I'd tied the hot water bottle under the dressing gown I was so cold in our rental in Oct! Didn't help we where sleeping on an air bed at the time with a kmart $10 quilt! ! Was elated wen my container arrived with my fur hat & gloves!

That gave me a right giggle.

I know when we arrived last October it was nippy here and I did find it cold in the house. Outdoors was a heat wave compared. I don't know if if was due to having just arrived, jet lag and being tired but it made me miserable. Didn't help that all the doors and windows were left open 24 hours a day so never had a chance to warm up.

Layer up with clothing is the answer i find.I wear 3 or 4 layers in the Winter,both outside,and sometimes inside too.The houses are not warm inside,unless you have good heating.Also fuel bills are escalating(though that applies all over the world).The three houses i have lived in here,since arriving,have been very uncomfortable in Winter without heating on,especially of a night,i liken it to the temperature in the outdoor shed/garage in November in the UK.Clothing is important in the Winter here,so bring your trusty fleeces,warm coats etc.

But that is not unique to Adelaide, why wouldn't you heat the house? Houses in winter get cold if not heated!