Shipping vw t5 camper any advice !

Lorraineandsean

We have almost! Decided to ship our camper van and all works out financially to do so, but one big but that could tip the scales is knowing what work needs to done to bring the camper in line with Australian regs. could anybody advise. The van is a professionally converted transporter with a pop top. The gas bottle for the cooker is just in a cupboard as in most convertions. The rear bed has a EC loading cert and the front double seat is on a swivel base which is EC certified, we have original fixed base so could put that if needed to ship.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, as we need to make a decision ASAP! Many thanks Lorraine

Edited by Lorraineandsean

Having just bought a vehicle interstate and tried to register here in SA, I can tell you that it is not an easy process for older vehicles (pre 1989). I am not familiar with the VW camper or how old it is. If you could let me know how old it is I can give some further advice. Absolute non starts for imports are any vehicles that do not have their standard engine and induction system, ECU, camshaft etc. All emission control must be as fitted. Vehicle will have to have a full roadworthy inspection.

Hi guerns, Its not an old van it's a 2008 Volkswagen transporter which was originally a commercial van that has been converted, prior to us buying it, it has standard engine etc . Just cannot decide if it's worth the stress or not ! I reckon the difference between our van and all costs to get it there and registered ( apart from this SA requirements,) and buying a similar van in oz is about $5000 + . so if the work that needs to be done ends up being few thousand dollars it's not worth bringing !

Many thanks

lorraine

Edited by Lorraineandsean

http://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/motoring/vehicles-and-registration/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/importing-motor-vehicles

The above link will give you most of the info you need. Child seat restraints will be different to the UK and will need to be fitted for all rear seating positions where there is a seat belt. Any engineers reports will not be worth the paper there written, only engineers approved by SA Gov will be accepted. The above site has a list of approved engineers and their contact details I would contact one now and explain, they are quite helpful. Any of your EC certs are also not recognised here either. As a modified vehicle I expect it going to be difficult, but one of the engineers will be able to help you

We looked to bringing our beloved T5 but sold her in the end. It was going to cost too much to bring her. It was the suggestion customs could slap a big fee on her at the docks, unknown quantity that made us decide to sell her instead. She's gone to a new family who love her, so am happy. I do miss her as she was part of the family for going on 5 years. But life is different for us here, and I live near the beach which more than compensates!

Check out Iron Lady on PIO, they give us a quote. Also message Kooky, they brought over their T4 recently and might be able to help with the ins and outs.

My concern was cost of servicing and especially parts being so expensive in general. There are a few Vw dealers close to the city. I have spotted quite a few new T5s on the road ( transporters not campers) So maybe, more availability for parts etc.

Also, make sure you have decent aircon,.you're gping to need it.

Good luck! See you on the sunny side ;-) x

Edited by wen66