Views on airlines

Linda21

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to stay positive for my visa by looking at flights - hoping to move out February as I have a job waiting!! Have flown twice with Emirates and although it is a lovely airline the seats killed my knees!! We're also considering other options instead of going to Dubai. As it will be the "big" flight we want to make it more fun for the kids so are considering flying Heathrow - Singapore and then onto Adelaide. Has anyone any views on Singapore Airlines? Do they still offer same service as Emirates, i.e. complimentary drinks/snacks and decent entertainment? Also, what about a stop over at Singapore Airport - considering either a 6 hour, 14 or 16 hour layover, to take in the free tour of the city as well as refresh, sleep and perhaps use the leisure facilities. Has anyone else done this? Just want to reduce the monotony of the flight for the kids (and us) and make it all a bit more exciting. Also planning on a couple of days in London first as my youngest has never been and as he put's it, he may never get the chance again! Any thoughts/views/suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks

My daughter arrived home yesterday after a Singapore Airlines flight from Europe.(Frankfurt) She flies long haul three or four times a year to various destinations. She said it was the worst flight she has had all year, far worse than the last one on Emirates. The other airlines she flies is Cathay Pacific and Air NZ .

She was on a 380 and thought the food was awful, the attendants not that interested and the seats weren't a patch on the previous flights. She is now desperately trying to book Emirates for her next flight at the end on Feb, but has to go with whoever her employer chooses.

I think you can get good and bad flights with all airlines, and you don't get that much choice flying into Adelaide direct.

My other daughter flew mid year via Dubai and she and the children stopped over in Dubai for around 30 hours. at a hotel not far from the airport. The boys spent ages at the aquarium in the Mall and had a wonderful time, as well as just using the hotel pool facilities. The break worked for them, as the longest part is the trip down to Adelaide.

Singapore airlines are always our first choice. Yes to the snacks, drinks and so on. Plus all the usual entertainment viewing available. We have found them to always be good for food, service and so on. My mother flew with the a few months ago coming over here and had only good things to say about them.

We tend to do a 4-6 hour stopover at Changi airport. Pack bathers so we can take a swim in the pool on the hotel roof (costs abouot $13 Singapore dollars pp with towel and use of shower/change room etc). Its fab to have a dip with planes taking off and landing, at night with a lightning storm in the distance. Really gives the little ones a chance to kick back and have some fun too. Never bother with a nap in a hotel then as we rest around the pool or conk out at one of the soft play areas while the little one runs round.

You can do the city tour and stay in one of the transit hotels at the airport for sure if you want a longer stopover. Just ensure to plan your flight times to fit in well with Singapore time so you can have an 8 hour stint there during the day, not overnight ;)

I prefer the Singapore route (and a few other Asian routes like Hong Kong) to Dubai. Also I can't bring myself to use Dubai for ethical reasons (the labour force used to build much of it) and its expense. Its not a city that appeals to me to visit for any reason, end of really. So yeah, I'd always go with Singapore as a route to travel to Adelaide.

Also keep in mind if you are migrating on a permanent unvalidated visa you get an extra 10kg luggage per person on a migrant allowance when you fly with Singapore airlines. Both airlines have 30kg as standard though. You have to book the flights first, then send proof of visa and flight details etc to Singapore airlines via email and they should reply via email agreeing to the extra baggage for free.

We flew Singapore when we came but did a 3 day stop-over; we used Trailfinders to book ours (we always used them when went on any kind of proper trip, not just visiting my Dad in Spain) and got a good deal - for all 5 of us it was under 4,000 GBP, plus we got the extra baggage thing (even though two of us had already validated our visas I think it was the one way ticket that proved we weren't coming back).

We've a friend staying with us at the moment who came with Malaysian and she said it was one of the best flight's she'd been on (and she's been on lots - not just to Aus and back). She stopped over in Kuala Lumpur and said as airports go it was a good one. Her flight seemed quite short too - 12 hours to KL and then just over 6 down to Adelaide.

If you're thinking of coming through Heathrow (which is a terrible airport!) I'd definitely have a few days before hand in London (I'm not sure I could be that organised but...) there's so much to see and it's worth it because you just don't know when you'd see it again. Possibly do Legoland too if you can fit it in either as a day trip from London or head there first and then into London. As to where to stay; we always had friends in Essex so we stayed with them, so can't help.

Hope your visa comes through soon - a great Christmas present.

We prefer Singapore and, if possible, a longer stopover - its a great City to explore. If not do as Snifter suggested and use the pool - we always did that on our annual trips here with a city break on the way back to the UK. Came here on the one-way trip with Cathay as there was nothing availble for our travel dates and were so disappointed - indifferent service and hated the stop-over at Hong Kong (middle of the night, huge and empty terminal, no chance to leave for a city tour and nothing open - perhaps we were just unlucky)

Like jtct says timing of the flights can have a big difference, and we always research our flights for costs, timings, routings, baggage allowances and plane types. I have to say that we fly either as direct and quickly as possible, or incorporate stop-overs as part of the holiday which to us is a minimum of 3 days, anything shorter seems to be a bit more of a hassle with packing/carrying/storing bags, transfers to from airport etc.

A layeover of between 1.5hr to absolute max 5 hr when doing the quick route, this usually gives you time to casually get off and on the planes and explore the airport a little, and have done this in Singapore, Kuala Lumpa, Hong Kong, Bangkok, as well as others and via the USA. A layover of over this 5hrs would be a real killer and becomes non enjoyable along with the second leg of the journey.

Singapore is probably the best (especially with children) for both short layovers and extended stopovers (holiday), Hong Kong is fine too (cathay has poor baggage allowance) we once just caught the service bus into HK on a 5 hr layover. KL we have only done the airport, and again next May for us 4.5hr layover one way 2hr the other way, a 5 hr would give you chance to catch the train into the city for a little explore. Bangkok again only airport layovers for us. Have not being via Middle East yet but will one day just not had a good price yet for our travel dates.

For airline seating then have a look on 'seat guru' web site, I also usually have this site open when booking flights and seats so we do not end up with poor location seats.

Happy flying:smile: