Best time to pack contents?

srg73

We are planning a move for September therefore would it be best to send contents on their way during July? This would leave us approx 8 weeks without in Oz which should be time to go from a short term let to longer term let ie 6-12 months before finally deciding to sell UK home and plant our permanent roots in Adelaide.

How have other people planned this.

Concerned I maybe overthinking the whole move!

S

Hi there, we sent ours at the end of September (2011), they arrived mid December and we put everything into storage as we went traveling after Xmas (spent Xmas new year with family who live here).

Your plan sounds about right to me and don't worry you do a lot of overthinking, just go with your gut and she'll be right !

Rob

We sent ours literally as we left and were without our stuff for about 10 weeks, really depends I suppose who you use but its normal to have around 3 months I would say without your stuff, we stayed on a campsite to start so we had to buy nothing !!! as it had everything but then had a week in our house before our stuff arrived so it meant getting another load of blow up beds, saucepans etc to tide us over, if you are sending in July and going in September your stuff should almost be there when you get to Australia , you need to think about being without in the UK between July and September also so whatever way you do it your gonna be without for a period, Ive never done it like that before (sending it early), some removalists do offer free storage for a period at the other end but not all do, good luck.

We are planning a move for September therefore would it be best to send contents on their way during July? This would leave us approx 8 weeks without in Oz which should be time to go from a short term let to longer term let ie 6-12 months before finally deciding to sell UK home and plant our permanent roots in Adelaide.

How have other people planned this.

Concerned I maybe overthinking the whole move!

S

I think that if you have family and friends you can borrow things from while still in the UK it is worthwhile sending your container on ahead. Ship the stuff you want to keep, hold the rest back till you are ready to leave and either Gumtree/recycle/tip it in the run up to leaving. And then any of the stuff you've borrowed you can return.

We sold off a fair bit of stuff before we moved so spent the last month without things like a sofa or dining table but we had kept an old mattress and camping chairs to sit on, had a small Ikea table and chairs we used and then we either sold or took to the dump to recycle. Other stuff we had not shipped like our ancient fridge freezer and older washing machine went to the recycling centre too. Made it really good in the run up to us leaving as we had lots of things we could still use and then dispose of in the last couple of weeks before we left.

Our last night in the UK we had blow up mattresses and old sleeping bags, 2 camping chairs and that was about it. So we went out for dinner to a local pub that night and got breakfast from the bakery round the corner when we woke in the morning. Was fab, made it more of an adventure and less emotional in some ways as our stuff had already gone on ahead a bit earlier. Our taxi to the airport arrived at 11am and we were off :)

Edited by snifter

We sent our stuff seven weeks before leaving the UK then stayed at my mums. Once in Adelaide we lived at my mother in laws for 2 weeks then moved in to a long term let. At which point our container had arrived so we didn't have to manage without stuff at all.