Random questions about what to take

Reena1991

Hi everyone, we have got some companies coming over today to give quotes and when we were going through stuff last night, there were, as predicted some slight debates about certain things! So I have a few random questions about certain items that I'm hoping someone can give advice on ( and I may add to this once the shippers have left!)

I'm sure this has been asked before but, can you take electrical stuff and it will work in oz? Primarily the tv?

Do rentals normally have curtains already? We have 3 sets of curtains that we spent quite a 2 bedrooms.

we have a nice Wendy house that is about a year old for our children. Now if we had this in a garden in oz.....would it be a perfect hiding place/breeding ground for spiders?? If so to be perfectly honest I'd rather not bother with it as I don't want to get any surprises on there, although I'm sure at some point il be face to face with some sort of huge spider on the actual house!!

we have quite a lot of wicker furniture, is this able to be shipped?

Thanks very much if you are able to shed light on any of these things and I'm sure il think of something else later to add to the list! :smile:

Electricals are fine. Just plugs are different but bring adaptors and change over time.

Yes, TV's will work. Most likely will need a set top box to get the channels once here though. No biggie.

Curtains may well be pointless to bring tbh. None of mine fit any of the windows in our house here. I knew that they most likely wouldn't fit before we came over so sold them. Not just the width but the drop to the floor is often longer. Bring them anyway as you can perhaps get them alterered to fit smaller windows if need be.

Is it a wooden Wendy house? If so, seriously doubt you can bring it.

Wicker furniture/goods is a no. If you did want to bring it you are prepared to pay a hefty bill to have treated. And by hefty I mean hefty. It may be its still an absolute no regardless of getting it treated tbh. Your shipper will be able to tell you.

Electricals are fine. Just plugs are different but bring adaptors and change over time.

Yes, TV's will work. Most likely will need a set top box to get the channels once here though. No biggie.

Curtains may well be pointless to bring tbh. None of mine fit any of the windows in our house here. I knew that they most likely wouldn't fit before we came over so sold them. Not just the width but the drop to the floor is often longer. Bring them anyway as you can perhaps get them alterered to fit smaller windows if need be.

Is it a wooden Wendy house? If so, seriously doubt you can bring it.

Wicker furniture/goods is a no. If you did want to bring it you are prepared to pay a hefty bill to have treated. And by hefty I mean hefty. It may be its still an absolute no regardless of getting it treated tbh. Your shipper will be able to tell you.

The Wendy house is one of those plastic ones, are you not allowed wooden furniture?? Most of the stuff we own is wooden.....

i didnt know know about the wicker thing, oh dear, again quite a few bits are wicker, eg 6 dining room chairs and 2 sets of drawers :-(

thanks for for reply, at least we can bring the tv....maybe that's all though:wink:

The Wendy house is one of those plastic ones, are you not allowed wooden furniture?? Most of the stuff we own is wooden.....

i didnt know know about the wicker thing, oh dear, again quite a few bits are wicker, eg 6 dining room chairs and 2 sets of drawers :-(

thanks for for reply, at least we can bring the tv....maybe that's all though:wink:

Wooden outdoor garden furniture or wendy houses may not be able to be shipped due to contamination etc. Plastic wendy house will be fine. Give it a good wash down and get all the dirt and stuff off of it.

Wicker is generally a big no to ship. Again as things can get into the wicker. You can have stuff treated but it may work out very pricey to have treated the Aus end. Or disposed of. The AQIS website has all the info on what you can ship and not ship. Also your shipping agents will know what is what and can guide you.

Wooden furniture from inside the house is fine. So long as its treated wood which most of it is these days. Its the untreated stuff they will pull up. But a wooden bookcase or bed frame from a furniture store should be fine IYKWIM.

Guest Guest75
Well, you were right a Snifter, shipping company confirmed no wicker...gutted as we have some really nice drawers and chairs made if wicker :-(.

Does anyone know how you change the plugs, can you do it yourself or is it a job for the electricians.?

I f you have a lot of electricals - say TV/ DVD/ Hifi - but some UK 4 Way sockets before you leave - then on one plug to change!!!

You can relax a little about the spiders - you'll just need to check over any outdoor furniture or toys for "messy" webs from time to time - which are the ones red backs spin. A spray of mortein takes care of them and will deter them for awhile anyway. The big spiders look horrific but are actually pretty friendly in a strange sorta way.

With regard the UK sockets - we are still using a few UK 4 way sockets even after 2 and a half years.

Good plan about the 4 way sockets :-)

now about these big spiders...... The massive ones that people sometimes post pictures of, ie huntsman etc, how do you deal with them. In uk I could never pick one up but am brave enough to use a glass and piece of card to put them outside, however OH just "eliminates" on sight :-( now those massive ones look like they wouldn't fit under a glass and I'm sure I've read that they jump?! And they look far too big to stamp on as well. So what do you do with them? Dont mind them being outside in the garden but not sure I could cope with them being my flat mates! And while we're talking about wildlife, what about those sharks.......;-)

Guest Claire-n-tel

now about these big spiders...... The massive ones that people sometimes post pictures of, ie huntsman etc, how do you deal with them. In uk I could never pick one up but am brave enough to use a glass and piece of card to put them outside, however OH just "eliminates" on sight :-( now those massive ones look like they wouldn't fit under a glass and I'm sure I've read that they jump?! And they look far too big to stamp on as well. So what do you do with them? Dont mind them being outside in the garden but not sure I could cope with them being my flat mates! And while we're talking about wildlife, what about those sharks.......;-)

Hi Reena!.....huntsmen are your friends.....they eat smaller spiders for you!.....just leave them alone......if you really want them out you can get yourself a spider catcher like this http://www.pestrol.com.au/spider-catcher.html

Sharks.....well, yep they are here but the chances of being attacked are tiny according to Wikipedia "There have been 82 recorded Shark attacks in South Australia since the establishment of the colony in 1836."

Its the drop bears that panic me :shocked:

Guest Guest75
Hi Reena!.....huntsmen are your friends.....they eat smaller spiders for you!.....just leave them alone......if you really want them out you can get yourself a spider catcher like this http://www.pestrol.com.au/spider-catcher.html

Sharks.....well, yep they are here but the chances of being attacked are tiny according to Wikipedia "There have been 82 recorded Shark attacks in South Australia since the establishment of the colony in 1836."

Its the drop bears that panic me :shocked:

:biglaugh:............................Don't start me on the Drop Bears - I got told off last time I posted a picture of one.:shocked::cute:

Here speaks someone who has been chased by an angry Koala:arghh::arghh:

Big plastic lunch box, piece of card......that's what I have used. They are fast and a brush is handy to kinda move them into an easier area to catch. I've found wolf spiders harder to catch....they are faster I reckon. In truth, what worries me the most is roos bouncing out in front of the car, not an issue if you are in the city, but anywhere on the fringes and beyond its a risk, especially around dawn and dusk. I see them alarmingly regularly on the sides of the road around here, both dead and alive.

And Tyke, that really doesn't surprise me ;)

I realised when I looked for the creepy crawlies I found them! So I now walk around with my eyes half closed! Im personally lizard & reptile phobic! In our first week we saw a big brown snakes (realised partner is also snake phobic when he ran behind me! !) & then a lizard followed by a gang of his friends walked across our driveway! I survived .....just! !