transport from airport

jonathanallen

Not sure what forum to put this on but when we arrive at the airport in a few weeks time there will be 2 adults and 2 children with 6 large cases plus hand luggage. We will be travelling to the baybeachfront apartments in glenelg can anybody tell me if we can get a minibus outside the airport or would we have to get two taxis. Also if anyone could give us a rough price what the fares are thanks very much

jon:smile:

Guest Guest75

They have a cab rank just as you walk outside of the airport. There are station wagons (estates cars) normally in the line.

The bloke organising the line will sort you out with one.

Not sure on price- $30 tops???

Agree with Tyke. There should be options that will fit you all and your baggage. I see plenty of mini van type taxis around and about so would think there will be some at the airport also.

Cab to Glenelg isn't too far so should not be extortionate. Never had to take one so unsure of costs.

Enjoy Glenelg. You are arriving at a nice time of year, early spring and it is lovely round there.

http://www.adelaideairport.com.au/air-travel/to-and-from

You could also try this and see if it holds out anywhere close to the actual fare when the time comes. Let us know if it does :smile:

http://www.taxifare.com.au/

Not sure what forum to put this on but when we arrive at the airport in a few weeks time there will be 2 adults and 2 children with 6 large cases plus hand luggage. We will be travelling to the baybeachfront apartments in glenelg can anybody tell me if we can get a minibus outside the airport or would we have to get two taxis. Also if anyone could give us a rough price what the fares are thanks very much

jon:smile:

we are also a family of 4 arriving in Glenelg on 14th September staying just down the road from you. :) How old are your children? Ours are a 13 year old girl and 12 year old boy. :jiggy:

we are also a family of 4 arriving in Glenelg on 14th September staying just down the road from you. :) How old are your children? Ours are a 13 year old girl and 12 year old boy. :jiggy:

Hi we have two daughters aged 10 and 11 and a son 21 who will be joining us in November. Maybe you'd like to meet up at some point to see how your getting on. At the moment the two girls haven't quite come round to the move but we are hoping once they get there they will come around to the idea and settle in.....fingers crossed !

Hi we have two daughters aged 10 and 11 and a son 21 who will be joining us in November. Maybe you'd like to meet up at some point to see how your getting on. At the moment the two girls haven't quite come round to the move but we are hoping once they get there they will come around to the idea and settle in.....fingers crossed !

Our 2 have had a long time to get used to the idea. We've been talking about it for the past 4 years! we would def like to meet up. Will send you a PM once were there and sorted :)

Guest nomads

Hi Jon and family. What time do you arrive - ie is it during the school day? We have lived in Adelaide for 4 plus weeks but over here in Aus for nearly 7 years. We live in Blackwood in the hills area about 30 minutes from the Airport and have 3 children 21 y/o son, 19 y/o daughter and 15 y/o son. It can be really daunting moving to a new place and not knowing where you are going or what you are doing etc and that first arrival is overwhelming. I believe in 'paying it forward'. We have been very blessed with kindness when we arrived. If you are due in Adelaide between 10am and 2.30pm (sorry but thats the only time I would have an empty car) I am happy to meet you and your family when you arrive and drive you to your apartment. Also happy to drive you to the car rental place etc once you are sorted or take you to the local supermarket etc to find your way around. You are also welcome to share a meal with us at our house if you would like. This is NOT a service offered lol and there is no charge whatsoever, only a request that if you are able at some point, that you chose to do the same for someone else new when they arrive. Let me know if you would like me to meet you. We have a Tarago 8 seater so with the back seats down we can try and squeeze everything in. If you have already made plans that is fine - just wanted to give you the offer and welcome you to your new (and very worthwhile) life down under :)

Hi nomads thank you for your very kind offer. We land at 08.15 in the morning so not sure how long it takes to clear customs. But we would love to meet up with you so you could point us in the right direction for like supermarkets and what to do on arriving in adelaide etc if that's no bother. Maybe your son could tell my 21 yr old what australian life is like for their age ! Lol as he's not sure if he wants to stay when he comes in november. Any guidance we can get would be much appreciated and hope that we can meet. You have made us feel at ease already knowing that people are willing to help Thank you very much:smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

we arrive on 12 sept we stayed in bay beach for our reccie in feb this year and was nice we are staying in henley beach this time while we look for a rental we would love to meet anyone we have a 12 year old boy and a 15 year old girl hopefully going to henley high

we used aussie car rentals on brighton road and have tried to book a car but no reply can anyone tell me are they still in buisiness

thanks

Hi all

we used aussie car rentals on brighton road and have tried to book a car but no reply can anyone tell me are they still in buisiness

thanks

I heard that from someone else to but it looks to me from their website that they are now in Hendon, Tapleys Hill Road. Perhaps they are in the midst of moving and not replying for that reason. I know a few people who have used them and they provide a great service.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi nomads thank you for your very kind offer. We land at 08.15 in the morning so not sure how long it takes to clear customs. But we would love to meet up with you so you could point us in the right direction for like supermarkets and what to do on arriving in adelaide etc if that's no bother. Maybe your son could tell my 21 yr old what australian life is like for their age ! Lol as he's not sure if he wants to stay when he comes in november. Any guidance we can get would be much appreciated and hope that we can meet. You have made us feel at ease already knowing that people are willing to help Thank you very much:smile:

Hi guys. I am PM'ing you this also incase it slips through the system! Wow, Its close to your departure time - I can only imagine the heartache you are feeling as you leave family and friends in the UK. If it helps, it does get easier!! I thought when we left I might never get to see my parents again (72 and 70 at that point). In the nearly 7 years we have been here, my parents have visited Victoria where we first lived, for 6 weeks; Darwin 3 times (for 8 weeks each time) and NSW where we used to live once (for 8 weeks). We have been back as a family twice (this year for 3 months) and in 2009 for 4 weeks and my by myself with our youngest in 2011 for 2 weeks. The heartaches will remain for a while but when you start to live life a bit here and see what your children are experiencing it is all worth it :) Internet and telephone are so much more advanced than years ago - and mum is still only a phone call away. So, on to the reason for my message!!!! I seem to think you arrive on Monday and if so, my husband is off work that day (he actually works at Adelaide Airport as an Air Traffic Controller) and if you haven't booked anything and would still like picked up and welcomed etc - we are happy to both come down and meet you (and take both cars) so that you can fit all your luggage and all your family too. We would aim to be down for about 8.30 - 8.45am (customs aren't too bad) but are happy to spin around the airport a bit if we have to wait. Its not a problem. We are also happy to spend some time with you in the morning taking you where you need to go and helping you with any info you (govt forms, supermarkets, real estate, public transport, schools etc) and your family (best ice cream shops, shopping malls, swimming beaches) may need. Anyways, Hope you are able to receive this before you go. Enjoy your flight!!!!! Sarah & David

Hi, I've also just messaged aussie car rentals today so hope we get a response soon. We are across in October for our first ever visit to Australia for our reccie and was wondering if it's worth hiring a car with a GPS or buying a GPS as it'll never go wrong in the future. Not sure of prices yet as still waiting to hear but just wondered what your thoughts were.

Hi, I've also just messaged aussie car rentals today so hope we get a response soon. We are across in October for our first ever visit to Australia for our reccie and was wondering if it's worth hiring a car with a GPS or buying a GPS as it'll never go wrong in the future. Not sure of prices yet as still waiting to hear but just wondered what your thoughts were.

Hi we have hired a car from cut price car and van rental at mile end and it's €20 a day

There does seem to be a change going on with Aussie car rentals, I keep meaning to contact them as we normally recommend them.

Aussie car rentals went into liquidation a few months ago. I think the owner went back home for a family issue and not sure if he came back. I had a car with them and got a phone call telling me if I didn't return it that day I wouldn't be insured!

Adelaide is quite easy to find your way around BUT, we still bought a Sat Nav and it was extremely useful - especially when I was going between places for interviews. Once the first year passed, we used it less and less.....and then I dropped and broke it and we haven't replaced it.

Adelaide is easy, even if you get lost you are never far lost, when working there I got by on the various tourist maps that are available. I don't have a gps/satnav, even Linda whom could not comprehend any map back in the UK loves the street directory maps for Brisbane, and does not even turn the map upside down!

If all fails I use my own GPS system

gps.jpg