Who to fly with?

Sophie91

Hello

Me and my partner have not long secured our 457 visas and were now going to book our flights, we live in Birmingham and flying to Adelaide first week of March. Any advice on which airline is good to fly with and websites or comparison sites that could get a good deal with? when you travelled to Oz what baggage allowance did you get and how did you bring Laptops out as don't wont to ship over .

Hi, we've flown with Emirates from Newcastle and are planning to fly with Singapore Airlines from London in a few weeks. Each time we have just booked direct with airline as seemed to get the best price. As for laptops, we put them in our hand luggage last time as we needed them when we arrived and didn't trust them to arrive in one piece in our cases! We expect to get a minimum of 30Kg when we emigrate shortly but I've heard you can get 40Kg from Emirates when you emigrate. Someone may give you more info shortly. Good luck.

Guest Claire-n-tel

You will only get a normal baggage allowance with any airline as you are on a temporary visa (457) so are therefore not migrating.

Linda is right, you can carry one laptop each as hand luggage.

Check skyscaner for flights and then go directly to airlines to compare.

good luck :jiggy:

You will only get a normal baggage allowance with any airline as you are on a temporary visa (457) so are therefore not migrating.

Check skyscaner for flights and then go directly to airlines to compare.

You may have left it a little late to get the best prices for flying in March, try several of the online booking sites as they do have differing discounts and credit card fees, also try the airline sites themselves. We have done both as well as used travel agents in trying to get the best flight prices/routes/timings.

Check skyscaner for flights and then go directly to airlines to compa

We got double baggage with Qantas on a 457.........

My advice is choose an airline that flies direct to Adelaide. All airlines will stop in Asia, but then some will do a stop in Sydney/Melbourne as well. With such a long flight, even though it only adds an hour or two's flying time, it really does add to the exhaustion factor and you need to add in another lot of waiting in the airport.

The airlines that fly direct to Adelaide as their first stop in Australia are (as far as I know) Emirates - via Dubai, Malaysian - via Kuala Lumpar, Singapore Airlines - via Singapore and Cathay Pacific - via Hong Kong. There may be others I'm unaware of. As far as I know, Malaysian and Emirates both offer 30kg luggage allowance instead of the usual 20kg.

We used Skyscanner recently when looking for flights to the UK in a few months and then booked via the airline direct, not the Skyscanner site. By the time Skyscanner had added on fees etc the price difference was only $15.

I am very specific about which airlines I like to fly with so choices were limited for me. We just tried to keep within our budget and did this with the adusting of departure and return date by a week and making the trip 2 days shorter overall. Saved $400.

When in the UK I would always book with the airline direct. I liked Singapore Airlines prices from the UK, they were usually one of the best carriers with the cheapest or cheaper prices, plus I liked the route via Singapore.

Check the standard luggage allowance. Singapore airlines, Emirates, its 30kg. Maybe some others also. Some still go with 23kg iirc.

We got double baggage with Qantas on a 457.........

Not sure when you came out but it may have been that was in the time Qantas did offer a migrant allowance.

Afaik they stopped it a couple of years ago now but it may still be something to check for PR.

The only airline I know who offer extra are Singapore. And since they increased the standard to 30kg, they only give an extra 10 now.

We flew last week with Singapore Airlines who were fine. We had an extra seat on the first leg next to us which was great but the second leg was full. We booked direct with Singapore Airlines website in UK. 30kg baggage allowance however as I was on permanent resident visa I was allowed 40kg. We are a family of 5 so we had a total of 160kg and we came in at 159kg!! We also had a cabin baggage each plus my handbag, husbands laptop and toddler's lunch box. ( We had checked previously with Airline that we could take little one's food as he is extremely fussy and they were fine with this so long as no drinks over 100ml), plus we had an extra backpack so 9 hand luggage bags in total. I think they weighed them at check in at Heathrow and two were over the 7kg allowance but they didn't charge us or ask us to check one of the bags in although I think we were just lucky as at Singapore when the flight was full, they were announcing that any more than one cabin bag per person would need to be checked in. Nobody asked us to check anything in when we boarded the flight so we managed to just about get away with it!

One tip if you do fly with Singapore Airlines is to try and have a swim in the transit hotel roof top swimming pool. We had about 5 hours between flights and we all had a dip in the pool, shower and change of clothes. This was the best bit of the flight! Swimming in the humid, tropical night after a gruelling flight was bliss and made us feel just about able to face the second leg of the journey pretty refreshed. You get a free soft drink as well along with towels for about 13 Singapore dollars per person. I don't know the exchange rate but it was well worth the money.