Singapore airlines or Malaysia Airlines ???

richard300

Both companies seem evenly priced and both a notable amount cheaper than all the other airlines.

Similar journey and stop over times.

Where is the better place to have to suffer a period of 6-7 hours? Singapore(SIN) or Kuala Lumpur International?

Singapore use a Boeing 777-300ER for the long flight and an Airbus A330-300 for the slightly shorter flight.

Malaysia use a Airbus 380 for the long flight and an Airbus A330-300 for the slighty shorter flight.

Any notable difference in service or space?

Will be flying economy with both.

I have flown both several times and would ALWAYS choose Singapore if the price was similar/same.

The main reason would be the airport for stopover: KLIA is one of the most boring airports in the world in my opinion, whereas Sinagpore is fab: rooftop swimming pool and spa for less than $15, cinemas, cool chill out lounges, free video games, butterfly house, ponds, cactus gardens to wander etc - all just passes the time that little bit easier! KLIA on the other hand has the standard shops but nothing else to set it apart. 6-7 hours there would drive me absolutely mad. Both airports have the standard lounges of course and options to book a cheap bed for a short time or to pay for a shower in a lounge. Personally I would be bored in 30 minutes at KLIA.

I have also had 3 bad experiences with Malaysian (lost luggage that wasn't returned until 12 days into a 14 day holiday in South America, lost luggage that didn't make it from Syd - Adelaide on another trip and a 14 hour flight with no working TV in my seat, nor the 2 seats they tried to move me into). I realise everyone has these kind of anecdotes on many airlines and maybe I was just unlucky. However, I remember thinking many times 'never again Malaysian!' on those instances. (Of course I'm a cheapstake and would happily take one of their $1500 specials to Europe if no other airline got close!)

Singapore wins for us over Malaysian.

Hubby very recently flew with Malayasian airlines to KL and then on their code share with Qatar via Doha to his destination. They had a really short transfer in Doha, 45 minutes. When he checked in in Adelaide the Malaysian airlines person said they don't generally allow such short transfer bookings as it cuts it really fine and could not understand how it had been booked. Obviously it had.

As it was, hubby made Doha 15 minutes early and got his connecting flight but his baggage in the hold did not. That arrived a day later. His oversized piece of checked luggage, a big bike box was transferred fine however (guess it was easier to get off the plane). Was of no use to him till his luggage arrived though as all his kit and tools to assemble were in the bag :cute: He also had 6 hours to kill in KL airport and was mind numbingly bored after a short time in KL airport. Changi at least has good entertainment options and a pool which we like to use. Its a decent price and you can stay in as long as you want, shower after and then go relax elsewhere. Its an outdoor pool on the roof of the airport hotal and its lovely to swim at night :) It does close overnight about 11pm iirc but is usually open in the day/evening. Really like breaking up our flight that way.

Edited by snifter

Emirates for us and many others now.

They have great safety as well - an acquaintance of ours is in aircraft safety.

They never seem to have the good deals on when we fly, had my parents on them a couple of time though and they were quite happy with them, as well as number 1 son and his family. We are looking at going over to UK next May, not our usual dates so will watch out for Emirates deals coming up.

I would personally avoid A380's aircraft. Only because on the Boeing 777 and the A330 I think the sides of the aircraft are only 2 seats (with a 2-4-2 seating arrangement), meaning as a couple you get 2 seats to yourselves without having anyone next to you.

Just flown with qantas and emirates to the uk and although emirates is better for entertainment, I thought qantas gave you more alcohol, sorry better service. All flights though were A380's, so apart from a couple of seats on the whole aircraft in economy you cannot avoid being next to someone which I find stifling.

I would personally avoid A380's aircraft. Only because on the Boeing 777 and the A330 I think the sides of the aircraft are only 2 seats (with a 2-4-2 seating arrangement), meaning as a couple you get 2 seats to yourselves without having anyone next to you.

Just flown with qantas and emirates to the uk and although emirates is better for entertainment, I thought qantas gave you more alcohol, sorry better service. All flights though were A380's, so apart from a couple of seats on the whole aircraft in economy you cannot avoid being next to someone which I find stifling.

Regarding the A380, depending on the airline, Singapore and Malaysia for example, some of their 380's are configured with some 60 economy seats upstairs, these are configured 2-4-2 with the 2 next to the window having a little cupboard between the seat and window, besides being handy for storage it makes the whole seat seem roomier. With Singapore if you get in early enough with your booking you may get the seats upstairs (maybe best to book direct with them) with Malaysian we paid a $50 premium per flight leg ($100 return per tkt) still cheaper with the deal at that time. Also being so few upstairs was quieter and better chance of choice on meals and cleaner toilets too.

I find Emirates from Adelaide always pretty empty.

Keith, thanks for the tip re the upstairs, I didn't know that. But my frequent flyer points are important to me, so I will stay loyal! After 2 trips with Emirates I have already become a silver member so get to use the business lounge, have a shower etc at Dubai.

Guest Guest14361

Keith, thanks for the tip re the upstairs, I didn't know that. But my frequent flyer points are important to me, so I will stay loyal! After 2 trips with Emirates I have already become a silver member so get to use the business lounge, have a shower etc at Dubai.

Re upstairs, you get to board first before economy

I don't think Emirates have that economy configuration upstairs, but seat guru should help with that or on any airline or a direct call to the airline itself. Also the thing about booking direct with the airline you get better info instantly about the configuration on any particular flight, for example singapore has 2 flights out of LHR but usually only one has the economy upstairs, travel agents may not have the details of which one it is. I sit with seat guru open whilst talking to the airline so I can ask for or at least see where the seats are/available as booking, I have even changed date/timings to get preferred seat availability.

I stay loyal to my wallet, and pick out a select few for the best deals, must say though, not found (after trying it once) a real draw in sitting on a plane, then sitting in a airline lounge then back sitting on a plane, but that is only my way of thinking.

The reason I 'chose' Emirates was for the times, and with me going every 3 months and it being paid for, the frequent flyer is very handy!

Previously comfort and times were the most important, as I found pricing was not that different. I did experiment with Virgin, from Sydney, didn't like that and have no desire to do that route again.

Don't get bored on a plane do you? I enjoy every minute of it, seriously!

the bored was more the waiting for everyone to board and then get ready for take off. I can think of better things to do than sit on plane for 19 out of 21 hours, but I enjoy the reason I do the travel, so wont complain!